User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Laugh Orange Crush Takes Another Chunk of Texas

I did it. The credit card was on the counter before I realized it. I've never felt better about a purchase. Well ... a deposit anyway.

On the advice of cagiva 549, Texmoto1, Ant Ware, Achange, craft 02Silver, and Mike A I made the three hour drive up to Lancaster just below Dallas to Cycle Town South to see Curtis, owner, mechanic and 950 rider.

Great shop! Oodles of KTMs. Several 950 bikes of every configuration. Lots and lots of KTM parts, gear and FARKLES. Everybody was very nice and informative. Curtis especially. There was not one question of mine on which he hesitated or equivocated. This is quite rare as many of you probably know. Most bike salesmen don't know 'everything' about the bikes they sell. Curtis does.

I told Curtis all my particulars and why I had the KTM Adventure (non S) at the top of my list, what I planned to do with it and why the LC8 and a chain driven bike appealed to me more than other more complicated and heavier bikes. He told me right off I was looking at the right bike. Of course. But I felt he was sincere and I knew how hard I had researched this whole thing. He made several points to me about the bike I had already assesed but did not mention to him. He was in my head and honestly advising me. I liked the guy right off. He was selling his brand but he was not going to sell me something I didn't need or that was not right for me. At least I felt this to be the case.

I told him I had a big list of farkles and gear I would also buy from him if we could cut a deal. We went over my list and he added a couple small things I had missed but which obviously were right. All the parts we looked at had prices on them. Fair numbers I might add. I said I knew the price on the bike and I wasn't going to grind him on it but wanted a good deal on the farkles and gear.

He didn't miss a beat. Said he'd take a grand of the bike and 15% off the farkles and gear. I said, " How much of a deposit do you want and where do I sign."

By the time I got home there was a fax waiting for me with every item on my list priced out and all costs itemized on the bike. When I say I had a list believe me. All the goodies. And more. It's gotta be a day's work to put all this stuff on the bike. Curtis itemized 3 hours labor for everyting.

I don't think I've ever made a better deal nor had one go down so painlessly and smooth. Really just unbelievable.

I am one happy camper!!!

oh yeah, I got an ORANGE one.

PS: Price includes panniers and racks.

scottr screwed with this post 07-25-2006 at 06:39 PM
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
02Silver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242

Do you want to ride with Cagiva and I to Colorado and onto Elko over the next 6 days by way of CO and UT this Friday? :) We'll pick you up along the way.

Congrats on the buy.

Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
I did it. The credit card was on the counter before I realized it. I've never felt better about a purchase. Well ... a deposit anyway.

On the advice of cagiva 549, Texmoto1, Ant Ware, Achange, craft 02Silver, and Mike A I made the three hour drive up to Lancaster just below Dallas to Cycle Town South to see Curtis, owner, mechanic and 950 rider.

Great shop! Oodles of KTMs. Several 950 bikes of every configuration. Lots and lots of KTM parts, gear and FARKLES. Everybody was very nice and informative. Curtis especially. There was not one question of mine on which he hesitated or equivocated. This is quite rare as many of you probably know. Most bike salesmen don't know 'everything' about the bikes they sell. Curtis does.

I told Curtis all my particulars and why I had the KTM Adventure (non S) at the top of my list, what I planned to do with it and why the LC8 and a chain driven bike appealed to me more than other more complicated and heavier bikes. He told me right off I was looking at the right bike. Of course. But I felt he was sincere and I knew how hard I had researched this whole thing. He made several points to me about the bike I had already assesed but did not mention to him. He was in my head and honestly advising me. I liked the guy right off. He was selling his brand but he was not going to sell me something I didn't need or that was not right for me. At least I felt this to be the case.

I told him I had a big list of farkles and gear I would also buy from him if we could cut a deal. We went over my list and he added a couple small things I had missed but which obviously were right. All the parts we looked at had prices on them. Fair numbers I might add. I said I knew the price on the bike and I wasn't going to grind him on it but wanted a good deal on the farkles and gear.

He didn't miss a beat. Said he'd take a grand of the bike and 15% off the farkles and gear. I said, " How much of a deposit do you want and where do I sign."

By the time I got home there was a fax waiting for me with every item on my list priced out and all costs itemized on the bike. When I say I had a list believe me. All the goodies. And more. It's gotta be a day's work to put all this stuff on the bike. Curtis itemized 3 hours labor for everyting.

I don't think I've ever made a better deal nor had one go down so painlessly and smooth. Really just unbelievable.

I am one happy camper!!!

oh yeah, I got an ORANGE one.

PS: Price includes panniers and racks.
02Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
scottr OP
Banned

Wow, nice of you to offer. Bike won't be ready yet however and I'm not really ready for that big a ride yet. I gotta learn this bike and get all the old rythms reset. I've been cagin too long.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
Mr D Hertz
Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
hey....remember all that good stuff I told you about the 950 in your last thread?

I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!! IT'S A CRAPPY BIKE!!!!
Mr D Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
Good on yer mate

Good for you.
Have fun with the orange beasty.
Curtis sounds a good lad.
H
Old 07-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Having Curtis as our local dealer / wrench really places the icing on the cake for us Texans in the vicinity. He is top notch and we appreciate it. He also has the sickness as we all do rather than just being an owner of the dealership. That makes a big difference.

Go Curtis, Congrats Scottr !
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
Brucasso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
He does have the sickness, Just ask him to show you his light rig in his saddle bag...
Brucasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Way to go, Scotter!

From what you've posted, you're gonna love it.

Seeya in the Hills.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
mastiffdog2
A Bike Addict

Oddometer: 394
Uh, is there anyway we could get Curtis to clone himself and send the other Curtis to Southern California?
mastiffdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:47 AM   #10
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D Hertz
hey....remember all that good stuff I told you about the 950 in your last thread?

I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!! IT'S A CRAPPY BIKE!!!!

No shit, and that Curtis fella, he could sell sand to the Arabs.

Congrats Scott, it won't be long before this thing will remind you why you got into riding in the first place
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
scottr OP
Banned

Wink All Y'all ....

... Texans with the 'disease':

I should have my bike and be reasonably attuned to it by the time it cools off this fall. End of September like. We should have a meet and greet and go for a little ride. Or vice versa actually. My place is on the Pedernales River just E. of Johnson City. I'll buy the beer.

If there's no water in the river I think my pool will still have some.

We could ride some good twisties out through Sandy to some nice dirt up into Llano County around Sandy Creek. Three water crossings and some nice scenery. Gotta dodge cows though. Do the Willow City Loop back down, Lunch at Stonewall. Some Flatt Creek Rd. twisties then some Miller Creek Loop Twisties, a short hop to Blanco then Middle Creek Rd and Yeager Creek Rd. (two more water crossings) back to my place.

Let me know what you think.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #12
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
About time we had a regional meet.

Count me in, barring the unforeseen, of course...

Swell idea, good roads... and very generous offer.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
Achange
New and Improved

Oddometer: 123
Congrats on the bike as well Scott. Curtis has a way of making me feel like I'm part of a special club, so welcome to the Curtis Club!

I keep my 950 down at Lake Whitney so a trip down to your neck of the woods would be welcome.

Count me in when you decide to show some of us around.

Life Doesn't Suck
Achange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
Fall Texas Gatherin': Houston Riders

[quote=scottr]... Texans with the 'disease':

We could ride some good twisties out through Sandy to some nice dirt up into Llano County around Sandy Creek. Three water crossings and some nice scenery. Gotta dodge cows though. Do the Willow City Loop back down, Lunch at Stonewall. Some Flatt Creek Rd. twisties then some Miller Creek Loop Twisties, a short hop to Blanco then Middle Creek Rd and Yeager Creek Rd. (two more water crossings) back to my place.

This sounds like a great idea.
Perfect lead up to Terlingua later.
My vote: 1st weekend in October
H
Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
scottr OP
Banned

OK!

Hamish has set the date. First weekend in October. Saturday.

I'm serious about this guys. Let's DO it! When we get close I'll PM everybody with directions to my ranch.

Hells bells. If anybody wants to camp out overnight at my place we can go out again on Sunday. Or there's a decent motel 3 miles down the road.