Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #4891
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
I've just read your PDF reports, man you've got too much time on your hands, but thanks for the effort.
Wasn't me personally but a local owner/engineer who finds that kind of stuff 'fun'. The same who designed the famous Thermobob. Others, myself included, appreciate it regardless!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #4892
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Wasn't me personally but a local owner/engineer who finds that kind of stuff 'fun'. The same who designed the famous Thermobob. Others, myself included, appreciate it regardless!
Wattman's tests are under specfic controlled and consistant riding/commuting conditions around Phoenix, AZ. He is a meticulous reseach automotive engineer. I would not consider his results as typical.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #4893
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Just ordered a Moab shock and front suspension for my 2013 model. Took quite a while on the phone, which is a good thing. I told him to send the best set up possible for my bike.

About $950 altogether, which seems exorbitant, but I think it will be well worthwhile.
Cogent suspension upgrades made a world of difference in the happiness quotient when riding my KLR. Excellent people to work with, fantastic service and quality product. Not cheap, but high quality. After you get it installed let us know what you think.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #4894
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Sure thing!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #4895
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Wheatwhacker mod complete

I wanted to add a windshield bag to the KLR, and needed a bit more room, so this morning I took a grinder to the fairing and made the cuts. I went to the hardware store for some aluminum rivets, but the ones I brought home weren't long enough, so I used some steel rivets I already had.

Plenty of room for the windshield bag now.

Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #4896
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cat View Post
I did the "L" mod to my airbox and removed the snorkel quite a while ago. It did seem to pull in a lot more air, but with that came leaves, dirt bugs, etc. Not too cool, but I just got used to cleaning my K&N more often.
Then came Hot Cams.

"Congratulations on your purchase. Your stock airbox will need to be repeatedly assulted with a large hole saw in order for your bike to run properly..."

...or something like that, according to the instructions.
Seeing the potential for even more cleanings, I thought this might work better than big, open holes. Perforated aluminum from some electronics equipment housing, cut to fit the hole I made and held in place with quick rivets after drilling a few holes. I used other pieces to cover the snorkel hole and the earlier "L" mod. Flows plently of air, seems to keep the debris out, and looks kind of cool, although you really can"t see it.
It's KLR cheap, too.
if you ride your bike in dusty conditions you need to get rid of that k&N. They let small particles through, and are not designed to be used in dusty conditions. A good foam filter like uni or no toil is much better.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #4897
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I wanted to add a windshield bag to the KLR, and needed a bit more room, so this morning I took a grinder to the fairing and made the cuts. I went to the hardware store for some aluminum rivets, but the ones I brought home weren't long enough, so I used some steel rivets I already had.

Plenty of room for the windshield bag now.

you might want to have the windscreen pointing strait up ,
I might be coming your way next month ... you going to be around ?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #4898
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
you might want to have the windscreen pointing strait up ,
I might be coming your way next month ... you going to be around ?
I'll be back at work, but yes, I'll be around.

I don't know that I'd want to push the windshield any further than I have it. I'm already not a fan of how it obstructs the view in trail riding.

As it is, it must be making a difference because at hwy speed I can hear the motor, which I couldn't before. But there is some turbulance, and my helmet seems to get tossed around more.

Over all, I can't say that I'd really recommend the mod, though I do like the looks.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #4899
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Over all, I can't say that I'd really recommend the mod, though I do like the looks.
Yeah, it's definetely a hit and miss thing, depending on a bunch of factors, including the rider's position, height, angle of the screen, etc. I was happy with mine over the stock position, but then I ditched the entire thing, and now am even more happy.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #4900
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Yeah, it's definetely a hit and miss thing, depending on a bunch of factors, including the rider's position, height, angle of the screen, etc. I was happy with mine over the stock position, but then I ditched the entire thing, and now am even more happy.
That's the funny part. I preferred the stock fairing with no windshield most of all, and never really intended on keeping the windshield on. But I liked the idea of having a windshield bag, and it wouldn't work with the stock fairing, so I decided to take the grinder to it.

Going to do a highway trip this weekend, I think, so I should know after 1000kms or so if I'll get used to it, or if I'll dump the whole works. No fairing means more wind in your face, but at least it's clean air. With the modified fairing I find my head gets tossed around a lot.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #4901
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
That's the funny part. I preferred the stock fairing with no windshield most of all, and never really intended on keeping the windshield on. But I liked the idea of having a windshield bag, and it wouldn't work with the stock fairing, so I decided to take the grinder to it.

Going to do a highway trip this weekend, I think, so I should know after 1000kms or so if I'll get used to it, or if I'll dump the whole works. No fairing means more wind in your face, but at least it's clean air. With the modified fairing I find my head gets tossed around a lot.

No windshield on mine either. Its a bit louder, but less turbulent.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #4902
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 101
youll get buffiting in a bad spot depending on your height ..
I have a +4 screen with the fairing mod . i want to add a small spoiler to completely eliminate the buffiting . it was awful with the +4 windscreen without the mod .
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #4903
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,076
I put a small spoiler on top of my windscreen with fairing mod, eliminates the head buffeting but I still get helmet vibration...put up with it on a recent 14,000km trip...better than no windscreen in my opinion.

2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #4904
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
I put a small spoiler on top of my windscreen with fairing mod, eliminates the head buffeting but I still get helmet vibration...put up with it on a recent 14,000km trip...better than no windscreen in my opinion.

Lappeman! I love it! That's the way a KLR's supposed to look like - all dirty and all loaded up. Where did you get the spoiler from?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4905
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Lappeman! I love it! That's the way a KLR's supposed to look like - all dirty and all loaded up. Where did you get the spoiler from?
It was from A Vicious Cycle http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...productid=7620

Dirty and overloaded
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote