Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #76
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I've got one, and had the luck (?) to field test it first ride with it on and I can vouch it works (otherwise I'd be missing my right foot.).
I had to drill some holes in mine, my bike seems to run a bit hot and needs the air circulation around the cases off-road, but others have no such issue.
If your bike consistantly looses water through the overflow, I would be worried about the head bolts. Mine was blowing water out the overflow and I thought it was the head gasket up until I torqued the head back down after changing the gasket. 2 of the bolts pulled out before I got to the half way torque! A third was noticably on its way. The motor had more than 5000 and less than 10000 miles on it! Also, there had been no oil in the water and no water in the oil, but at idle with the radiator cap off, there were bubbles coming up through the radiator.
Support your local creep! CREEPS MC
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #77
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,308
That Flatlands skid looks good. I have a CF one that i got on Ebay a few years ago, it has worked pretty well.
Mine has seen a lot more street than dirt, but this is changing now that I have the Superduke to ride on the street.
I've heard some rocks bounce off the CF plate pretty hard and they just leave a scratch.
Mine only came with a little plastic thing that covered the spin on filter, so any skid plate was a vast improvement.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #78
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,038
What trashes mine is slamming down on rock ledges and hitting big boulders on the trail. The KTM plastic skid plate did fine fending off thrown rocks. But some rock stairs, a hard endo and smacking down on a boulder on a steep hill climb trashed it in just one ride.

The plastic one would probably serve a woods rider that didn't have to deal with rocks just fine. The Flatlands part is pretty serious overkill if you aren't using the bike to break rocks. It isn't quite like a strapping a refrigerator to the bike. But it is close.

So I will probably keep the plastic POS and use it for coastal SC riding. But the Flatlands will be on anytime I go to the mountains here.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #79
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Moose skid plate

Anyone try one of these out? I picked one up,but can find very little info on it, must be one of the last ones out there... When it shows up I will drill it to use the stock block mounts rather than those clamps...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #80
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
There are plastics that are extremely strong and durable and I'd take a bash plate of such contruction rather than have the weight, permanent deformation and Frickin' noise of the alu ones. Why don't the suppliers, OEM or aftermarket get this? How many units would it take to get a manufacturer to commit to production?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #81
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
There are plastics that are extremely strong and durable and I'd take a bash plate of such contruction rather than have the weight, permanent deformation and Frickin' noise of the alu ones. Why don't the suppliers, OEM or aftermarket get this? How many units would it take to get a manufacturer to commit to production?
There was a KTM plastic one... pretty cheap as I recall, but probably plenty adequate for most of us.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #82
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post

Anyone try one of these out? I picked one up,but can find very little info on it, must be one of the last ones out there... When it shows up I will drill it to use the stock block mounts rather than those clamps...

Curious to see what you think of this skid plate...
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #83
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
The LC4 plastic skid plate was too light........not good for rocky riding.

Gunner........that plate will be a pia if you leave those bloody mounts on that it comes with.......it should be easy enough to drill it and use the KTM mounts, so glad to see you are onto that already.

I like the Flatland plate.........or if you really want lots of protection, do what I did and installed a Rock Hard Rally Gear plate.......it even comes with two tool pouches.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #84
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Run the plastic skid plates. They slide better, are lighter, won't bend up, and don't deflect as much noise back.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #85
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Won't get to trying it out for a couple of weeks, hopefully the fit is good..

I see daddybigdaddy has the same skid plate for sale, his has a screen over the filter cutout... I was thinking of adding a chunk of Aluminum on the outside over the same spot as in my minds eye I can see a stick going through there taking out the spin on...

[/url]

gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #86
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,038
As I posted before, the KTM plastic skid plate is a useless waste of money for rocks. It is very thin, very flexible and good for little more than deflecting roost. I was so worried when I saw how flexible it was that I backed it with aluminum in front of that vulnerable oil filter and was glad I did. One weekend is how long mine lasted.

With aluminum a bit of foam between the skid plate and motor kills the noise very effectively. A dead blow hammer repairs any carnage. In the mean time your frame rails don't get flattened, the cases don't get gouged and parts don't get torn off. All of which happened running the flexible KTM plastic POS.

I have done two more of the rides that killed the plastic KTM part with the Flatlands. It is pretty gouged but all I had to do was beat one monster dent out of the bottom. It makes me cringe to think what the rock that puckered the Flatlands skidplate would have done to my engine with the plastic part.

There might be a decent plastic aftermarket skidplate somewhere, but the KTM one ain't it.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 06:55 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #87
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,962
My sponsor Pro-carbon makes one

http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/po...ti.php?IDZ=179

They also make quite a few other LC4 parts http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/zbozi.php?KID=45

and other moto makes as well as car parts ..
http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/index.php
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #88
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Would not the carbon fiber fracture and splinter on impact. Kevlar OK. But CF?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #89
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
My sponsor Pro-carbon makes one

http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/po...ti.php?IDZ=179

They also make quite a few other LC4 parts http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/zbozi.php?KID=45

and other moto makes as well as car parts ..
http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/index.php
Really nice stuff! Any chance you could help them with their English?! What will fit our Adventures?
Support your local creep! CREEPS MC
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #90
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Really nice stuff! Any chance you could help them with their English?! What will fit our Adventures?
I have one of those on my bike; here's my review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...93#post1303093

I didn't update the review; plate still on the bike; its got dings from rock hits but I've never hi-centered on a boulder or some such uber-hit.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote