ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #4711
Wolfy01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Loveland CO
Oddometer: 13
Hot wireing a KLR in a emergency

Does anyone have any experience in Hot wiring a KLR in a emergency. I am heading up to the Hudson bay area , very isolated , at one point at least 300 miles from the nearest town. Thought I should at least know how if possible. On one of my other bikes I carry a jumper for this purpose if I loose a switch or ignition etc.

Thanks
Wolfy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #4712
IDRIDR
Take me to the River
 
IDRIDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy01 View Post
Does anyone have any experience in Hot wiring a KLR in a emergency. I am heading up to the Hudson bay area , very isolated , at one point at least 300 miles from the nearest town. Thought I should at least know how if possible. On one of my other bikes I carry a jumper for this purpose if I loose a switch or ignition etc.

Thanks
This is not something many of us want to discuss on a public forum. As you very well know, KLR's are rare, extremely valuable and highly sought after. Explaining how to hot-wire one is just opening the door to the drooling thieves. The anti-theft system is superb. We cannot tell you.



But it can be done.





.
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #4713
Wolfy01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Loveland CO
Oddometer: 13
Please !!!!

OK we dont want a run on KLR s Please send me a PM if you know how. Thanks







Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
This is not something many of us want to discuss on a public forum. As you very well know, KLR's are rare, extremely valuable and highly sought after. Explaining how to hot-wire one is just opening the door to the drooling thieves. The anti-theft system is superb. We cannot tell you.



But it can be done.





.
Wolfy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #4714
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy01 View Post
OK we dont want a run on KLR s Please send me a PM if you know how. Thanks
Uh . . . spare KEY?

Wiring diagrams for KLR650s, generations 1 and 2, on the web suggest some hot-wiring possibilities . . .
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #4715
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
I realize that most of you on here are already shopping at eagle mike but for those of you who aren't yet I just wanted to say I highly recommend it. I just installed the ais kit, klr needle mod today and he walked me through it on the phone, nice to see you CAN still get somebody standing behind their product with great service.

Cheers.
Mike is very active on klr650.net. He's a great guy, very helpful and gives a lot to the community.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #4716
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy01 View Post
OK we dont want a run on KLR s Please send me a PM if you know how. Thanks
I posted a pic of the Gen1 diagram on the other thread, Rocket science not necessary.....
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #4717
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer
 
jeepsandbikes's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 101
did a little walk around video of my bike ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxQOzZAKz8
__________________
A bad day of riding is better then a good day of work
jeepsandbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #4718
Wolfy01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Loveland CO
Oddometer: 13
I have a spare key, You have never had a switch go bad a wire go bad, a relay go bad a ignition go bad, A key doesnt help much, a good jumper wire and the right connection does
Do you have a link , Im a total idiot when it comes to wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Uh . . . spare KEY?

Wiring diagrams for KLR650s, generations 1 and 2, on the web suggest some hot-wiring possibilities . . .
Wolfy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #4719
Wolfy01
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Loveland CO
Oddometer: 13
I have a 2012 and what thread are you talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I posted a pic of the Gen1 diagram on the other thread, Rocket science not necessary.....
Wolfy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #4720
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
did a little walk around video of my bike ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxQOzZAKz8
Your Gen1 stamped head pipe will disintegrate in short order when wrapped with heat tape. No sure about the stainless Gen2 pipes but prefer to let air cooling of pipe...
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #4721
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lakser's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bushwick, Brooklyn NY
Oddometer: 101
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
KLR's are rare, extremely valuable and highly sought after.

.
I have never herd of a KLR being described this way?
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4722
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy01 View Post
I have a spare key, You have never had a switch go bad a wire go bad, a relay go bad a ignition go bad, A key doesnt help much, a good jumper wire and the right connection does
Do you have a link , Im a total idiot when it comes to wiring
Yes, I have a link, to RoberTX's Generation 2 wiring diagram! However, if you're a total idiot to wiring, as you claim, I doubt it will be of much use to you:

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...0corrected.jpg

HINT: A subtle, "break-before-make" electrical maneuver is necessary to breathe fire into the beast.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 03:56 PM
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #4723
IDRIDR
Take me to the River
 
IDRIDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakser View Post
I have never herd of a KLR being described this way?
Nor have I.
Sarcasm
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #4724
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie
 
GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Cville Virgina
Oddometer: 272
Just hit it with a rock. Or bring a small multimeter, and hit it with that.
__________________
Thank you!
Now Go Outside!
GO_OUTSIDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #4725
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Newfiebullet's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Goose Bay, Labrador
Oddometer: 193
racks

Has anyone tried these racks?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KLR-650-Side-...RTM759771#shId

I like the price. They're almost cheap enough to make it not worth while making my own, though these wouldn't be as sturdy as something I make myself.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014