Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #91
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 821
Anyone know if these skidplates will work on the 620adv with the low pipes... Mine has gone AWOL, and I'll need one.. However, from my memory and pics it seems as if the rhs has to have less of a...errr "wing" to accommodate the low pipes...

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #92
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I have one of those on my bike; here's my review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...93#post1303093

I didn't update the review; plate still on the bike; its got dings from rock hits but I've never hi-centered on a boulder or some such uber-hit.
I had some damn hard hits this last trip to Death Valley (well actually didn't leave Panamint Valley, but its all desert whoops with rocks, or just plain sand or rocks (maybe a dash of gravel if recently lain).

I'll update that thread soon with pics.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #93
JParanee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Flatland does a very nice job for a reasonable price

JParanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #94
abhi
XC on RE

Oddometer: 32
Here's a well used one that I shot recently, not mine but from a travellers meet.

KTM 640 LC4 by Abhijith B.Rao, on Flickr
Old 10-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #95
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 238
Carbon vs alu

I am in a need of a skid plate, and while looking around, I have narrowed my choices down to TT skid plate or Carbon fibre one. A TT one looks a bit thin to me, but still better than KTM one. Also while looking around e-bay I found a used, though in good shape, carbon fibre one. And now I am in a dilemma what to get. I have seen that Lyndon Poskit is using a carbon one on his Races to Places bike.

Decisions, decisions....
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #96
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,044
one thing to keep in mind about carbon,,,, its works great and is surprisingly strong right up till it breaks where alu will bend. so for racers carbon is a good thing and for us its a pretty good thing too, but alu will keep you protected if your on a long ride far from home or somewhere that can make a carbon repair.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #97
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
I am in a need of a skid plate, and while looking around, I have narrowed my choices down to TT skid plate or Carbon fibre one. A TT one looks a bit thin to me, but still better than KTM one. Also while looking around e-bay I found a used, though in good shape, carbon fibre one. And now I am in a dilemma what to get. I have seen that Lyndon Poskit is using a carbon one on his Races to Places bike.

Decisions, decisions....
If you are going to spend the money why not get a Flatland racing plate, those look to be the most heavy duty ones out there..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #98
MadM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
If you are going to spend the money why not get a Flatland racing plate, those look to be the most heavy duty ones out there..
I can's seem to find any of those (on the picture) plates, but the shipping and customs fee's might be a deal killer for me

And on the flatland racing page is this small picture
My Blog
Old 10-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #99
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,834
Flatland is the one I was looking at, for the price it seems like a nice part.
But the shipping overseas would probably add quite a few bucks.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #100
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,478
The KTM hard parts alloy plate on my 640-E has held up well, it has taken plenty of hard hits from rocks and logs...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #101
MadM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
The KTM hard parts alloy plate on my 640-E has held up well, it has taken plenty of hard hits from rocks and logs...
How thick is the KTM hard parts skid plate? Is it thicker than Touratech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Flatland is the one I was looking at, for the price it seems like a nice part.
But the shipping overseas would probably add quite a few bucks.
I have talked to Flatlands, shipping would be $56, and with import taxes the total cost would be around $180 To bad cuz it is a really nice thick and strong skid plate (at least from the pictures).
My Blog
Old 10-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #102
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,834
$56?

Ouch
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #103
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:

I have talked to Flatlands, shipping would be $56, and with import taxes the total cost would be around $180 To bad cuz it is a really nice thick and strong skid plate (at least from the pictures).
I think it is 3/16", mine's dented and gouged, no cracks though.
KTM gets $125 I think, I bought mine used for $50...
I prefer the plastic material over aluminum, my 525 has the resin cast plate, it glides over rocks.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #104
NevBlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Mass times velocity squared = Energy

Quote:
I've used the original plastic skid plate and it only lasted 1 month without any serious mileage. With a 300 pound LC4 saving your engine should be paramount over weight and saving, say 50 dollars. I switched to a Tourtech aluminum plate that is 4 mm (3/16 inch) thick. Wow. It has taken the punishment rather than send damage to the cases. Desert and Baja with rocks and speed can do harm and are NOT a one time occurrence.
Contemplate E=M C squared.
I know that the gash in the skid plate was from negative G-forces (dry wash) at speed (50+ mph) with full tank, tools, and riding gear, then up pops that Titanic rock! Like others said, aluminum stays in-place for the next hit and allows multi-day rides to continue. My 2 cents.

I had not seen the Flatlands unit before but it looks good. Anyone seen a model that has a tool area up front (Rally type)? I have seen one for a larger KTM but not the 640 model.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #105
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevBlu View Post
I've used the original plastic skid plate and it only lasted 1 month without any serious mileage. With a 300 pound LC4 saving your engine should be paramount over weight and saving, say 50 dollars. I switched to a Tourtech aluminum plate that is 4 mm (3/16 inch) thick. Wow. It has taken the punishment rather than send damage to the cases. Desert and Baja with rocks and speed can do harm and are NOT a one time occurrence.
Contemplate E=M C squared.
I know that the gash in the skid plate was from negative G-forces (dry wash) at speed (50+ mph) with full tank, tools, and riding gear, then up pops that Titanic rock! Like others said, aluminum stays in-place for the next hit and allows multi-day rides to continue. My 2 cents.

I had not seen the Flatlands unit before but it looks good. Anyone seen a model that has a tool area up front (Rally type)? I have seen one for a larger KTM but not the 640 model.

You mean like this one........

It's a Rock Hard Rally Gear plate out of Australia....two tool pouches and even works as a centre stand like in the photo. It's expensive, but I sure am glad I bought it......keeps my feet dryer also!

Carbon and plastic plates work fine if you don't have any rocks to deal with. Aluminum is the only way to go if you encounter any rocks. The Flatland plate is one of the best ( I have one of their plates on my 520).
The other thing to look for when buying a skid plate is ease of installation......if they use those stupid "J" hooks.....stay away..........they are a PITA to install.
I also find that a hole in the skid plate for draining the engine oil is not necessary as I like to take off the skid plates before a service anyhow. No matter how careful you are at draining the engine oil, if you leave the skid plate on, you have a good chance of lots of that oil staying on top of the plate!

Cheers

Cheers

Droptarotter screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 10:11 AM
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote