Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #166
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKay191
I'm sure I'm missing something........
but what exactly makes this bike a Caferacer?

In today's motorcycling world the term Caferacer
has become a catchall for any naked bike that has been transformed to look like a bike from the late 50's- early 80's sporty bike.

That is in some variation
• Low handlebars or clip-on
• rear set foot controls
• "bum" stop seat or seat hump
these are the three basics that make a "Caferacer" just that.

Add to that a dizzing array of doohickeys and tidbits that people toss on these bikes to make them look "cool" including
at least some form of checkerboard graphics and a sticker that proudly proclaims "CAFERACER" or a round decal with the numbers 59 in the center.
Sometimes both...

This includes stock bikes like the Triumph thruxton and the Ducati Sport Classics.

Me personally, I really, like BMW cafe bikes.
Even when they are "soft" as the wudo bike.
I rather prefer the more crazy bikes but as long as someone rides it and is happy that's the thing.

There's just something about taking a "gentleman's" bike
and turning it on it's nose.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #167
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
but what exectly makes this bike a Caferacer?
The Wudo bike is simply a prop, intended to display some new parts that are currently being reproduced and AFAIC, those are some pretty kool parts. I LOVE the fairing! So by my reckoning, it isnt a cafe racer per se. What it is, is a cafe STYLE bike. A Cafe Racer is something else

Cafe racers were built for high speed runs from cafe to cafe. Sometimes bets were placed but probably more often, the runs were for bragging rights and an opportunity to take some cute chick home.

Back in the day, just as today, not all of the guys who were part of the scene had the skills, the cash or the creativity build a true Cafe Racer, so they made due with a short seat, hacksawed fenders, maybe a fairing, loud pipes and rear sets if they had the dosh.

Come to think of it, the situation is similiar to that of the kids who can't afford to hot rod thier Honda Civic, so they put on a loud muffler, add a few guages on the window post, throw away the hood and call it a Tuner Car.

Most Cafe bikes could easily be refered to as "Poser bikes" but that would just piss people off and really.. It's only a hobby.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 10-13-2008 at 01:36 AM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #168
AlKay191
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
Cafe racers were built for high speed runs from cafe to cafe. Sometimes bets were placed but probably more often, the runs were for bragging rights and an opportunity to take some cute chick home.

Back in the day, just as today, not all of the guys who were part of the scene had the skills, the cash or the creativity build a true Cafe Racer, so they made due with a short seat, hacksawed fenders, maybe a fairing, loud pipes and rear sets if they had the dosh.

Right on!

IMO a Caferacer is either built or stripped for performance. Anything that doesn't make horsepower doesn't belong. The only parts added are those that improve handling or braking. Comfort is sacrificed in order to streamline or reduce weight. Pure hot rod.

There is nothing wrong with "gentleman's" performance custom, but it is not a Caferacer. I also like factory customs like the R90S, XLCR, XR1000 and the new retro Ducs and Triumphs, but they are not Caferacers either.
I wish people would just call spade a spade.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #169
AlKay191
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I have a small confession to make.
I have checkerd tape on my tank......

but it was added as a joke for a good friend. After a long night of drinking we agreed that
1) no cafe bike is complete withought checker tape or 59 sticker.
2) no hot rod is complete without red wheels and gangster white walls
3) red duct tape is faster than black
....and you're not a MAN till you eat the worm....
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #170
davef
The Chief

Oddometer: 320
Holy Suspension travel!!!

Quote:
<http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...4/BMWright.jpg>

I dissagree....

THere should be about 12" of fork travel on an Airhead front end and those gaiters are clearly compressed further than the 1/2" or so that the Telefix takes up. (Yes, I went out to the garage and looked!)

In fact, the gaiters appear to be incorrectly installed on the telefix as well. The clamping portion of the Telefic should be mounted so that it clamps onto the same machined area where the gaiters once went. Then the gaiters get clamped to the machined lip at the top of the Telefix. How come I'm seeing the fork tube? Oh yeah... It's because the gaiters arent clamped down!

The bikes been lowered, thereby eliminating most of the ground clearance, fork travel and safety margins.

If looks can kill, heres your example.
While I think that 12" suspension travel would make for a sweet ride, airheads are lucky to get 9 inches. In fact the stock forks for that bike make just a hair over 8. Heck, even the new HP2 offroaders only get a little more than 6 inches of travel. So I guess we'll just disagree on the fact that the bike in the picture is lowered. I still say it's just an optical illusion exacerbated by the aftermarket brace. Still a cool bike, though.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #171
streetfighter2
foofighter

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_Tone77
1975 BMW R90/6 Cafe-Mod BOXER

Posted before...but just had to put her up in this thread... Last Pic is from the day she was finished and I got her home...

The Bike was done by Dr. DAVE and Gary at RPM cycles in Ventura, Ca.
So, you had to set a new standard...I currently own two bikes: 2005 S2R Ducati Monster, and a 1983 BMW R80ST...all Cafer Racer wanta be...It's going to be a loooong time before I can get my beemer looking like yours...You have class brother!!

I don't know where to start... here's what my bike look like now (please see the attached picture). Where should I start??

Cheers,
Attached Images

streetfighter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:35 AM   #172
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Heres a photo that I took yesterday evening, about three miles from home. Another beautifull Fall California evening, out on the bike.

My repro seat finally came! I chose the "73" /5 LWB style that dosn't have the passenger hump. I like to move around.

I also skipped installing the chrome passenger rail and dumped the passenger pegs. No use for em anyway... If I decide to add the pegs later, I'll use racing style folders.

Next I have to touch up the scratches that have accumilated over the last month. These bikes dont stay absolutely perfect for long and I need to keep after the little things before they turn into big things.

Mechanically the bikes coming along very well. I had an electrical failure in a primary wire, that led to a cell call and Donna rescuing me from about 25 miles from home. That sucked. I also had a couple of minor oil seeps/leaks from the timing chest but all-in-all the break-in has been uneventfull.

I've worked the revs into the 5200+ range, the mileage is in the 40's and it's stopped using oil, so I'm feeling better about hittin on it harder and harder. I still need to lean the carbs out some and fiddle with the advance curves but the engine is strong and responsive. I guess it's time to pull out the stoppers and see what she'll do!

ANyway, after taking this picture, I took the bike home for her first bath!

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 10-18-2008 at 03:00 AM
Old 10-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #173
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Two Tone, your bike looks stunning. I have three /6's (two in boxes......sheesh) and intend to finish them with your degree of attention to detail.

I have a nice long winter ahead

Cheers, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #174
Warwood
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Too true

Quote:
but what exectly makes this bike a Caferacer?
Good question, and all too true, the term is used all to often. I would love an all out cut down caferacer, but I wouldn't want to ride to Seattle. Honestly it would be nice to have a special bike for every occasion, but I can't afford four or five bikes. So this winter I am rebuilding my bike to be more or less a R90S which is more of a Cafe Special than a real Caferacer. So it may just come down to a matter of attitude.
Warwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #175
Warwood
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
Sorry about the quality of this one, seen on the Wudo stand, they've just started re-manufacture of the fairing, seat and rear sets.

I check the WÜDO site and the price for this fairing is 749.00 Euros.
If you want the link PM me.

Well I guess it's not bad considering what you get, but still it's about 2 or 3 times the cost of a R90S fairing, and you still have to paint it.
Warwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #176
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
The Wudo bike is simply a prop, intended to display some new parts that are currently being reproduced and AFAIC, those are some pretty kool parts. I LOVE the fairing! So by my reckoning, it isnt a cafe racer per se. What it is, is a cafe STYLE bike. A Cafe Racer is something else

Come to think of it, the situation is similiar to that of the kids who can't afford to hot rod thier Honda Civic, so they put on a loud muffler, add a few guages on the window post, throw away the hood and call it a Tuner Car.

Most Cafe bikes could easily be refered to as "Poser bikes" but that would just piss people off and really.. It's only a hobby.
mymindsock has a pretty good handle on it. There is no real definition of a cafe racer. So opinions on what is and what isn't are abit silly. Although I'd think it did need more than just low handlebars but maybe not. That's just my meaningless silly opinion. In 60's England where the term started they could either be stripped down for speed street bikes or bikes made up to mimic the racers and cruise or race from cafe to coffee bars and back. There are two fun books on the subject. "Cafe Racers of the 1960s" by Mick Walker and "Cafe Racers" by Mike Clay. I've read them both and still wouldn't/couldn't define them.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #177
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
mymindsock has a pretty good handle on it. There is no real definition of a cafe racer. So opinions on what is and what isn't are abit silly. Although I'd think it did need more than just low handlebars but maybe not. That's just my meaningless silly opinion. In 60's England where the term started they could either be stripped down for speed street bikes or bikes made up to mimic the racers and cruise or race from cafe to coffee bars and back.
I really don't think that what youre saying and what I said are the same thing and I probably wouldnt agree with you.

I said: "Cafe racers were built for high speed runs from cafe to cafe." What I meant was: " If you don't build or modify your bike to make it capable of high speed (100+ mph) runs on demand, it isnt a cafe racer.

I also said: "Back in the day, just as today, not all of the guys who were part of the scene had the skills, the cash or the creativity build a true Cafe Racer, so they made due with a short seat, hacksawed fenders, maybe a fairing, loud pipes and rear sets if they had the dosh."

Yes, at some time or another everyone wants to look like thier heros and fit into the "In crowd". If that means trying to transform some worn out hack, into something that mimics a Racer, then so-be-it. It gets you accepted. You can hang out. It provides you with an identity and something of a family. It's kinda like the street gangs today, without the drugs and guns. (But youre still riding a poser bike.)

Finally I said: "Most Cafe bikes could easily be refered to as "Poser bikes" but that would just piss people off and really.. It's only a hobby."

The difference between someones recent "Barn find BMW" thats had a bob job and a real Cafe racer is similar to the difference between that same bike and a real racer. A true CR is a purpose built bike, that has taken it's form because of function, not just style and that can crank out some speed and handling when necessary.

Probably the closest thing to a CR being built today, would be some of the European high performance Streetfighters. Those bikes embody the creativity and attitude of the cafe racers and they can back it up with performance that the period tuner bike riders could only dream about.

I guess that the important thing to remember is that "It's only a hobby". The Ace Cafe in London is 70 years old!! Do what you want, call it whatever makes sense to you and ride your bike. That is, unless you happen to be one of those "Lifestyle" sops, who dresses up like a 1950's Rock-a-billy Brit for every bike show and cultivates his duck tail in between. Thats shits pathetic... Loll!!

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 10-20-2008 at 10:04 PM
Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #178
relayda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
...origins, origins. In February of 86, I bought a brand new 86 GSXR1100. First thing I did when I got home was replace the exhaust canister with an aftermarket slip-on, cut the rear fender and replace the turn signal. In June of 86 my brother and I took a trip across the US. On the leg out, I dropped my bike somewhere in Colorado. I ended up removing the bottom fairings and tossing them. My brother said it looked better like a café racer, I replied that I did not like it and thought it looked naked.

…so before “naked bikes” or “streetfighters” there were just guys like me who striped there bikes after dropping them.

It’s my guess that before the “café racer” there were striped bikes that looked just the same sans the quarter fairing and rear seat cover…probably making the same café-to-café runs….

…now I like naked bikes.
Attached Images

relayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #179
relayda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
same "naked bike" bike now...sans turbo and girder fork which I'm in the process of fabricating.
Attached Images

relayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #180
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,092
Quote:
snip
The difference between someones recent "Barn find BMW" thats had a bob job and a real Cafe racer is similar to the difference between that same bike and a real racer. A true CR is a purpose built bike, that has taken it's form because of function, not just style and that can crank out some speed and handling when necessary.

Probably the closest thing to a CR being built today, would be some of the European high performance Streetfighters. Those bikes embody the creativity and attitude of the cafe racers and they can back it up with performance that the period tuner bike riders could only dream about.
From what I've been told from people who were around the scene.
The term Caferacer was a bit of put down.
Kind of like a Drugstore Cowboy.
Caferacers by nature were and are poser bikes.
Hence the whole cafe culture that gave birth to them.
It was about looking cool and going fast.
Often form won out over function. Just to get the look right.

There are too side of looking at what is the closest thing to a CR today.
well here in Los Angeles there are tons of people making modern day cafe bikes Mostly out of late 70's UJM.
But some Italian stuff as well.
So that's about as close as you can get.
There is a streetfighter culture, but it's kind of stagnated into itself
With a look the more naked old Race Rep with funky headlight and high rear end. It has it's own styling cues thats "cool" for it's crowd.

Race replica bikes R1 GSXR CBR those are the bikes that are the most close to the idea of caferacer. But the building them part has vanished.