Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #4906
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
I've been busy wrenching on the sidewalk the past few weeks - scheduled to head to BC from Montreal tomorrow.

So of course right now the bike is completely apart while I sort out last-minute electrical farkles (question will follow in the next post!)

The KLRs state earlier this year:

DSC_2810.jpg by Motojournalism.com, on Flickr

Black plastic = handguard fairings and Wheat Whacker mod:

(forks off for progressive springs and Eagle Mike fork brace/ Acerbis supermoto fender)

DSC_2941.jpg by Motojournalism.com, on Flickr

Jesse luggage in Charcoal - KLR is in Cross-Canada mode - installing Denali LEDs now...

DSC_2956.jpg by Motojournalism.com, on Flickr

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #4907
KLR Clown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
So what is the big deal with the wheat wacker mod? What is the benifit.
KLR Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #4908
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

OK, maybe you folks can give some suggestions about this LED install

Plan A:
I connected the wiring according the the dual intensity diagram,(power wire to low beam, 100% intensity wire to high beam) tapping in to the high and low beam KLR wires directly behind the headlight.

Result:
KLR Low beam = LEDs Low beam
KLR High beam = LEDs off

knocking on the control box caused LED flickering - not sure what to make of that

Plan B:
I attached the wires according to the Full intensity diagram (power wire and 100% intensity trigger wire to lo beam wire)

Result:
KLR Low beam = LED high beam
KLR High beam = LEDs off!

It ain't a show-stopper, I can run with high beam only/no LED or low beam + LED, but it's not ideal!

Suggestions?

Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 08:12 PM
Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #4909
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR Clown View Post
Less wind on your torso and helmet - provided you are the right height and your riding position agrees with it.

For me it means less wind noise in the helmet and pressure on my chest. My comfortable cruising speed went up 10-15kmh

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #4910
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,074
I wired my Duallys into my high beam lead. All 3 of my lights are powered by relays.

Basically 2 of these relays, one for high beam, one for low beam:

And instead of the switch, just use the factory high/low beam leads. Much more effective and provides full power to both the LED lamps and the halogen lamp.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #4911
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
For me it was more space behind the fairing, and I like the look. I'm not 100% happy with the change, and I'd suggest riding a bike with it done before you start cutting.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #4912
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
For those who ride long distances or spend a lot of time riding there are several issues that make for a more pleasant, comfortable ride with less fatigue;

1. Wind management or aerodynamic control. Sitting behind as smooth as possible flowing air reduces pressure on the upper body and head and reduces helmet buffeting. Sitting the the section of air before too many of the unstable air vorticies begin. By tilting the sceen forward, that throws the air stream off it higher. It takes time to get that sorted out to ones satisfaction.

2. Not discussed in this thread is ergonomics. Where, how far forward and at what height your hands and arms rest. Seat shape, foot rest positions.

Sit on something the size of a bar stool for upwards of 12 hours a day at x MPH and you will understand.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 06:03 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #4913
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
I wired my Duallys into my high beam lead. All 3 of my lights are powered by relays.

Basically 2 of these relays, one for high beam, one for low beam:

And instead of the switch, just use the factory high/low beam leads. Much more effective and provides full power to both the LED lamps and the halogen lamp.
Thanks for the diagram, I'll file it away for this winter

Solved the issue thanks to one of the KLR forums!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGTI View Post
You used the low beam light for the "switched 12v power"?
If so, that is your problem. You need to tap into the city lights 12v or tail/license plate light. The low beam shuts off when the high beem is selected.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #4914
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,074
Got my LED gauge lights in today. Turns out the high beam is a regular 194 style bulb, not a #24 that I bought for it

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me

XpressCS screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 08:45 PM
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #4915
FrolickingOtter
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Another Happy Cogent Dynamics Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
Cogent suspension upgrades made a world of difference in the happiness quotient when riding my KLR. Excellent people to work with, fantastic service and quality product. Not cheap, but high quality. After you get it installed let us know what you think.
About a month ago I installed a Cogent Dynamics Moab shock on my '08 KLR. While at it I installed their fork springs, valving, and oil. All this was in preparation for the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR) which we ran last week. What a difference! It is a cliché to say it handled like a different bike, but it did. I felt way more confident with all the WABDR threw at me. I ran it last year with stock suspension and the difference was profound. Yes, it is expensive (20% of what I have into my bike), but damn do I like what it did. I also echo PacificPT's comment that they were great to work with. I really appreciate that there is quality suspension available for the humble KLR.
FrolickingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #4916
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
For me it was more space behind the fairing, and I like the look. I'm not 100% happy with the change, and I'd suggest riding a bike with it done before you start cutting.
Yep; hard to go back. I don't like the look so I went with a taller recurve windscreen instead figuring if I didn't like it, I could remove a few bolts and be back to stock in 2 minutes.

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #4917
tom c
Scratch & Dent

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
Cogent suspension upgrades made a world of difference in the happiness quotient when riding my KLR. Excellent people to work with, fantastic service and quality product. Not cheap, but high quality. After you get it installed let us know what you think.
The folks at Cogent are building my KLR shock today! I'm also doing the total upgrade, rear shock, fork springs, DDC cartridge. I can hardly wait to feel the diff!
Where's Tom?
tom c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #4918
SD26
Tryin' to forget...

Oddometer: 8
Put in some Progressive fork springs, removed the fork brace. I liked the way the bike cornered. Still wasn't happy with the grip from the rear. My bike came with a Wilbers shock. I removed it, pulled the spring off it which was something like a 350# spring, and I installed a spring off either my Buell or my GSXR. It was measured at 510#. Works really well. I don't have the rear tire slip after the shock collapses so much when I corner harder.
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #4919
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Put in some Progressive fork springs, removed the fork brace. I liked the way the bike cornered. Still wasn't happy with the grip from the rear. My bike came with a Wilbers shock. I removed it, pulled the spring off it which was something like a 350# spring, and I installed a spring off either my Buell or my GSXR. It was measured at 510#. Works really well. I don't have the rear tire slip after the shock collapses so much when I corner harder.
You want to sell that fork brace?
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #4920
SD26
Tryin' to forget...

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
You want to sell that fork brace?
PM in coming to you!
SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote