Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #4771
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post

A while ago I went into the wiring harness to eliminate all the wires that weren't necessary. ...
Wait. There are wires that are not necessary?!? More info please

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #4772
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,070
It will probably be easier for me to post a copy of my wiring diagram to explain what I've removed.

All the wires that are associated with the safety lockouts (neutral, sidestand). Turn signal..... and some others... I don't even have a key anymore....shhhh don't tell anyone...

I have a trailtech vapor so there are wires associated with the speedo that are no longer needed...

This type of mod is not for the faint of heart... There's a lot that can be screwed up by doing the stuff that I've done. But I have slimmed down the harness so there's just not as much garbage in there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #4773
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,623
Thumb

Quote:
But I have slimmed down the harness so there's just not as much garbage in there.

Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #4774
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Nice work wparkinson,Ive follow your KLR on the other sites and you do some good stuff,and ride it hard!
Thanks man I do what I can.... The KLR is a fun bike to have.. and Yes... I try to ride it hard....

WP
Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #4775
wparkinson
Gear Whore

I took the wiring diagram that is floating around the internet.. I am not sure who to give credit to but whoever did it I give major props to.. without it I would have been lost....

I found the diagram here.....http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2008...iring-diagram/

Here is my new diagram

KLR Wire 2-3 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

wparkinson screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 08:51 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #4776
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
I took the wiring diagram that is floating around the internet.. I am not sure who to give credit to but whoever did it I give major props to.. without it I would have been lost....

I found the diagram here.....http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2008...iring-diagram/

Here is my new diagram

Maybe Edwin Parkinson? lol
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #4777
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Well being I am Edwin Parkinson.. I know who did the one in the pic... I was referring to the one that is in the link...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #4778
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,077
Has anyone ever dealt with a foot peg nut that is dislodged (weld tack broken) I bought a 03' KLR and when I took the centerstand off I found that the previous asshole had broken the nut off inside somehow and I had to fight with the screw to get it out...now it won't go back in and catch the nut which has fallen down inside the mount.

I attached a pic but you can't see much. Looking at centerstand over the mount and you can just see in the very back the nut. I managed to get it into position a couple of times but it won't thread on. Any ideas?

2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #4779
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Has anyone ever dealt with a foot peg nut that is dislodged (weld tack broken) I bought a 03' KLR and when I took the centerstand off I found that the previous asshole had broken the nut off inside somehow and I had to fight with the screw to get it out...now it won't go back in and catch the nut which has fallen down inside the mount.

I attached a pic but you can't see much. Looking at centerstand over the mount and you can just see in the very back the nut. I managed to get it into position a couple of times but it won't thread on. Any ideas?

Cut the face of the box off with a cut-off tool, weld some real nuts on the back there and weld the box back together.
That's the only real fix, and I'm sure that your friendly neighborhood welder can set you up pretty cheap-like.

For a cheap fix, you could weld the footpeg bracket to the box and call it a deal, that'll work forever if you have a decent welder do it. I had mine done in Gunnison, Colorado (I was on a trip) by a welder who was working on a shop full of farm machinery, that weld would have withstood a nuclear attack.

For the wrong fix, drill a hole through the frame there and run an extra-long bolt through the box and frame and put a nut on it. Like the dummy did that sold me an '04 parts bike.

Edit: I suppose you could also use a couple of Heli-coils, but you'd still have that nut rattling around in there...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #4780
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
There is a link on klr650.net for addressing some of these issues.

Go to forums/Maintenance, Mods and Tech/Procedures and How-to articles/Footpeg bolts - Fix w/ HELICOIL or WELDING

Good luck.

Kevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post

Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #4781
wparkinson
Gear Whore

CA stu got it right. ... I just did this. I drilled out the old nuts with a 3/4 hole saw.... took a piece of 1/4 in flat bar and welded the new nuts to the back of that and welded that on... google up klr foot peg repair and it will come up.

I wouldn't weld the foot peg bracket on because you can't get the motor out if needed....

WP

Link... you may have to be a member... if you have a klr and you are not then shame on you....
http://klrworld.com/forums/*-frame-h...r-by-michaeln/

wparkinson screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 12:04 PM
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #4782
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:

Here is my new diagram

I like this. My bike could use a serious re-wiring...I'm it's 4th owner, and the first owner did some serious hack job on it. It's an '08, and there is no fairing, headlight gone, no dash, gauges, windshield. IMS tank. Vapor computer. Trailtech headlight. the tab on the headstock that sticks out between the forks to mount things on has been removed with a sawzall. No sidestand switch, clutch switch, or neutral switch. Wiring is all screwed up - not looking forward to ever dealing with an electrical problem.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #4783
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Go on ebay and get a new harness for less than 50 bucks... then take yours with a diagram and do what you want. I was never worried because a replacement is relatively cheap and available.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #4784
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Go on ebay and get a new harness for less than 50 bucks... then take yours with a diagram and do what you want. I was never worried because a replacement is relatively cheap and available.

do you mean a new harness, or 'another' harness? I don't see any new ones...only old ones with damage for $40-$80 with shipping from $40-$50.

To spend upwards of $120 for a broken used harness, I'd rather just take my time this winter with a good diagram, my soldering iron, and go from there - Make my own harness and shrinkwrap & loom the entire thing.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #4785
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
do you mean a new harness, or 'another' harness? I don't see any new ones...only old ones with damage for $40-$80 with shipping from $40-$50.

To spend upwards of $120 for a broken used harness, I'd rather just take my time this winter with a good diagram, my soldering iron, and go from there - Make my own harness and shrinkwrap & loom the entire thing.
Here is one from an 09 would work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Kawasaki-...1decf3&vxp=mtr

I have bought from them... they good to deal with..

WP