Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #811
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
If he's using an early VFR wheel (seriously? it bolts up?) then it's a 5" rim and a 180 is too wide for that rim so the tire would be squeezed to a very tall, round profile...
I think this key to making it work. I just had a quick look at my mono bike, armed with some VFR wheel dimensions. The tyre is probably not much wider than the rim mounted like this, helping with clearance.

The Honda PCD is 100mm, so too wide for the original hub face, so there should be a spacer/adapter in there, possibly integrated with a disc adapter.

Then, Id say theres some serious clearance work on that swingarm, backed up by the bracing you can see in the pic. There are obviously swingarm mods going on anyway - to get the shock mount where it is.

Id also bet that you could shave some material off the swingarm pivot point to get it hard up against the frame mount on the right hand side. By then I think youd be pretty close to having the wheels line up.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #812
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
It's a really cool bike - I'd like to see it without the luggage. I don't know if I agree about the chicken strips though. If he's using an early VFR wheel (seriously? it bolts up?) then it's a 5" rim and a 180 is too wide for that rim so the tire would be squeezed to a very tall, round profile and the sides would be impossible to use before the valve covers hit. Not that it matters really - we're talking about an airhead.

I'm more curious how the wheels are in line without the swingarm or frame being modified. I think the best that I could get aligned was a 150. Nice bike either way and I love the high exhaust. Different.

Gregor
The frame is modified. The right side swingarm pivot point has been placed to the right to move the swingarm.
The swingarm is been modified by making a bit more space so the tire dosn't run against it.And made stronger with the bracing. The engine is mounted in a different angle and height in the frame to get inline with the driveshaft.
With the wheels he's using there is a lot more choice in modern tyres.........

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #813
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
The frame is modified. The right side swingarm pivot point has been placed to the right to move the swingarm.
The swingarm is been modified by making a bit more space so the tire dosn't run against it.And made stronger with the bracing. The engine is mounted in a different angle and height in the frame to get inline with the driveshaft.
With the wheels he's using there is a lot more choice in modern tyres.........
Modern tires? I have been known to run too big of a tire for better grip but that was on the front. At least that reduces required lean angle versus increasing it. If I had gone to all the trouble to run a 180 while keeping the wheels in line and use forks up front that look like they have way less ride height then the stock setup, I would have raised the engine a LOT while I was doing all the rest. It would be a nice change to run an airhead hard with normal amounts of sag versus very little in order to keep the cylinders off the tarmac.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #814
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Modern tires? I have been known to run too big of a tire for better grip but that was on the front. At least that reduces required lean angle versus increasing it. If I had gone to all the trouble to run a 180 while keeping the wheels in line and use forks up front that look like they have way less ride height then the stock setup, I would have raised the engine a LOT while I was doing all the rest. It would be a nice change to run an airhead hard with normal amounts of sag versus very little in order to keep the cylinders off the tarmac.
If it would have been my bike I would have done things different as well.
But the picture was intended to show what people do to make a bike like THEY want it to be.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #815
supershaft
because I can

I thought the picture was intended to show that not all bikes are modified for looks? I didn't think that bike was a good example of that but to each their own.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #816
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
I didn't think that bike was a good example of that ...
please post a pic of your good example.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #817
supershaft
because I can

Please give me a scanner, teach me how to use it, and then show me how to get the photos up on ADVR. I promise that would get some photos of my bikes and work here on ADVR. I did actually buy my very first camera a few years ago. Now if I would only use it a little. I do have some pictures of my cat and a '64 I think it was MV Agusta I was working on in the camera. I have never posted them anywhere.

Maybe one of these days I will get the gumption to post some with my digital camera. If I would ever actually use it to start with. I guess I am just not much of a photographer.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #818
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Please give me a scanner...
You don't need the scanner. Use the digital camera to take pics of the photos.
Your camera's macro setting will help in getting good results.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #819
supershaft
because I can

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #820
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,709

Taken from here http://thebikeshed.cc/2012/07/31/unt...ie-sneak-peek/
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #821
Big Al_SA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61

Getting some Bar-end mirrors from the UK in a few weeks time. then it's complete..
Big Al_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #822
Funkydevil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
My daily rider-work in progress

Photobucket

1975 BMW R75/6
Funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #823
ThatVikingDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
[QUOTE=Player B;19355307]Don't think I've added my current project to this post, so here it is. I don't have a huge budget for this one, so many of the mods include using parts from the original bike (For example, the cowl cover was made from part of the original seat unit)

Nice seat!
ThatVikingDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #824
Dispatcher
FireDispatcher

Oddometer: 139
So many great looking bikes! Beautiful work done by all.....
Here are some pictures of my "current(est)"...lol....project...(yeah, NOT an English major)..lmao
Anyway....
Picked her up for use as (another) daily rider, but can never leave things alone......."hmmmm....maybe I'll clean this part"....maybe a little polish....paint....HERE WE GO..........

Waiting on the valve covers from the powdercoater...then all back together soon....ITCHIN TO RIDE!

Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #825
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 480
Cafe Racer

Maybe this has been posted already but I think it deserves another look. Seen at AMA Vintage 2012 in the Cafe Racer tent.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote