Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #796
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
This bike has some nice features .

R80 frame
Single swing arm with central mounted shock with link system.
R80 rear drive(R1200C internals) (33:13)
Rear disc brake
VFR rear wheel (180/55-17 tire) Front and back wheel are in line.(strange for a BMW)
R1100S exhaust
Triumph fuel tank
ZXR fork
I would hope a lot of those modes where done for looks! They would make better sense that way!

That bike is too low. He has already gotten into the valve cover a bit and I can tell he hasn't been cornering that hard. See those 1/4" wanker strips on the back tire? I know from many a ride that it takes nothing to get those to completely disappear on modern rear tires. The front tires are a completely different story but . . . .

The easy rider front fender is a laugh! At least this one is actually being ridden.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #797
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
See those 1/4" wanker strips on the back tire? I know from many a ride that it takes nothing to get those to completely disappear on modern rear tires. The front tires are a completely different story but . . .
You can't generalize that.
Mounting a 120/90-18 tire on my 3" rim I have no stripe at all. With a 130/80-18 ~3mm remain.
And the front always shows the same wear.
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #798
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
You can't generalize that.
Mounting a 120/90-18 tire on my 3" rim I have no stripe at all. With a 130/80-18 ~3mm remain.
And the front always shows the same wear.
I think your right. I have seen him chase a VTR SP2 and that one was using every inch of both the tires. And was Not cornering faster than this bike....

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #799
supershaft
because I can

I still think I can. I might be wrong but I doubt it. I have run 120/90s, 120/80's, 130/80's, and 130/70's on my 2.5" rims. Never noticed any difference but I know from experience that a 180/55 is NOTHING like a 130 anything. Their profiles are a lot more square and subsequently a lot easier to get up on the edge. Plus you have to lean the bike over further to do the same line with a 180 on back. Those two aspects add up real quick to zero wanker strips on 180 back tires. Besides, I highly suspect that those forks don't have enough ride height for very aggressive corning for getting into the valve covers too much. There is no way to tell form the photo if the back has too much sag or not enough ride height or a combination of the two but the whole thing looks too low to me. I am not saying I know these things for sure but I am saying that my opinions are based in a lot of experience with such matters. If I am off it can't be by much.

Running a 180 on an airhead is yet another way to eat into your already severely limited cornering clearance. That I know IS a fact which gets me back to looks.

supershaft screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 02:54 PM
Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #800
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Question on the tyres, on my twin shock the 120 rubs on the big tube swingarm, does the mono swingarm allow wider tyres? or are the wheels offset to the left?

Wanker Strips....thats a new one for me....we call them chicken strips....
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #801
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Voltaire, I dunno if the info is out there on the interwebs - but I can measure my mono wheels' offsets if you like.

Someone needs to track down Prutser's friend and let him know that the internet decrees that his bike doesn't work. I suspect you'd need to catch him first though.
igormortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #802
Robbke
Professor McFarkle

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by R80st View Post
[IMG]
From old bikes
[/IMG]
Really nice bike- can you tell me which supplier the short fairing came from?
Robbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #803
supershaft
because I can

Yes, Monolevers have room for 130 tires. 140/70 Bridgestone BT's will fit but they are tiny tires. No additional offset than it takes to run the stock 120/90's. It does take additional offset to run 120's with a twin shocker. It sounds like maybe you are not running the wider spacer most run to use 120's?

supershaft screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 10:12 PM
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #804
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbone85737 View Post

Finally have it on the road and riding. I've been amazed how well it rides and handles. The time and effort was well spent. I'm loving it, except for the speeding ticket on the first day out :(
That's a thing of beauty. Nice Job! Bummer about the ticket, TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #805
Big Al_SA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
My CR, about 98% completed..

Awaiting some bar end mirrors coming from the UK, and then it's more or less done and dusted.

Alan
Big Al_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #806
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 550
Very nice.

You liking the 4 pot single disc? What MC did you go with?
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #807
Big Al_SA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hi,
actually the disc is a complete balls up.. It's made from the wrong steel,a nd sounds horrendous so I'm currently migrating back to one single Calliper and the original disc. I might put them both back and do a bridge off the first caliper, ala, the 800 GS's etc.. But I need to rund it first with the Signel Disc back on.
This was from a BMW 1000, but not too sure what model or make. Got it from a mechanic friend who raced them.

Alan
Big Al_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #808
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbke View Post
Really nice bike- can you tell me which supplier the short fairing came from?
I can't tell you where it came from, but it looks to be a repop of a Guzzi Lemans mk1 fairing.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #809
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That bike is too low. He has already gotten into the valve cover a bit and I can tell he hasn't been cornering that hard. See those 1/4" wanker strips on the back tire? I know from many a ride that it takes nothing to get those to completely disappear on modern rear tires.
It's a really cool bike - I'd like to see it without the luggage. I don't know if I agree about the chicken strips though. If he's using an early VFR wheel (seriously? it bolts up?) then it's a 5" rim and a 180 is too wide for that rim so the tire would be squeezed to a very tall, round profile and the sides would be impossible to use before the valve covers hit. Not that it matters really - we're talking about an airhead.

I'm more curious how the wheels are in line without the swingarm or frame being modified. I think the best that I could get aligned was a 150. Nice bike either way and I love the high exhaust. Different.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #810
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
It's a really cool bike - I'd like to see it without the luggage. I don't know if I agree about the chicken strips though. If he's using an early VFR wheel (seriously? it bolts up?) then it's a 5" rim and a 180 is too wide for that rim so the tire would be squeezed to a very tall, round profile and the sides would be impossible to use before the valve covers hit. Not that it matters really - we're talking about an airhead.

I'm more curious how the wheels are in line without the swingarm or frame being modified. I think the best that I could get aligned was a 150. Nice bike either way and I love the high exhaust. Different.

Gregor
I don't see how the wheels could be in line either. 5" rims are within recomendatins for some 180's I believe. At any rate, monster fat back tires are for straight line grip, not cornering grip. Something our airheads do not have a problem with. Plus as I said earlier, monster wide rear tires really reduce cornering clearance because, all things remaining equal, the bike needs to lean further over in order to make the same turn.