User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
What Sprocket Ratios do you run

Last night I took a 30 mile romp on my XR650R after having swapped in a set of 13/50 sprockets. the stock ratio was 14/47 I had been running either the 13/47 or 15/47 it really was amazing how much difference that little change made. On the open road or dirt roads I kept wanting another gear, but when I ran a chunk of powerline gap, I found going between 3rd and 4th gave me all the grunt and climb I needed for anything, and dropping off 5th to 4th exiting corners was scarry. My feelings the 15/47 or even maybe 15/45 is great for highway and general street use this motor grunts that ratio real easy, but for trail I really like what I felt with the 13/50.

this made me start thinking, What ratios do you guys run for what conditions. also the rear tire size will make a diference, I run an 120/100/18

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Hey,
Stock is 14/48. I've ran 13/48 for tights and currently use 15/48 for off road with a bit of dual sport usage. For mostly street, 15/46 or 45 would be much better as you already know.

I'm in NW Florida, Pensacola, down by Mobile. My 650R is legal and I have a few riding buddies with 650L's, DR650's etc... What kind of riding do you have up there for dual sports?
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
I like 15/47 for everyday street riding & twisties, 15/41 was best for highway
but not so great in the twisties or dirt. Wont use that again, unless I go to Alaska.
Ill swap in a 14 or 13 up front for specific dirt rides or weekends.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleXR650
Hey,
Stock is 14/48. I've ran 13/48 for tights and currently use 15/48 for off road with a bit of dual sport usage. For mostly street, 15/46 or 45 would be much better as you already know.

I'm in NW Florida, Pensacola, down by Mobile. My 650R is legal and I have a few riding buddies with 650L's, DR650's etc... What kind of riding do you have up there for dual sports?
Opps Looked it up an you are correct 14/48 not 14/47

Here you can ride pretty much everything, I am in the northwest corner of the state of alabama, we have low mountains, that even NC Boys would laugh at so if that is your thing we may not be that great. but you can ride for hours in the back woods dirt roads and counrty lanes. a lot of it is farm roads. I was lumbering back in my van and had trailer behind along the road I had just ripped down, when I came on a lady pushing a toddler down the center of the two lane on a small bicycle with training wheels. I woundered what she would have done 20 mins earlier as I was running 60 or better when I went by that house on the bike.

if your interested look up Bankhead national forest, Sippsey Wilderness area, there is a lot of fire roads and such. mix of chirt and asphalt. (south of Moulton, Al)

where I was yesterday was outside of Cherokee Al. if you go to mapquest and look up a map for cherokee then zoom in. I ran south out white Pike, and parked at a fireing range in the Freedom Hills Wildlife Preserve. then ran out white pike and then back a ways picked up a dirt road and cut across to Mt Hester ran that back north to white pike and back south to the gun range, then back around to play a while on the powerline gap.

Also when you look up the map of cherokee, as you zoom in when you get to where you can see Bear Creak, the road that runs on the east side of bear creak is Riverton Rose Trail, that is a killer bike road, you can do a loop start in Cherokee ( park trailer at the Piggly Wiggly) run a few miles west on Hwy 72 then north on Riverton Rose, loop around and back onto either the trace ( if your tired or back roads) or back onto North Pike and back into cherokee. (warning there are lots of tight blind corners) But definatly well worth the ride. BTW if you park at the pig, just tell manager and park on the outside of the lot, near the Cherokee fire department's fireworks stand ( no Lie )

here are a few More
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...ride2.htm%23al

http://www.natra.dirtrider.net/ Check Local Ride spots

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote