User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Simpson Desert, Aus

Apparently it's expected I write a ride report about a recent (as in last week) adventure ride Bikerooter, aka Steve "where the hell are my pants" Alldridge and myself did through some 5600km's of central Aus.

For some of you more blood thirsty types, this will be boring, no near death experiences, no tragedy, no massive get offs, just a great ride, on well prepared, *cough* suitable bikes through some of the harshest yet most beautiful country outback Australia has to offer. For those not in the know, "The Simpson" is the largest parallel sand dune desert in the World.

For those that enjoy supported rides, this is also not for you, as the added challenge of doing these sorts of rides unsupported is what makes them even better, kind of like having sex with someone you love, an unsupported ride adds significantly to the experience.

For those that long for twisty asphalt roads and clear mountain streams, this ride report is also not for you, however, for those with a thirst for the breathe taking, soul grabbing, captivating vast empty expanse that is inland central Australia, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride vicariously through me as I attempt to scratch the surface of what it was like.

It's difficult with words attempting to convey a ride like this, even pictures act as a poor record, albeit doing it a little better and unfortunately I am neither a comptent photographer or wordsmith but to kick things off, a random pictorial walk through the ride, best served by those with broadband. All pics by either Steve or myself, no post processing, resizing aside.

Sunrise over the WAA line, Simpson Desert
[IMGhttp://trevors.smugmug.com/Motorbike-Rides/2006/08Simpson-Desert-Crossing/R0010231/301526680_j8VUE-L.jpg[/IMG]

Top of dune panorama on QAA Line, Simpson Desert

Boulia to Selwyn, north West QLD

Sunset, WAA line camp, Simpson Desert

Sunrise, breaking Camp, WAA line, Simpson Desert

A poignant reminder, WAA line, Simpson Desert.

Cockpit of the KTM 640 Adv, overlooking the wildflowers in the Strezyleki Desert (had rain 4 weeks before us getting there, well timed on our part)

Steve may chime in from time to time with his own take on the ride.

Trevor S screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 07:16 PM
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Beautiful

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Dear oh dear , you could've at least had a bike flying through this pic.
[quote=Trevor S]Sunrise over the WAA line, Simpson Desert

[quote]

What a beautiful sunrise

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
Trevor always has the good reports!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Uzay
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 6,765
Thumb Desert is boring but interesting

great pix, what was the temperature? What tires does your KTM have? Magellan is ok but what Compaq for? ...and the guy who died on motor accident? How did happen do you have any info?

Regards

Ride till the end, until the end

KTM 950 Adv
Uzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
FuddyLogic
Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer: 1,048
Excellent Trevor!! More, more, more...

Any pics of Mac Clark Reserve, just Nth of Old Andado?

Fuddy

Is it cider o'clock yet?
----------------------------
KTM 640 ADV, Yamaha TTR 250, BMW R1150RT

Ride Pics
FuddyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZAY
great pix, what was the temperature?
At night, the lowest was single digits, through the day 20 - 25 mostly (proper degrees ie celcius)

Quote:
What tires does your KTM have?
Front was a Michelin Baja, rear was a Dunlop 908 RR

Quote:
Magellan is ok but what Compaq for?
Controversially, (as I have had this vigirous debate numerous times on here so I am not going there again) I think GPS units are considerably lacking in their ability to do mapping On the whole they are way to simplistic for my needs. The thing they ARE great at is comining up with an NMEA data stream to feed better mapping hardware ie good at being a GPS unit only. The PocketPC is like a KTM 950SE in comparison to a Suzi DR80 being a GPS in contrast to it's versatility and mapping ability, my opinion only of course but my background is Surveying, so I do feel my opinion carries some degree of credibility. What the combination does is introduce a degree of complexiity that can be confronting to some users, I thrive on that complexity as it adds considerably to the versatility.

Quote:
...and the guy who died on motor accident? How did happen do you have any info?
Nothing sorry. It was just a poingant remider to everyone crossing the desert, especially where it is located, 3/4 of the way across the WAA line. The memorial spoke volumes to me of the sort of person he must have been for his friends to bother revisiting that vast empty area to erect something like that. Riders die every day in bike accidents but this seemed special some how ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuddyLogic
Any pics of Mac Clark Reserve, just Nth of Old Andado?
Sorry mate, no, though I did see the turn off if that counts I half thought about heading in, as it was about time to pull up to camp for the night but we decided to press on up the road.

Trevor S screwed with this post 09-05-2006 at 01:02 AM
Old 09-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Racketeer
Must escape......

Oddometer: 881
Thumb Very Nice Steve & great pics

How long did you take for the rumble in the DESERT?

What camera did you take the pics with?

Also, can you point me in the direction of you post on the GPS Compaq combo?

Sorry for so many questions, curiosity killed the cat didn't it!!
Racketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,171
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racketeer
Also, can you point me in the direction of you post on the GPS Compaq combo?
Sorry for so many questions, curiosity killed the cat didn't it!!
Racketeer,
Here's the link to Trev's cockpit Project posting:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ockpit+project
It's well done and looks like a factory job
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Day 1 - Townsville - Blackall

The ride started innocusly enough, we headed out about 7am. The ride was a big one by our standards, the longest adventure ride we had both done, (by Adventure ride I meant off road, with only a few km's of bitumen, unsupported, multi day, I had done much longer easy BMW style rides on sealed and unsealed roads before but this is different) with the goal being to cross the Simpson Desert, circumnavigate central Australia by the least used roads and trails and get home safely, we had a lot of riding in front of us just to get to the Desert.

We started off down the back roads heading towards Blackall, a fairly straight route saw us crossing the bottom of the mighty Burdekin Dam,

a massive oasis of fresh water in a parched land, before heading towards Mt Coolon for a refuel and lunch. Getting miles under our belt was important these first few days, so we quickly headed down the Suttor Development Road before turning inland towards Clermont via the back property access roads,

obviously some talented craftsmen had sculpted these letter boxes out of what looked like off cuts of old drums in the grain harvesting area behind Clermont. We spotted several, the compulsory photo opportunity beside one, the detail was quite amazing.

Ever onwards and another quick refuel saw us heading towards Alpha before turning off towards Jericho part way around, unfortunately one of the roads we had been going to take had been closed, forcing a quick re routing and seeing us egress at Beta.

Never ceasing to amaze both Steve and I, some guy in a 4x4 pulled up beside us wanting to know which way to Alpha, he had no map and no idea where he was and complaining about a lack of road signs in the middle of no where .. having a KTM strapped in the back confirmed his IQ

A quick blast up the outback highway, past one of the worlds most ancient mammals,

an Echidna, basking in it’s status as one of only two monotremes in the World.

Steve had set Jericho as a goal but we were making good time, so we decided to keep going and head towards Blackall,

note to self, the Prince of Wales Pub in Blackall is a bit of a shit hole, avoid it next time.

Day 1 was safely over, with curious stares at the servo (Aussie slang for gas station for you non locals) for riding around near Blackall at night on bikes, the 'roos were as ubiquitous as PETA supporters at an anti lamb crutching rally.

Trevor S screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 07:42 PM
Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Thumb

Awesome.
Any pics of your bikes and equipment?
Suggestions on what you would improve next time, pack different equipment etc. It's the little things you hear from people who have done these trips that make me think "I would not have thought to pack that..."
El Toad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #13
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,835
Great stuff Trev. Your trip reports are always a good read.

How do you like the Arai peak helmet ? I'm beginning to get a little annoyed with my flip open hinged style helmets. My latest has been dropped a few times and they are a bit fragile when left open. Plastic hinges and associated fittings keep breaking.

I'm thinking of going for a "normal" non flip style next time and like the idea of a peak AND a visor, not goggles.

Do you get much wind noise, any other issues ?

Andrew Linton.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak
Do you get much wind noise, any other issues ?
1. It's an expensive helmet in Aus (IMO)
2. The peak is small and soft in comparison to a dirt bike helmet, this means it does not catch as much wind at speed putting strain on your neck like a dirtbike helmet but it does not give you the sun coverage as you ride into a low sun like a dirt bike helmet (swings 'n roundabouts)
3. It's the best helmet I have worn for Adventure riding use but it IS a compromise.
4. The tight turn of the visor leaves vision a little distorted if trying to ride with the visor 1/2 up.
5. Noise is much better then a dirt helmet but worse then a good road helmet (better then a flip up helmet) I always wear ear plugs.
6. I do no wear it on the BMW, only the KTM (Fox V3 on the Husky 450). I find my Shoie with an irridium visor a much better option. I also have the Schubert with the little internal flip down visor which is good but has the problems of most flip helments

Other options are Simpson and importing a Shoei (I imported my Arai before it was available here) but prefer Shoei Helmets on the whole
Old 09-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor S
1. It's an expensive helmet in Aus (IMO)
2. The peak is small and soft in comparison to a dirt bike helmet, this means it does not catch as much wind at speed putting strain on your neck like a dirtbike helmet but it does not give you the sun coverage as you ride into a low sun like a dirt bike helmet (swings 'n roundabouts)
3. It's the best helmet I have worn for Adventure riding use but it IS a compromise.
4. The tight turn of the visor leaves vision a little distorted if trying to ride with the visor 1/2 up.
5. Noise is much better then a dirt helmet but worse then a good road helmet (better then a flip up helmet) I always wear ear plugs.
6. I do no wear it on the BMW, only the KTM (Fox V3 on the Husky 450). I find my Shoie with an irridium visor a much better option. I also have the Schubert with the little internal flip down visor which is good but has the problems of most flip helments

Other options are Simpson and importing a Shoei (I imported my Arai before it was available here) but prefer Shoei Helmets on the whole
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Trev. I'll have to think hard about it.
It is expensive and it is a compromise.

Andrew.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote