Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #706
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbone85737 View Post
Did Jimmy Nichols make the triple clamps or what was used?

Neat build
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #707
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
Ooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
The front forks are KYB 43 mm inverted units with Tokiko dual piston calipers.

Copied from the post, try again

Cool.

Can we get a shot of the cockpit? pleeeease.
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #708
guy152
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I like, nice work mate..
guy152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #709
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Help! Who has moved wires out of headlight bucket?

Just getting started on my cafe project. Bike started off as an R100RT so it has every optional wire possible coming out of the bucket in like 5 or 6 different holes. The bike will be naked with a smaller speedo gauge so it would look terrible like this as I can't hide all these wires.
I want to keep stock bucket as I like its quirky shape. Thinking best option is to move the entire wire block to under the tank as others have done in the past. My question is, have you done this? Was it hard to figure out? Looking at all these wires is giving me a headache! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #710
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Just getting started on my cafe project. Bike started off as an R100RT so it has every optional wire possible coming out of the bucket in like 5 or 6 different holes. The bike will be naked with a smaller speedo gauge so it would look terrible like this as I can't hide all these wires.
I want to keep stock bucket as I like its quirky shape. Thinking best option is to move the entire wire block to under the tank as others have done in the past. My question is, have you done this? Was it hard to figure out? Looking at all these wires is giving me a headache! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I decided to switch harnesses altogether from a 90's R100 to a R65 which went in conjunction with switching the controls to an older style. If you have the room under the tank (which tank will you be using?) it shouldn't be that hard to fab mounts for the relays etc.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #711
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoSanMan View Post
I decided to switch harnesses altogether from a 90's R100 to a R65 which went in conjunction with switching the controls to an older style. If you have the room under the tank (which tank will you be using?) it shouldn't be that hard to fab mounts for the relays etc.

I am using the stock tank from the 81 R100. I guess an R65 harness will have a few less wires except the Acewell gauge I am using kind of needs all those wires anyway as it has volt meter, directionals, etc...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #712
skrub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
This is what I plan to us on my project http://www.teamincomplete.com/Boxer/...r-wiringd.html
skrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #713
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrub View Post
This is what I plan to us on my project http://www.teamincomplete.com/Boxer/...r-wiringd.html
Do you mean that you will build an entire new wire harness yourself?
Is that diagram any different than the basic BMW diagram minus some things like directionals and gauges?
I wish they gave a pdf instead of that lo rez image.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #714
skrub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
This diagram is much simpler than the factory. Half the ln. ft of wire. I'll cut up the stock harness and reuse some of the longer wire and the plugs for the starter relay and volt reg. The diode board, starter relay and volt reg will be mounted where the air box used to be. I printed the Team Incomplete page and took it to Office Max and thay inlarged it, much better.
skrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #715
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Length of forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
The front forks are KYB 43 mm inverted units with Tokiko dual piston calipers.

Copied from the post, try again
How long are the forks and how will that affect cornering clearance ?
Would you mind measuring from top of the upper triple camp to the center of the axle ?

Nice job on that bike, btw.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #716
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
How long are the forks and how will that affect cornering clearance ?
Would you mind measuring from top of the upper triple camp to the center of the axle ?

Nice job on that bike, btw.
GOOD Grief boy and girls, aren't you reading ALL of the posts??? Pay attention!

Refer your questions to Darbone85737, IT'S HIS BUILD, NOT MINE.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #717
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Copy dacat

Sorry 'bout that, seems I quoted your copy.

So all I have to do now is wait for Darbone85737 to get a chuckle out of our exchange and then answer my questions.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:51 AM
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #718
Toaster.Tan
Toaster Rider

Oddometer: 159
How did you adapt the stem of the triple to the BMW head? Did you press a BMW stem into the lower - or some other way? What was affected: bearings, bearing tension adjuster, top nut? Any photos of that would also help.

ToasterTan
80 CBX-SuperSport~91 R100GS-PD~04 R1150RT
Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Toaster.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #719
Darbone85737
Adventurer

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been back east for a bit and just returned to Tucson this morning.

I'll get back soon to try and answer questions. Basically the stem was removed from my R90S and used to replace the stem on the KYB trees. The forks came from a 1989 Kawaasaki ZX7R that I got in a deal when I bought my BSA Gold Star. New tapered bearings were fit and new fork stops added to the frame. The hard part was making the BMW spoked wheel mate with the Kawasaki axle and the dual Tokiko discs. Jimmy did all the machine work and it took a lot of skill and time. I doubt he would want to do it again.

as far as ride height and rake/trail measurements - The ride height is going to need to be determined once the shocks are mounted. The first issue that became apparent was interference of the front fender with the front engine cover. That's been resolved. The shocks are Marzocchi remote reservoir parts that came from an old Ducati and are being rebuilt. They are 12.5 inches eye-to-eye. Jimmy set up the rake and trail for the new forks but I don't have those numbers right at hand. This is still a work in progress and we're making adjustments as we go while we determine what will work and what won't. The first ride should give us a ton of new information but that will probably be a few weeks out

Thanks for the interest.
Darbone85737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #720
Darbone85737
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Wow man! This is awesome in so many ways. I love the lowered look and serious front end! Lots of unique details on this bike, which looks like it should have performance to match many modern bikes.
What kind of metal are your headers made from? Is that titanium?

One thing for sure- since you started with an R90S, that should take the pressure off the rest of us building cafe airheads as far as BMW loyalists complaining about modifying old airheads!
The headers are plain steel made with bends purchased at a local hot rod shop. They'll be ceramic coated when finished.

I used to do pre-1970 BMW restorations. After I finished and sold a 1952 R68 I got bored with it and decided to do something different, I LOVE the rivet counters and "loyalists". After selling off the Daytona orange bodywork and other R90S bits I was left with the basis for this project at no expense. I used the R90S motor for the performance aspects and I think this thing will meet all expectations.
Darbone85737 is offline   Reply With Quote