Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #31
LavaBull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Totally cool adventure and great desert scenic landscapes... That kinda of riding reminds me of north Africa... many thanks for sharing this wonderfull adventure and cudos on the photography work...

2006 KTM 250 XC- Da Farter
LavaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #32
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Great report!
High praise indeed from an accomplished Wordsmith such as yourself..

no, I am not being sarcastic...
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #33
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,831
Thanks Trev. Great stuff.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:21 AM   #34
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

Another great report Trev, thanks for taking us along
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #35
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,652
Thumb

Awesome stuff Trevor

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #36
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Great stuff.

Is this as loose and deep as it looks?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #37
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Great stuff.

As Bull Dust and sand goes... this is nothing in Aussyland... i hit a bull dust hole on the Tanami track in 01 that was 15 inch deep.... had a big poof of dust on that one.... the wheel ruts look like most of it is pushed out of the way

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #38
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
so there you were cold, smelly and in the middle of the desert with bike rooter... awaiting the alien's anal probe... sorry wrong ride report.
What happened next your audience is becoming restless
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #39
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Great report Trevor. Did it in one of those A/C 4wds a few years back, and you're right. The only way to appreciate it is to be outside the cabin.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #40
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider X
so there you were cold, smelly and in the middle of the desert with bike rooter... awaiting the alien's anal probe... sorry wrong ride report.
What happened next your audience is becoming restless
Yeah, is there any more Trev ?
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:43 AM   #41
bikerooter
the hard way

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Great stuff.

This course sand is very ridable, change lanes,swerve past marsupials,whatever. Nothing like bulldust which has the cinsistency of talcum powder .
bikerooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #42
Trevor S OP
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Day 5 WAA Line - Old Andado

I woke up early 4:30am or so, shivering, slipped out of the sleeping bag for the thermals, jumped back in, could not get back to sleep and waited for dawns early light. The morning in the desert is distinctly different, the sunrise was indeed spectacular

There was a single bird calling somewhere, the quiet was enveloping, much like the sleeping bag. Steve muttered something from his sleeping bag, so I decided to get up, stoking the remnants of the fire to keep me warm as I watched and photographed the Sun starting to peer above the horizon. I felt much refreshed and invigorated after a solid nights sleep and was looking forward to the days ride.

After a dingos breakfast (as Steve calls it, which is apparently taking a piss and having a look 'round, actually it was a little more then that but I had to throw that term in somewhere) we packed up and headed off.

The riding was more of the same, endless dunes,

This are had some of the rain from weeks before, with wildflowers till out in few places

which were great to ride when feeling refreshed, especially as I could see the start of the rig road appear on the edge of the GPS screen. We only had some 50km of dunes to ride and it seemed to pass too quickly, even though yesterday, 50kms of dunes seemed endless.

Not long after we came to the start of the rig road, which was laid down some 40 years ago by oil companies when they were trying to suck the precious commodity from under the deserts vast landscape. I am sure with the continuing scarcity of oil the areas protection as a National Park will offer it little protection from mans need in the near future.

At the junction of the rig road and the WAA line we came across the first 4-WD we had seen in awhile, overly laded with wood for a campfire, they were headed down the rig road, and then on towards the Birdsville Races the weekend coming. It had turned into an overcast day, the threat of rain spurred us on to make a few miles, not wanting to be stuck in the desert.

Eventually you come out of the dune country into claypans, small, dry salt lakes and areas of packed clay soils, rocky outcrops with rocky terrain

the road opened up allowing higher speeds

Eventually we rolled into the first sign of civilisation we had seen for some time, the SA Parks office for Dalhousie Springs, with it’s associated camping area. We took the time to take a refreshing dip in the natural, warm, arterial springs, enjoying washing away several days of acrid sweat and smell from our skin.

Steve found it a touch too warm but if allowed, I could have poached myself in the water for hours. A trail of clothes indicating were we had been

After a well deserved light lunch of tuna, crackers and an orange, we had 5 spits of rain and decided to make tracks for Mt Dare, to refuel and take on fresh water.

Mt Dare is an oasis of another kind, the distances so vast out here it provided a welcome area for necessary respite, as well as fuel and supplies, we grabbed both before taking to the manager about the state of the track to Old Andado, most seem to head down the easier dirt road towards the Finke but as always we had to take the road less travelled. We had been reassured about the state of the road,

the first bit was twin track not well maintained, right up Steve's alley, taking to it with enthusiasm, it wasn't to last though, with most of the road being well maintained. We came across a small group (three) of riders, heading across to Birdsville on a combination of small bikes CRF250, XR650 and something else. How the guy on the CRF250 was handing the longer transport sections was beyond me.

After old Andado you head back onto the dune country of the Simspon Desert again, this time riding parallel with the dunes, making it fairly easy

,fast going

We rode until just before we ran out of light,

finding a couple of likely trees for my hammock, we set up camp for the night. Coincidentally we were very close to Camp 1 of the infamous "Madigan Line", Birdsville being Camp 24, a line of camp sites from when Cecil Madigan had crossed the Simpson in 1939, he did it in 24 days, we had done it in under 2, taking a longer route.

It was quite cool as usual, Steve in his ninja Chefs outfit prepared the nightly meal. Extra points if you noticed the dirt mound acting as a windbreak in front of the cooker in the foreground.

The only thing notable was the wind, Steve reassuring himself it would die off soon. He was filtering the grit with his teeth, being 5 feet or so off the ground saw me being rocked gently to sleep in my hammock with no grit at all. Steve's "soon" proved to be about 5 am, the other item of note was that I had plonked my arse down on a centipedes hole, prompting it to bite me on my arse through my thermals, much to Steve's amusement. I tried to hunt the bastard down in the dark, commited to throwing it on the fire but all to no avail.

Trevor S screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 12:54 AM
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #43
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #44
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
I started reading this post today as I prepare for a 6 day trip thru se Oregon. Called the high desert as the elevation is between 4-7000ft from the Cascade mtns. in the west, to the Rockies in the east. Your pics are superb and definately give the sense of the size and space of the areas that you travel.
Thanks for this great report as your trip is something I have dreamt about for many years.
Here is a pic of where we will be in three days.--Malhuer wildlife refuge-- This is still pretty mellow but becomes more exciting as we head south and east. This was taken july 30 on day 1 of a 15 day tour of the western high desert. Wish I could ride with you guys in the land downunder.
Attached Images

"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #45
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
really big

that place makes baja look puny!