ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #931
Magile
"What exit?"
 
Magile's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Exit 163, NJ
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
The bike is my very original 1973 LWB R60/5 ....
with original, telltale "golden" intake tubes...most excellent... - M.

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #932
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked
 
Big Bamboo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Big Island of Hawaii
Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile View Post
with original, telltale "golden" intake tubes...most excellent... - M.

It looks like those rear sets use the original rear brake pivot hole? Any other modifications needed to the brake switch, or is it plug and play?
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #933
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadnuts View Post
Looks a little like a version of a Lucas lamp...




Is there something more to lowering a bike than just lowering the fork clamps and rear springs? I want to do it but for some reason it makes me nervous their might be more involved.

I want a ridiculously cool fairing like that...
That makes your bike a cafe poser, not a cafe racer since they have very limited cornering clearance BEFORE they are lowered. Maybe 'cafe low rider' would be a nicer term? Maybe 'too many donuts at the cafe racer'? How about 'cafe crapper'? SO many of the 'cafe racers' I see here and everywhere don't even talk the talk let alone walk the walk. Boat batteries? Stock shocks? Lowered? It's a BMW, not a Harley! The best thing about BMW's is that a lot of us are real riders. You can't really ride most all of these 'cafe' racers or 'scramblers' for that matter. It's reducing us to the likes of the typical Harley rider IMO and that's a sorry state of affairs IMO.

On the other hand! I love seeing beemers fixed up to haul the mail!!!!!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #934
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That makes your bike a cafe poser, not a cafe racer since they have very limited cornering clearance BEFORE they are lowered. Maybe 'cafe low rider' would be a nicer term? Maybe 'too many donuts at the cafe racer'? How about 'cafe crapper'? SO many of the 'cafe racers' I see here and everywhere don't even talk the talk let alone walk the walk. Boat batteries? Stock shocks? Lowered? It's a BMW, not a Harley! The best thing about BMW's is that a lot of us are real riders. You can't really ride most all of these 'cafe' racers or 'scramblers' for that matter. It's reducing us to the likes of the typical Harley rider IMO and that's a sorry state of affairs IMO.

On the other hand! I love seeing beemers fixed up to haul the mail!!!!!
People make customs the way they want them. Not to please you or solicit your endorsement. You just can't help but be insufferable, can you?

Let me ask you a question, how much brain damage have you sustained?
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #935
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
People make customs the way they want them. Not to please you or solicit your endorsement. You just can't help but be insufferable, can you?

Let me ask you a question, how much brain damage have you sustained?
Cafe custom! That's works! Cafe racer? Unfortunately that's a joke most of the time.

Let me ask YOU a question: Do you have the ability to make your point via discussing BMW airhead motorcycles? I already know that you can be rude and personally offending. Now that takes some brain power!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #936
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist
 
Boxer Metal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
It looks like those rear sets use the original rear brake pivot hole? Any other modifications needed to the brake switch, or is it plug and play?
My rear sets are plug and play.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #937
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked
 
Big Bamboo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Big Island of Hawaii
Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
my rear sets are plug and play.
nice!!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #938
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Cafe custom! That's works! Cafe racer? Unfortunately that's a joke most of the time.

Let me ask YOU a question: Do you have the ability to make your point via discussing BMW airhead motorcycles? I already know that you can be rude and personally offending. Now that takes some brain power!
I see that you didn't answer this question:

Quote:
Let me ask you a question, how much brain damage have you sustained?
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #939
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
I see that you didn't answer this question:
You answered mine. Of course, I knew the answer to that question before I asked it but . . . since you were getting stupid I thought I would meet you half way there. Focus within Les. That's is were you will find what you are looking for.

I see that now you are using a colon versus a comma. Maybe that is the start of a brighter future?

supershaft screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:30 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #940
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
You answered mine. Of course, I knew the answer to that question before I asked it but . . . since you were getting stupid I thought I would meet you half way there. Focus within Les. That's is were you will find what you are looking for.

I see that now you are using a colon versus a comma. Maybe that is the start of a brighter future?
I'm tryin' to help you out here.

If you own up to the Brain Damage, people would understand why you do what you do.

Just sayin'...
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #941
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
I'm tryin' to help you out here.

If you own up to the Brain Damage, people would understand why you do what you do.

Just sayin'...
So much for a brighter future! How can you acting like an ass help me out Les? Brain Damage? We are here to discuss motorcycles. Some of us are better at it than others. That's OK. No need to start making personal comments pertaining to someone's personal medical history. I know you really have no where else to go but give it some time. You might learn something and then you too can talk about these bikes like a good many of us do around here. In the mean time, you would be better off listening and learning versus pointing fingers.

supershaft screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:05 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #942
Fly Molo
Crazy Sniffable
 
Fly Molo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: WA
Oddometer: 65
Because "cafe crapper" is a completely objective and non-pejorative term.
__________________
My signature is over here.
Fly Molo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #943
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Molo View Post
Because "cafe crapper" is a completely objective and non-pejorative term.
I think 'cafe custom" is a good, fitting term for most of the bikes. Kind of a sad statement to me but . . . .

supershaft screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:07 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #944
assquatch20
Hoss Cat
 
assquatch20's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
They are for around $300.
Did you get it from Siebenrock? If so, metal pan or plastic?
__________________
Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #945
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist
 
Boxer Metal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Did you get it from Siebenrock? If so, metal pan or plastic?
They are on a metal pan. I get them from the same place Siebenrock does.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014