User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
New KTM Street Legal Dirt Bike?

Seriously considering selling my KLR and buying an 07 KTM 525 EXC? California street legal. I may have the cc's wrong. Anybody here know anything about this bike? Is it a true dirt bike or a dual-sport?

Thanks
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
450 & 525

I beleive the bikes will come out in 450 & 525. I don't know any details. I beleive the dealers meeting is this week so we should have more info when the dealers get home....
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
I would say it is a 525cc dirt bike that you can easily take on the road. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the entire EXC line of bikes by KTM are all made on the same chasis/frame, and that being off road/trail.

Actually, from what I find amazing is the 525 weighs the same as the 400 EXC!!, but a significant increase in power

The 525 and the KLR are totally different bikes! to specifically answer your question - is it a true dirt bike or Dual Sport... tough question as for 07, KTM is making all EXC bikes street legal, so by definition in that regards it is a dual sport bike - in reality I would say it is a large dirt bike that will easily manage the road as necessary, especially if you get some slicks and make it a supermotard!! 2 bikes for the price of 1

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)

osteo screwed with this post 08-29-2006 at 09:06 PM Reason: spelling mistake
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,511
Different.

I've owned 2 KLR650's and one 525 EXC. The 525, even if it comes as "street legal" in 07 is not a bike I'd want to ride on the pavement very far. It's just a dirt bike with the legal bits added. It's not a DS, IMHO.

And, the KTM is going to need a whole lot more maintenance than the KLR is.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Discussed here also.

IMHO...

KLR= Street thumper with decent off-road ability

EXC's= Off-road racing four strokes with limited street ability (even though they are 'street-legal')

That said, I REALLY would like to have a street-legal EXC. It would be perfect for off-road riding areas that include short sections of public roads connecting the trails. But I wouldn't like the maintenance or comfort issues associated with a EXC if I was planning on burning a ton of highway miles.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
KTM is importing the 450EXC and 525EXC in street legal form in 2007. Both of these bikes are barely street legal dirt bikes (EXC stands for Enduro Cross Country). These bikes have some limiting factors for serious dual sport applications, including:
  1. Oil capacity is right at 1.2 liters. The RFS (Racing Four Stroke) motors were designed to be light weight, competition oriented motors. While some folks use these bikes for dual sport applications, they are probably not suitable for high mileage applications with lengthy periods between service intervals. A complete oil change involves three drain plugs, two containing small screens that should be cleaned. There are two oil filters also.
  2. While we are on service intervals, KTM recommends checking valve tolerances every 15 hours. The first check should be performed at three hours.
  3. Fuel capacity - These bikes were built primarily for enduro use with fuel stops (or gas available) every 35-45 miles or so. The fuel capacity issue can be addressed with an aftermarket tank by IMS or Clarke (or a KTM aftermarket tank).
  4. Cush hub - The EXC line does not have a rubber damped "cush hub." The cush hub eases stress on the drive train when riding on pavement. For some, this is not a huge issue.
I have owned several EXCs and they are great bikes. They are primarily dirt bikes masquerading in dual sport trim, however. They are pretty much "Ready to Race" (KTM's new tag line) right out of the box.

For more dirt oriented dual sport, I'm waiting for that 2008 (??) 690 Super Enduro....

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Drifter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
Thanks a lot -- very valuable information. I'm not sure I want to take on all the extra the maintainence -- but I'll wait till they come out a ride one etc.

Thanks agaiin
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
525, short rides only?

" The RFS (Racing Four Stroke) motors were designed to be light weight, competition oriented motors. While some folks use these bikes for dual sport applications, they are probably not suitable for high mileage applications with lengthy periods between service intervals."

Really? Jeez, maybe you should alert the Team Rally Pan America boyz before they head off to Dakar again this year???

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
" The RFS (Racing Four Stroke) motors were designed to be light weight, competition oriented motors. While some folks use these bikes for dual sport applications, they are probably not suitable for high mileage applications with lengthy periods between service intervals."

Really? Jeez, maybe you should alert the Team Rally Pan America boyz before they head off to Dakar again this year???
up

Pointman
I'm pretty sure their support team has things handled. Now if I could only afford my own team I'd get a KTM for dual-sporting too.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
That the motor will last for some long days with proper mechanical care each evening is not the same thing as being maintenance free and designed for long dualsport miles.

Having just finished a 600 mile one day race on my 525 last week (in which it performed flawlessly), I'll come right out and say I'm not in a hurry to take the bike to Baja, for 2k miles of thrashing on one oil change, like I did with various XR's.

RFS's are fantastic motors, and more durable than their weight vs. power output would imply. That doesn't make them "ride hard, put away wet" neglectable like a KLR.

IMHO, there's basically zero overlap between the two bikes. If you're considering a KLR, you don't want an EXC, and vice versa.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #11
BigDave
Adventure Drummer

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile

And, the KTM is going to need a whole lot more maintenance than the KLR is.

T.
Would you say the same comparing the KLR with the 640 Adv? I dont like to work on bikes but I like the 640. Been there done that on the KLR and I really dont want one but I imagine i will end up with a small bike of some sort one of these days.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:32 AM   #12
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave
Would you say the same comparing the KLR with the 640 Adv? I dont like to work on bikes but I like the 640. Been there done that on the KLR and I really dont want one but I imagine i will end up with a small bike of some sort one of these days.
The 640 is an LC4 motor, not a RFS (Racing Four Stroke). More oil capacity & designed to be more robust/maintenance free the a RFS.

That said, I believe the LC4's still have two expensive oil filter & a gaggle of drain plugs? I'd say if your the type that maintains your bikes, the 640 Adventure would be fine. But if your lazy on maintenance or like to ride a ton of miles I think a KLR or XL/XR Honda would be a better choice. There is also the BMW F650GS. Very robust engine, but a bit high priced to acquire.

My .02 cents/
Old 08-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
I would have to agree with woodsrider on his statments.
I have done the six-days of Michigan on a 450 EXC with every other day oil changes, it come out black.

There are oil coolers that can be added which add about .90 cc of oil and lower the oil temp (not sure on how much).

Until KTM increases the oil capacity of the EXC, I would not suggest using it for long hauls (1,900 miles without an oil change -- The XR650R does fine).

The reasons below is why I went to the XR and a 640 Adv.

Please don't get me wrong, I loved my EXC and I miss it's power delivery (a lot). Yet, I am putting an average of about 300 miles/day and with that, at the least it would need an oil change everyday and a valve adjustment every 2 or 3rd day.

From experiance, the RFS engine has a single oil ring and single compression ring, the KLR and 640 both have dual rings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
KTM is importing the 450EXC and 525EXC in street legal form in 2007. Both of these bikes are barely street legal dirt bikes (EXC stands for Enduro Cross Country). These bikes have some limiting factors for serious dual sport applications, including:
  1. Oil capacity is right at 1.2 liters. The RFS (Racing Four Stroke) motors were designed to be light weight, competition oriented motors. While some folks use these bikes for dual sport applications, they are probably not suitable for high mileage applications with lengthy periods between service intervals. A complete oil change involves three drain plugs, two containing small screens that should be cleaned. There are two oil filters also.
  2. While we are on service intervals, KTM recommends checking valve tolerances every 15 hours. The first check should be performed at three hours.
  3. Fuel capacity - These bikes were built primarily for enduro use with fuel stops (or gas available) every 35-45 miles or so. The fuel capacity issue can be addressed with an aftermarket tank by IMS or Clarke (or a KTM aftermarket tank).
  4. Cush hub - The EXC line does not have a rubber damped "cush hub." The cush hub eases stress on the drive train when riding on pavement. For some, this is not a huge issue.
I have owned several EXCs and they are great bikes. They are primarily dirt bikes masquerading in dual sport trim, however. They are pretty much "Ready to Race" (KTM's new tag line) right out of the box.

For more dirt oriented dual sport, I'm waiting for that 2008 (??) 690 Super Enduro....
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #14
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,040
[quote=neduro]
Having just finished a 600 mile one day race on my 525 last week (in which it performed flawlessly), I'll come right out and say I'm not in a hurry to take the bike to Baja, for 2k miles of thrashing on one oil change, like I did with various XR's.
quote]

They're making the Baja race 2K miles this year???

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
But!!!

If you want a dirt bike that is legal while connecting sections of a loop this is your "toy".

My 950 Adv is my dual sport. Let's maintain focus here.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote