User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Ma Junior OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Bad shift spring?

Few weeks ago on a ride home I noticed my shift lever would not return to its normal position after a downshift. It would stay down. I had to gently pull it back up with my foot. Made it home, garaged it, and started researching. Settled on it being a broken spring spring and began calling around for repair quotes. Didn't touch the bike for 2 days. When I wheeled it out of the garage to poke around with it I was surprised to find the shift lever operating normally. I hadn't adjusted anything. So I chalked it up as a fluke and continued riding. In the past few weeks it has repeated the same problem twice. So I'm a bit confused here. I had initially thought the shift spring was broken, but if it was then the problem should be consistent and not change from day to day. Any ideas? Really trying to avoid having to open up the transmission if I don't absolutely have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ma Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
SohoPhil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
My 81 R100RT does that to at times.
Usually seems to do it if I rush a few downshifts in at once....
1978 911SC
SohoPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Ma Junior OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohoPhil View Post
My 81 R100RT does that to at times.
Usually seems to do it if I rush a few downshifts in at once....

Mine is consistent for a period of time on every shift, fast or slow. For example an entire 30 minute commute home from work. Then mysteriously it will shift fine the next day, with no changes made to the bike or my shifting pattern.

Trying to figure this out before an upcoming road trip in November. Not trying to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a busted spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 855
Just a guess,.....

The shift shaft bushing may be a tad tight, causing the shaft to bind up when the transmission gets hot. You might try pulling the shift shaft out and give it a rub down with some fine emery to see if that corrects the situation. The shift shaft is below the oil level, so either drain the transmission oil before pulling the shaft or lean the bike to the right so you don't lose much oil.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
ReconnaissanceMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Check the shifter attach bolt. My /6 did this one day and I couldn't shift up or down. Rode home in third gear and parked it.

I got all in a dither thinking I was going to rebuild the trans, and a couple days later decided I was going to check the spring and stuck the hex key in the bolt and found it to be very loose. Tightened it up and voila! She shifts normally again.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,966
^^^ + 1 ^^^

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Mugwest

Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconnaissanceMan View Post
Check the shifter attach bolt. My /6 did this one day and I couldn't shift up or down. Rode home in third gear and parked it.

I got all in a dither thinking I was going to rebuild the trans, and a couple days later decided I was going to check the spring and stuck the hex key in the bolt and found it to be very loose. Tightened it up and voila! She shifts normally again.
+ 2000
Happened early in my life with G/S-- i'd read for years about the dreaded 'pawl spring' breaking and when the shifter stuck one day i was sure it was time to open the trans. Bought special tools from Ed Korn, stripped the bike completely down, all springs inside the box were fine. walked over to the bike frame and grabbed the shifter: stuck, from a binding washer somebody had put on the shifter bolt.

But i got tranny experience and a set of special tools out of the deal
Old 10-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Ma Junior OP
Adventurer

Figured it out! The shift lever was too low and dragging against the frame when I shifted. 5 minute adjustment and problem solved. Thanks for all the suggestions.