ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #916
bill42
Old-School BMWs
 
bill42's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
I'm not a great fan of the cafe racer thing, too many pictures of bikes that have been hacked about and ending up with por design and poor workmanship, but this bike is absolutely wonderful.
Well then guess what? You ARE a fan of café racers! Only, you have high standards and you prefer the high quality, well made ones. Basically, you have good taste. I love the ritmo sereno BMWs. There is not much info at all about them written in english. They have been around for a while on the BMW scene and they make really nice parts for airheads that you can see on their site. The parts are of course expensive, and the shipping is a ton, since it all comes from Japan. I once hoped to buy a bunch of their custom airhead parts but eventually found it too hard to communicate with them and too expensive, so like others, I found alternative parts, which luckily do exist and some are made right here in the USA. Some others on this forum have ordered seats and other parts successfully from them.
__________________
Bill C.
On The Level BMW Club magazine photo editor / Art Director
1981 BMW R100 Café build thread
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #917
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bath Uk
Oddometer: 1,750
Bill thanks for the complements........but I think that I prefer the standard BMW R90s riding position over clip ons and rear sets.
__________________
Charles
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps6e61ae2e.jpg
R90s 1070 replica, R90/6
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #918
bill42
Old-School BMWs
 
bill42's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Bill thanks for the complements........but I think that I prefer the standard BMW R90s riding position over clip ons and rear sets.
Sorry Charles. I thought you were liking the entire Ritmo bike as it stands. Those rearsets are not too far back from stock footing, and you probably need the clip-ons to fit your hands into that sleek retro racing fairing...
Although some low drag bars similar to an R100RS might work too. If built right, a nice BMW café should look like it came from the factory that way. I think Ritmo Sereno bikes pull this off well. They are more conservative than many of the others. The one I am building won't look as refined as this one. This bike almost looks like a show bike rather than one you would want to ride hard. So shiny!
__________________
Bill C.
On The Level BMW Club magazine photo editor / Art Director
1981 BMW R100 Café build thread
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #919
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bath Uk
Oddometer: 1,750
I do like that Ritmo bike as it is..............but I don't ride to cafes very much and most of my riding involves trips away from home and I don't think my back would survive the clip ons
__________________
Charles
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps6e61ae2e.jpg
R90s 1070 replica, R90/6
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #920
bill42
Old-School BMWs
 
bill42's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
I do like that Ritmo bike as it is..............but I don't ride to cafes very much and most of my riding involves trips away from home and I don't think my back would survive the clip ons
I hear you. I am 43 years young and I am not going with low clip-ons for the same reason you say. I don't ride long trips but on a nice day I would like to ride 150 miles and I have no idea what kind of punishment I am looking to put myself into!
My only other bike is a Slash/2 R50 with euro bars, and after a long ride my wrists eventually hurt. (Not my back though)
I guess that is the beauty of having a cafe racer as a second bike! I thing the rearsets will make my back curve less, not more, which hopefully means I won't get a back ache. That is my theory at least.
__________________
Bill C.
On The Level BMW Club magazine photo editor / Art Director
1981 BMW R100 Café build thread
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #921
Leadnuts
do-over...
 
Leadnuts's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: KCMO
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Any idea what that tail light is?
Looks a little like a version of a Lucas lamp...




Is there something more to lowering a bike than just lowering the fork clamps and rear springs? I want to do it but for some reason it makes me nervous their might be more involved.

I want a ridiculously cool fairing like that...
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #922
assquatch20
Hoss Cat
 
assquatch20's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
Well then guess what? You ARE a fan of café racers! Only, you have high standards and you prefer the high quality, well made ones. Basically, you have good taste. I love the ritmo sereno BMWs. There is not much info at all about them written in english. They have been around for a while on the BMW scene and they make really nice parts for airheads that you can see on their site. The parts are of course expensive, and the shipping is a ton, since it all comes from Japan. I once hoped to buy a bunch of their custom airhead parts but eventually found it too hard to communicate with them and too expensive, so like others, I found alternative parts, which luckily do exist and some are made right here in the USA. Some others on this forum have ordered seats and other parts successfully from them.
I'd just love to ride low and keep a passenger. Not to mention I could throw the Wixoms on with that setup. I'd like to make some black rearsets that mount in the same spot as those someday, and retain the stock pegs for them, to drive the look even closer to original. Honestly, though, I've never liked the sweep back of those fairings.
__________________
Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #923
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
I'd just love to ride low and keep a passenger. Not to mention I could throw the Wixoms on with that setup. I'd like to make some black rearsets that mount in the same spot as those someday, and retain the stock pegs for them, to drive the look even closer to original. Honestly, though, I've never liked the sweep back of those fairings.
Kind of like this?





__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #924
Sic Semper Tyrannis
.
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
kind of like this?





very nice!!!!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #925
assquatch20
Hoss Cat
 
assquatch20's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Kind of like this?


Good lord that's about perfect. Any info on that, or at least the seat?
__________________
Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #926
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Kind of like this?






Wow, there's some fine hardware in that parking lot!
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #927
Sic Semper Tyrannis
.
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 530
Ritmo Sereno bikes driven in anger....

http://www.ritmo-sereno.com/46blog/a.../12/003542.php







Onboard video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yYL83xJCYnI


Clearly some lightened internals in there the way it revs.....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #928
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Good lord that's about perfect. Any info on that, or at least the seat?
The seat is a reproduction of the Gulari sport seats of the 70's. The bike is my very original 1973 LWB R60/5 with the sport seat, Boxer Metal rearsets and German Hoske mufflers. It is a great 2 up bike.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #929
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,405
^Is that seat something that is available new?
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #930
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
^Is that seat something that is available new?
They are for around $300.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014