Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Stevevh OP
Kudu Driver

Oddometer: 283
XR650R Electric wiring questions

Hi guys,

I am in the process of rewiring the BRP with a larger stator, headlight blinkers and tail light. I also purchased a rectifier and battery for a DC system. I have a few questions regarding the setup.

1: What systems should be run off the AC directly, if any?
2: Should I install a fuse box and if so where does it go?
3: If anyone has a wiring diagram of the above mentioned setup it would be much appreciated.(Including the rectifier and battery)

Thanks guys,

Steve
Stevevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Superhunk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevh
Hi guys,

I am in the process of rewiring the BRP with a larger stator, headlight blinkers and tail light. I also purchased a rectifier and battery for a DC system. I have a few questions regarding the setup.

1: What systems should be run off the AC directly, if any?
2: Should I install a fuse box and if so where does it go?
3: If anyone has a wiring diagram of the above mentioned setup it would be much appreciated.(Including the rectifier and battery)

Thanks guys,

Steve
Here's a link to the upgraded stator instructions from Baja Designs...http://tinyurl.com/gxcql
They have the headlight running off the AC side of the stator, and all other lights/signals run off of the DC side. Make sure you float the grounds when you rewind the stator or you will fry the reg/rec.

I'm installing an upgraded stator right now as well. I bought a used Electra Sport stator off fleabay, and found out that the grounds weren't floated. Not such a good deal anymore, as I already have a reg/rec setup. I know you can re-wire the grounds, but I didn't want to get into it, so I bought a ricky stator setup. Very nice work, and great directions.

Good luck, and let there be LIGHT!
Superhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
It depends on if you are rewiring yourself or having the stator rewound by Baja Designs, or installing a Ricky Stator.

BD and Ricky Stator both only do dual coil stators. Generally, one coil is ran through the stock regulator and powers the headlight on AC voltage right from the stator. The second coil is fed to a dual sport kit and it's regulator/rectifier -> battery and everything else runs on DC. Obviously, you will need the stock regulator AND the DSK regulator/rectifier plus the associated wiring.

If you are doing your own rewind, generally you will do a single high output coil. In this case you have a few options;

If you have a DSK, just plug the rewound stator into the reg/rec as usual and everything will run off the battery (DC). This works fine with 55/60W bulbs. Much higher wattage bulbs can draw more amps than the DSK wiring and handlebar switch can handle. To alleviate this problem, you can wire in 12VDC relays that do the heavy duty switching and your handlebar switch simply supplies the 12VDC low current coil voltage to the relay.

Or, you can wire your headlight in series (dedicated heavier guage wiring) with the stator and the regulator side of the reg/rec (generally two yellow wires on the regulator side). This way, the headlight will run off of AC voltage straight from the stator, while the rest of the stator's juice runs through the DSK reg/rec as normal and the rest of your system runs off the battery (DC).

Feel free to mail me directly if you want.
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Stevevh OP
Kudu Driver

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Excuse my stupidity but what exactly does it mean to "Float the grounds" The articles I read dont mention that term and after rewinding it myself and firing up the bike all seems well. ie no blown electrics. One thing though is at idle the light is full brightness, however it does flicker with the engine rpms.(This goes away after the bike warms up to a more steady idle). Is this because it is running off of AC power?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
I rewound my lighting coils to higher output, I have not been able to test it yet but will try this weekend, the CDI ignition box is on the stock windings and left alone, I right now run everything to the stock harness with a HD ricky Stator AC regulator ( 20.00) this means everything runs on AC not DC and no power when bike not running. I am also considering how skinny the stock harness is and considering building up a new harness with 16ga or heavier wire for everything.

things to consider when modifying your electrical system
1. does your state require the parking lights be run when bike not running, if yes that means battery and battery means DC, if no then do you run any electricals that require DC.
2. if your running a battery how are you going to turn it on and off, you have to sepperate the battery from the system some how when it is not running, this can be a set of contacts on a switch or an electronic issolation circuit. but if you don't when your not running current will flow from battery and ruin battery by discharge too much.
3. Issolated ground on DC systems. Here is what they talk about,, when you have a simple DC system, IE stator wired to the regulator/dc rectifier you have two sections. one section is the AC that comes from the stator to the reg/rec then you have the DC section that comes out of the reg/rec and includes all the stuff powered by the battery. what they are talking about is making sure that the wires from the stator do not get tied to the chassis anyplace but instead only go to the red/rec. then the DC ground gets tied to the chassis. this is easy to do on the XR as the two leads from the stator are issolated asnyway. the key is not to create a loop that allows un-regulated power to bypass the reg/rec

myself I am just running AC, I have not issolated a reason to ad the hassle of a battery
I hope this helps

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Stevevh OP
Kudu Driver

Help!!

Hey guys,

Well I gutted the Pig today and after about an hour figured out that I am in way over my head. This should be simple. I mean there are only what...10 maybe 12 wires? This is what I cant figure out. Please educate me in what the following are and what they do....

This is the cable from the stator. Which wires connect to the rectifier?

Which wires do you connect the rectifier too? Here is the rectifier..

Where is the regulator on this bike? Cant seem to find it.

After the rectifier what goes where? I have the Procycle wiring harness and cant figure how the harness ties in with the stator. Once I sort that part out the rest is relatively easy.

One other thing. Some people mention installing fuses in the harness. Where should I place the fuses and which fuses should I use.

Thanks guys,

Steve
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
kellyk7
Who knows

Quote:
Hey guys,

Well I gutted the Pig today and after about an hour figured out that I am in way over my head. This should be simple. I mean there are only what...10 maybe 12 wires? This is what I cant figure out. Please educate me in what the following are and what they do....

This ( above ) is the voltage regulator - if your converting to DC this will be coming out,

This above is the CDI box for the Ignition, this stays I assume your not messing with the Ignition

This above is the Coil,

The Blue and the yellow ( male connectors ) are for the Regulator, the Red and blue wires ( female connectors) are for the AC to the CDI box, and the squiare connector is for the Ignition pickup for the CDI box

In the above unit the two wires marked yellow on the box, will be the yellow and green wires ( male connectors) the XR already has these wires floted from ground so no worries there, just hook them which ever way ya want, AC is non polarised, I am assuming that the blue wire will go to the negative on the battery, the red lead to the positive, then the black lead goes to the chassis, and any load gounds, like the return lines for the lights and such, the switch should go in the red lead , I am not sure if the regulator has provisions to block draining the battery when the bike is not running, if not you will need to switch the line between the battery and the regulator ( red lead) I would place a fuseable link in the line between the battery and the load. if you can get a 30 amp fuseable link it will cover a 225 watt set up.

I am doing my electrical on my bike this week, I will try to help you with info as I can.

Steve
See in the above message

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,320
Another thing you need to underdtand is that you have 2 circuits.

1. AC power straight off the stator into the finned AC regulator and
2. DC power which comes from the special DC regulator/rectifier you installed.

If this helps I hope:

In Australia XRs etc that come with full lighting (yes our XRs are road legal and come with all the blinkers and lights etc from Honda) but they dont have batteries. We have no legal requirement to run out lights for like 15 minutes after engine off like you North Americans typically do.
Therefore because we only use the engine for lighting Honda give us 2 circuits - and AC circuit for the head and taillight - this is the dirty type power called AC.

They also give us a DC circuit for the horn and indicators and warning lights etc as these items need clean direct current - hence DC power. Honda gives us DC power by giving us a DC regulator/rectifier with another cool little item called a condensor. The condensor takes the place of the battery and receives the extra juice when you dont have everything turned on.

If you NAs were ever to get rid of that lights on after engine off rule then the Aussie OEM Honda stuff is the way to go - much better quality than any aftermarket parts
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
Calxi
Thumper

Oddometer: 15
Sure would be nice to get rid of that "lights on, bike off" rule. I ran a BD DS kit in DC, with the 50/100 watt headlight in AC. BD had the kit as mentioned above with a built in relay. Very clean. I rewired a good portion of the bike with 14 guage wire. I was heading towards an all AC system but opted for both modes. One bonus to running DC is the option to hard wire a GPS unit (or other goodies) to the bike. Very handy on the multiple day trips.

PS. get ahold of the NA wiring diagram.

Calxi screwed with this post 09-13-2006 at 09:29 PM Reason: addition
Calxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
Stevevh OP
Kudu Driver

Thanks for the replies guys,

It is starting to make a bit more sense now. I did not realize that the rectifier was also a regulator as well. I have included below a few pictures of the Procycle wiring harness. The pics are in order from rear to front. Also I included a picture of their instructions. Can anyone make more sense of it that what I did?

In case you cant tell from the photo-3 Black, 1 Green, 1 Brown, 1 Yellow and 1 Blue

Do these go to the battery on top of the ones from the regulator/rectifier?

Once again, 3 black, one green one brown

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
Stevevh OP
Kudu Driver

Lets see if I have this right. AC power from the stator is connected through the yellow/green wires to the yellow/yellow wires on the rectifier.This in turn is wired to the battery via the red and blue wire with the black wire going to the chassy. (Where is the chassy/ground on the XR650 anyway or is it included in the rectifier as well)??? I really should have paid attention in school!!!

Now where does the wiring harness fit into the picture and where does it get its power from, assuming I want an all DC system? Also it looks like it comes with a fuse on the positive lead from the battery.

Thanks again for all the info guys, this is a great learning experience.

Much appreciated,

Steve
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey guys,

Steve

Steve

I have the XR600R which uses the identical AC regulator in your photo.

Now green from stator goes to one of the green females in this AC reg. (It is not a rectifier)

There should also be a white-yellow wire going into this regulator.

Coming from this regulator are 1 green wire - to earth. (main earth) and white/yellow wire which becomes Brown which goes to headlight and tail light and is your main power lead for AC type power which as stated is ok for headlights. I think it is brown from the regulator actually.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Lets see if I have this right. AC power from the stator is connected through the yellow/green wires to the yellow/yellow wires on the rectifier.This in turn is wired to the battery via the red and blue wire with the black wire going to the chassy. (Where is the chassy/ground on the XR650 anyway or is it included in the rectifier as well)??? I really should have paid attention in school!!!

Now where does the wiring harness fit into the picture and where does it get its power from, assuming I want an all DC system? Also it looks like it comes with a fuse on the positive lead from the battery.

Much appreciated,

Steve
I disagree with taking power from your AC regulator to the Battery.

AFAIK the battery needs DC power to charge.

Power from your AC regulator normally goes to head and taillight.

Power from your DC regulator-(regulate meaning reduce down to 12 volts) and rectify (ie convert to DC type power) goes to battery for charging duties.

All power from the bikes stator is AC power - all power and comes oout at like 100volts.

Your AC regulator only reduces this voltage to 12-13 and sinks it as heat. (hence finning)

Your DC regualtor/rectifier reduces the AC power and ALSO rectifies it to DC power.

I'm sure snaggle will chime in if I am off here - he is the dead set guru on bike electrics.

Cheers
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #14
kellyk7
Who knows

Quote:

Much appreciated,

Steve
So far so good.
here is what you have with the AC reg pulled out and the Dc REG/REC placed and wired in.

kellyk7 screwed with this post 09-14-2006 at 03:45 AM
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
kellyk7
Who knows

this should help too

I will work on a full wire diagram today