Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #181
cafebmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce21
CafeBMW are you having your work done by Moto works?
Yes. Most of it has been done at Motoworks Chicago. I've done most of the work myself at the shop. It's good to have friends with a shop. They do a great job.

Cheers

cafebmw screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 08:15 AM
cafebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #182
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
MyMindsOk nailed it.

IMO this is the best explaination of what IS and what ISN'T a cafe racer I've yet seen. Also IMO, if you're building something that looks like a cafe racer these days, you're doing so for styling or nostalgia, not as a purpose built machine for blasting canyons, etc. If you wanted to do that, you'd just buy something new. The worst of today's sportbikes are faster and better handling than the best of what we could do 30 or 40 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
I really don't think that what youre saying and what I said are the same thing and I probably wouldnt agree with you.

I said: "Cafe racers were built for high speed runs from cafe to cafe." What I meant was: " If you don't build or modify your bike to make it capable of high speed (100+ mph) runs on demand, it isnt a cafe racer.

I also said: "Back in the day, just as today, not all of the guys who were part of the scene had the skills, the cash or the creativity build a true Cafe Racer, so they made due with a short seat, hacksawed fenders, maybe a fairing, loud pipes and rear sets if they had the dosh."

Yes, at some time or another everyone wants to look like thier heros and fit into the "In crowd". If that means trying to transform some worn out hack, into something that mimics a Racer, then so-be-it. It gets you accepted. You can hang out. It provides you with an identity and something of a family. It's kinda like the street gangs today, without the drugs and guns. (But youre still riding a poser bike.)

Finally I said: "Most Cafe bikes could easily be refered to as "Poser bikes" but that would just piss people off and really.. It's only a hobby."

The difference between someones recent "Barn find BMW" thats had a bob job and a real Cafe racer is similar to the difference between that same bike and a real racer. A true CR is a purpose built bike, that has taken it's form because of function, not just style and that can crank out some speed and handling when necessary.

Probably the closest thing to a CR being built today, would be some of the European high performance Streetfighters. Those bikes embody the creativity and attitude of the cafe racers and they can back it up with performance that the period tuner bike riders could only dream about.

I guess that the important thing to remember is that "It's only a hobby". The Ace Cafe in London is 70 years old!! Do what you want, call it whatever makes sense to you and ride your bike. That is, unless you happen to be one of those "Lifestyle" sops, who dresses up like a 1950's Rock-a-billy Brit for every bike show and cultivates his duck tail in between. Thats shits pathetic... Loll!!

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #183
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I've witnessed some rather stodgy looking bikes totally thrash "sport" bikes.
It's not the bike, it's the rider.
Run what ya brung.

Me- I'm not half as fast as I used to think I was.
But I still have a thing for aluminium tanks. Guess I'm a poser...

I have to wonder why anyone would care?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #184
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I've witnessed some rather stodgy looking bikes totally thrash "sport" bikes.
It's not the bike, it's the rider.
Run what ya brung.

Me- I'm not half as fast as I used to think I was.
But I still have a thing for aluminium tanks. Guess I'm a poser...

I have to wonder why anyone would care?
That's true. If I was GIVEN the best handling, fastest bike ever produced, my 73 year old friend in CA would still dust me off on his ancient Norton. BTW, I missed one very important reason to build a Cafe Racer, and I apologize. The one and only reason I would build one (and may, one day) is to BUILD one. The build is the fun, for me, since I'm an abysmal rider

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #185
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
It's kinds like what one of my Va riding buddies said to me when I was complaining about a crew of Harley riding Yuppies, who wouldnt speak to us...

"Just remember Ken, every one of those guys is a better friend of yours, out here on the road, than a dude in a car is ever going to be."

Build you a bike and ride it!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #186
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,755
This is certainly a funny discussion. It's interesting how some get really heated up about what a cafe bike is. As I see it, it's a very broad category for the racey retro/classic street bike - mostly models from the 50s, 60s and maybe some 70s. It's a particular look, and when I make one, it's going to look good to me and maybe somebody else. But I don't care if everyone else hates it. Or says it's not cafe, it's "-----------" instead.

What else are you going to call it?

And besides - don't you have anything more important to get upset about? It's a bike fer crissakes!

Anything sporty is A OK with me.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #187
themarkster
n00b

Oddometer: 1
i just found a pair of those exhaust tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
I'll ask him when I see him on this weekends ride but I believe they are just the generic reverse cone pipes that are commonly available. He probably got them from JC Whitney catalog. The worked and sounded great though.
I just bought a pair of those exhaust today in southern california. They are EMGO shorties.

I don't know if they are called shorties but that is what I call them.
themarkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #188
relayda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
That's true. If I was GIVEN the best handling, fastest bike ever produced, my 73 year old friend in CA would still dust me off on his ancient Norton. BTW, I missed one very important reason to build a Cafe Racer, and I apologize. The one and only reason I would build one (and may, one day) is to BUILD one. The build is the fun, for me, since I'm an abysmal rider
Yeah, it's nice to just build one...just a poser or to see if you can actually make it perform better.

...although I can't imagine an ancient bike dusting a new sportbike. Try turning into a corner to scrub speed on an old Norton...I'm sure you will experience the limitations of the featherbed frame.
relayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #189
dmack
96 R1100gs

Oddometer: 171
Emgo mufflers

I saw several on Dennis Kirk's website

http://www.denniskirk.com/1/5/emgo-exhaust
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #190
KaiWE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Here's mine:

'74 R75/6 ex-Police

KaiWE screwed with this post 04-04-2009 at 02:55 PM
KaiWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #191
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,567
Yeah, this is sorta funny discussion.... I mean, who does care? We ride for fun, I enjoy riding a bike that I have worked on and take a lot of personal pride in that...I enjoy getting out, but will certainly never impress anyone with my riding skills.

I am a poseur, with a capital pee, no doubt, for doing this to a a 60/6 (yes a SIXTY!) but it is a hoot to ride, especially since my regular bike is a 50/2. So yeah, I feel like a kid, look like an idiot, but.........so what!

To me, this is a bike I would have loved back when I was young and foolish (and a 600 was a Big Bike!), but now I am no longer young, yet sometimes still foolish, and it has been just a real gas, and that's what matters to me. That, and coming home in one piece........
Old 10-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #192
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by relayda

...although I can't imagine an ancient bike dusting a new sportbike. Try turning into a corner to scrub speed on an old Norton...I'm sure you will experience the limitations of the featherbed frame.

It ain't the bike - it's the rider. I watched a 62 yo guy embarass several sportbike riders with a vintage Norton a few years back at the Moroso road course. Unfortunately the engine started going south before he could whup up on some more riders.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #193
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
I'll gladly admit that I'm a poser when it comes to cafebikes
I love the way the look. The function image is just plain cool.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #194
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,337

When the fuck did it become bad for something to look good?

Geez. Get a grip.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #195
relayda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
It ain't the bike - it's the rider. I watched a 62 yo guy embarass several sportbike riders with a vintage Norton a few years back at the Moroso road course. Unfortunately the engine started going south before he could whup up on some more riders.
...I very much agree with you ...but to an extent.

All those sportbike riders the 62 yo wupped were probably all "TOTAL" dumb asses. Scared, unable to pick a line and too stupid to know the limitiations of thier bikes. Sure then it does not matter. ...I agree...never give an inbred child a loaded firearm...he might shoot his Uncle Daddy.

..what if Valentino Rossi raced Jorge Lorenzo and Lorenzo rode his GP bike and Rossi had the old Norton or a let's say a 2008 R1 ....who would you bet you money on? In my eyes Rossi the current MotoGP champion is the best GP motorcycle rider EVER, but in this race I'd have to bet on the MotoGP Rookie.

relayda screwed with this post 10-25-2008 at 11:23 PM
relayda is offline   Reply With Quote