Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #4786
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
CA stu got it right. ... I just did this. I drilled out the old nuts with a 3/4 hole saw.... took a piece of 1/4 in flat bar and welded the new nuts to the back of that and welded that on... google up klr foot peg repair and it will come up.
I've done that fix a couple ways and the way you did your's was best method imho.
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #4787
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,195
Foot Peg nut...

Thanks for the help guys...kinda figured I would be doing some cutting and welding.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #4788
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I've done that fix a couple ways and the way you did your's was best method imho.
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #4789
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 287
Fuel flow frustration!

I am officialy surrendering. When my tank gets half empty i start having fuel flow problems. I thought it was the petcock and have over the course of several operations dismantled it to the point that it is now completely gutted of all the vacuum bits. It is now just a standard reserve/on/off valve. And still when i get to a little less than half tank it acts like I hit reserve, but reserve wont help. I need to pull over shake the tank and jiggle the fuel line before it will start flowing fuel again. I have a gutted clear fuel filter in place so i can see the fuel flow.
The worst part is it always happens right after a full throttle goose to finally pass that car with that spouse who just cant stand the idea of returning to their miserable home or pulling out into traffic. I know they are laughing at me.
I have read of replacing the petcock but i feel like i have already done that and the fuel flows great on the bench.
Any advice?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #4790
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
I am officialy surrendering. When my tank gets half empty i start having fuel flow problems. I thought it was the petcock and have over the course of several operations dismantled it to the point that it is now completely gutted of all the vacuum bits. It is now just a standard reserve/on/off valve. And still when i get to a little less than half tank it acts like I hit reserve, but reserve wont help. I need to pull over shake the tank and jiggle the fuel line before it will start flowing fuel again. I have a gutted clear fuel filter in place so i can see the fuel flow.
The worst part is it always happens right after a full throttle goose to finally pass that car with that spouse who just cant stand the idea of returning to their miserable home or pulling out into traffic. I know they are laughing at me.
I have read of replacing the petcock but i feel like i have already done that and the fuel flows great on the bench.
Any advice?
Sounds like your tank vent is plugged.
Next time it happens, shut off the bike and open the tank and listen for the "pssht" of sucking air.

When the tank is full, you've got nearly 50lb of fuel pressurizing your fuel lines, which is probably enough to overcome the vaccuum.
Also when you park overnight, the vaccume probably leaks off enough that you can start and go for a run until you've been running awhile and start pulling more fuel...once a vaccuum builds up, that full throttle goose is going to draw more fuel and you'll go lean, then stumble.

FILL your tank, then in the shop, run a fuel line from the Petcock to a 5 gallon Jerry can and with the gas cap closed, let fuel drain into the Jerry can until it slows to a trickle, then open the gas cap.

The vent line from the perimiter of the filler cap to the base of the tank may be clogged, or the vent line that connects to the barb at the base of the tank and may be pinched or clogged with mud.

I have my own question on that... The hose is missing on my 04.(I assume there's supposed to be one?) The vent just terminates right there under the front horn of the seat.
Sitting on the bike on a hot day, the smell of raw gas wafts up from my crotch.
Should that barb have a hose connected to the airbox maybe?
I thought maybe to the front of the swingarm with the battery vent, but realized if I drove through a puddle deep enough for the line to reach water, the tank would suck water in like a straw.
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #4791
wparkinson
Gear Whore

I think you have it pretty well nailed down... but I have never heard of the straw sucking theory. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the vent line sucking water.

I do know if you don't T mod the bike will die out if you go through water...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #4792
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

I had suspected the tank vent also. The line is clear and the path through the gas cap is clear (ive blown them through with compressed air.
Every time I work on the tank I drain it into a gas can and it runs strong until empty with the cap shut.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #4793
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
I had suspected the tank vent also. The line is clear and the path through the gas cap is clear (ive blown them through with compressed air.
Every time I work on the tank I drain it into a gas can and it runs strong until empty with the cap shut.
Perhaps the fuel filter you are using it restricting flow? They make a few different sizes, and I know that on some bikes, the smaller Visufilter do not flow enough, especially when the tank gets lower.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #4794
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oh just bite the bullet.... get the ims tank... no venting issues there...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #4795
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

I suspected the filter first. Someone told me a while back that KLR650's wont flow gas through an inline filter. I still dont see how they would be any different than any other gravity feed bike but I took a drill and gutted the filter anyway.
As for an IMS tank, I am still having trouble finding funding. I blew my wad on Sidi adventure goretex boots and Aerostich gear. Which I love!!! But it is probably in the future, as in after I sell my house to pay for the gear.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #4796
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
I suspected the filter first. Someone told me a while back that KLR650's wont flow gas through an inline filter. I still dont see how they would be any different than any other gravity feed bike but I took a drill and gutted the filter anyway.
As for an IMS tank, I am still having trouble finding funding. I blew my wad on Sidi adventure goretex boots and Aerostich gear. Which I love!!! But it is probably in the future, as in after I sell my house to pay for the gear.
I missed the "gutted" aspect of that when I first read it, sorry about that. Did you enlarge the in/out barbs when you gutted it also? Perhaps they are too small? I can't imagine it, but I don't know how small they might be.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #4797
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
I've ran an in-line filter for a while now with no problems, even tho I recall someone saying it can't be done.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #4798
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I've ran an in-line filter for a while now with no problems, even tho I recall someone saying it can't be done.
+1. Had an inline filter since I've owned the bike. Never had a problem, although I suspected it once, but the filter wasn't the problem, it was venting issue

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #4799
samkat
Zoloft warrior

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
+2
I just put them on everything.when you see what winds up in fuel tanks you wouldn't go without.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #4800
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you can't run them, and I have a large one on my own bike.

However, on the Xt250, I used to own one, I recall several folks having problems with the smaller models not flowing enough when the tank got below about 1/2 full. The KLR650 drinks more, so it's understandable that it too could suffer the same problem.