Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,273
Thumb CACK-ified '87 KLR / OLD KLR's thread!

(UPDATE: 9/25/10 If you've been here before, jump to page 6, about 3/4 the way down for the new pics.) Here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522502&page=6

I just picked up the butt ugliest KLR Tuesday and I'm thrilled! The PO Ginslung was obviously inspired by the CACK threads and sought to emulate the "rat bike" style. I'm going to document the process of getting it OFF it's last legs, and INTO a reliable commuter. As such, I welcome all KLR experienced wrench turners / knuckle busters, to contribute and post picks, ideas, tweaks, and suggestions about the KLR resurrection.

First, the bike of doom in question is an '87 650, with either 26K or 126K, we just don't know. Ginslung (Dominic) used automotive under coating on everything but the engine and frame. Looked cool all black in the pictures, but was considerably rougher when i went to see her. My first impression was, does it come with a barbecue on the back and a swing-away can opener?

But, darned if the bike of doom didn't start immediately, and idle perfectly. And here was a bonus, all the lights and signals worked! Dominic and I walked around her, and it got worse. There was oil crud build up on the head and the crankcase. There's a leak somewhere, but I couldn't isolate it. There is a tiny little hole, machined, on the right side cylinder jug. I have no clue why, what it's for, or what may have previously roosted there. Oh well, it's a small hole, I'll look at the manual and figure it out, or JB weld it! Right?

On the left side, under the battery, it is rustily clear that there was a nasty battery spillage incident at some point. It has been sitting outside for some time, and even the bark buster chrome bolts are rusting where tools have touched them. The bars point right when going straight, and the seat must have been aftermarket at some point. It has nice foam, really nice black foam. I can tell because while the vinyl on the seat is fine, but the fabric in the butt area is deteriorated to the point that half the foam is exposed. The exhaust manifold is rusty, and I fear that I'll never get the rusted heat shield screws out. Maybe penetrating oil, heat, and an impact screwdriver. We'll see. There is clearly an exhaust leak up front somewhere as I can hear it while it was idling, but that's okay. It's not like it's a cage where the fumes will build up and send me softly into a permanent sleep, so we're all good.

Now, my wife is disabled and doesn't drive. The bike was about 50 miles from my house, so I asked my parents to give me a ride to the bike. Parents, they don't like me riding. But they got me started with an XL 125 when I was 14, so they shouldn't be too surprised. I just sold my XL 600R which was a very attractive red white and blue scheme with the gold rims. While my parents didn't like me riding a "dirt bike" 118 miles a day to work, they at least like the bike as it was clean and purdy! The look on their faces when they saw the bike of doom was beyond description. They were clearly scared just to stand near it.

As the inspection continued and I asked Dom about all the scars I was finding, their eyes got bigger and more frightened. They brought their little dog with them, and he demanded to be put back in the car until such time as the "scary black thing" went away.

With some trepidation, I hopped on and went for a spin. Surprisingly, she went up and down the streets of Denver and through the gears just fine. Little funky going straight but the bars pointed right. Took her out on the hiway, and Zooooooooom, up we went to 70 and she clearly had alot more left. And coming from an 80's XL600R, man was the bike of doom smooooth!

So I brought back to Dom's house, and the parents inform me that the low beam doesn't work. I waddle her backwards into Dom's Tundra. Oops, she is a little heavy. Pull forward and waddle back into the curb, and shut her down. Okay, this girl is no dancer, but she will clearly not poop out during a long trip, and man is she built for comfort. Let's do a deal.

By this time, the parents look like they are in full protest, encouraging me to look around and sleep on it. The dog still won't get out of the car. Too late! I'm in LOVE!

Dom and I negotiate the deal, filthy lucres change hands, and the marraige certificate is signed. The bike of doom is mine, for better or worse. Dom and I start going onto his porch and collecting the plethora of extra parts he is throwing in. I'm getting wood at this point, when I look down and see a brand new pair of nerf bars for the bike, still in the box. Some "new" shrouds and matching clean tank that Mountain Eagle had given Dom, get hauled out to the car / support vehicle. Knobbies, tubes, doo-hickey kit w/tools, manual, gas cap, brake bar replacement, and more. Once Mom sees the "new" tank, she relents a little, as it is very nice and very clean. This is good because Dom had discovered that the undercoating becomes liquid cresote when exposed to gasoline, and the tank on there is smudged and the previous color is poking through in streaks. Not to mention the rust inside the current tank.

Hands are shaken, invites made, and I hop on the bike of doom waving goodbye to a new friend. Bam, I hit rush hour traffic on a side street trying to cross Denver west to east. Go, stop, sit, repeat and forty minutes later and some close calls on the temp gauge, and we've managed to get to roads where cars actually go vroom vroom down the tarmac. Whew!

Gave the parents a pitstop in Parker and looked the old girl over agin. Nothing new has fallen off, and all looks well! I was cold, so I added another layer, and we start the climb east to the high plains. It drops another ten degrees and in the dark, the bright beam only thing is a little disconcerting. Finally, we were all safely back in our respective homes, and as I sat silently, alone, I stared and marvelled at my new metallic best friend. It's 7:30pm, and I have only had a breakfast burrito to eat at 10am, and less than 3 hours sleep the previous night. I crashed as soon as I got inside.

Last night, I busted out the wrenches and other implements of destruction. Got the new tank on, the bulb replaced, and the exhaust manifold nuts tightened and the exhaust leak fixed. I take her for a spin in the dark and adjusted the headlight back to normal. I also managed to lose the front turn signal retaining nut somewhere in the dark, since I had placed it on the bike while I worked. Damsit! I also can't find the radiator shrouds, or the new gas cap for the tank. Oh well, mix and match.

Finally, at 9pm lst night, I called it quits, with plans to ride her to work today. I Overslept, and didn't have time to go to the county clerks office, but will tommorrow. Welcome to my project. I just don't have a firm plan of where she will end up. One thing for certain, there will be no frame off restoration. I just can't decide yet on which way to take her. Rat Bike? Custom camo? Original colors and stickers? I just don't know yet.

Here is what I started with:

I have my work cut out for me, but I LOVE this bike. I had read all about KLR's, and expected it to be a pig, too tall. But when riding, it is nimble, quick, smooth, and only slightly taller than my XL600. This, is MY BIKE, I can tell it will be with me for a long time. It fits like a glove, and is just as comfortable. All the other stuff is just her little quirks which make me love her more. Honeymoon is on!

I want to throw some thanks to Dom for selling me the bike, at a fair price, and throwing in all that extra stuff. Further more, it isn't often that you meet a genuine good guy. Dom is that. How good? He actually told me to ride the thing for a week, and if I thought it was a lemon, he'd buy it back. This on a used '87 bike. How many people would do that? A big tip of the helmet to a great guy, Ginslung aka Dominic!

Now, show me your oldie but goodies:
Dave

UncleDirt screwed with this post 09-25-2010 at 07:15 PM Reason: Inspiration
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Congratulations on your new toy!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
ginslung
It'll take.

Oddometer: 223
Pleasure doing business with you Dave, and happy to send the old gal to a loving new home. Judging from the way that she would fire up at 5:30am at 35 degrees, I have a feeling that you're going to have that bike for a looooooong time.

So you know, she gets a little ornery when surrounded by SUV's driven by yapping idiots on cell phones and damn near begs to lane split - don't fall for it...that Halliburton case on the back will leave one helluva scratch on a Acura.

Also, she has a certain affection for 2008 GSA's so keep a close watch on her if they're about. Must be the accent.

Alright, enough jibber-jabber from me, get to work and have fun!
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Thanks Strom, glad for any tips or tricks you might have, so feel free to post up your comments, jokes, or pics.

Gin, thanks man, I hadn't thought of the minivan scraper on the back. Hmmm. And yeah, when that german bike rolled by while we were out there, I thought a felt a little whinney come out of her. Next Tues / Wed, I think the rattle cans come out for some color testing to see what i like.
Dave
Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,372
Are we talkin' the technicolor CACK that spent last winter in Spenard under a tarp?

The hole in the head drains water away from the spark plug.

Forks can be wibbly with plenty of brake dive.. did Ginslung set them up & are there any mods? If not or you arn't sure take them down & do them youself... the differance is huge.

Stick with 10wt fork oil (or ATF if you don't want to spend $20 on the real deal). Clean your forks, refill to 165-170 and try that. Even with stock springs it's a big improvement.

Lots of us also use a bit of air pressure on top to trim the ride... 10-20 psi. I know the manual says the valve is to let air out, but then thats the way forks were tuned in the 80's... by air pressure. It still works & no harm will be done.

If you can afford it, Ricor makes a really good valve (I have them in mine)... couple hundred bucks now I think, but worth it if you have money to spend... if not, set up what you have first. A brace is about $100 & worthy too.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer
Are we talkin' the technicolor CACK that spent last winter in Spenard under a tarp?
Yes. But I'm not going hi-viz.

Quote:
The hole in the head drains water away from the spark plug.
Cool, Thanks for that.

Quote:
Forks can be wibbly with plenty of brake dive.. did Ginslung set them up & are there any mods? If not or you arn't sure take them down & do them youself... the differance is huge.
I'm now a KLR owner, I'm too cheap to do any mods. Looks totally stock to me, but is smooth and straight tracking at 70mph. But I think something is bent, as the wheel is straight, but the bars and top T are pointing a little to the right. By the way, define "wibbly"?

Quote:
Stick with 10wt fork oil (or ATF if you don't want to spend $20 on the real deal). Clean your forks, refill to 165-170 and try that. Even with stock springs it's a big improvement.
Will do on the ATF, Dexron or Mercon? This will be an almost totally highway ridden bike. With like 15 miles of dirt road on the commute.

Quote:
Lots of us also use a bit of air pressure on top to trim the ride... 10-20 psi. I know the manual says the valve is to let air out, but then thats the way forks were tuned in the 80's... by air pressure. It still works & no harm will be done.
Will adjust that to firm up the ride, or to suit my tastes.

Quote:
If you can afford it, Ricor makes a really good valve (I have them in mine)... couple hundred bucks now I think, but worth it if you have money to spend... if not, set up what you have first. A brace is about $100 & worthy too.
Pfffft! No new valve unless something breaks. As for the brace, been thinking about that as it has none, but you have to remember, I'm coming off an XL600 and on the highway, anything is an improvement for me. Thanks for the tips / suggestions!
Dave

UncleDirt screwed with this post 11-05-2009 at 11:26 PM
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Think I have Dexron in mine & works good. Set level by removing springs and collapse the forks... fill until 170mm from the top. Less prone to high speed wobble and tracks better in crosswinds (and truck turbulance). Makes as big a difference as adding a brace. Cheap fix too.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,300
Welcome to the club

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
WOW! Thanks Hannda! What a great site. I'll be needing that for sure!

Dirt

UncleDirt screwed with this post 11-19-2009 at 08:17 PM
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Update 11/6/09 - Went out and fired up the old girl this afternoon. Had the title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance and set off for the County Clerk's office.

I was pumped and stopped by my local garage to show her to a friend of mine there. Had a few good laughs at the bike's expense, and then took off again. I got down to the Court House and trotted up the steps to the doors. WTF? They're locked??

I had planned on a beautiful long slow ride to work and several more this week as the weather is great. Not to be, for apparently the State and the County have instituted budget cutting measures. The sign on the door, says Mon-Thurs. No plates, no registration, no joy for Dirt. So, no shake down ride to assess different problems either, until at least Monday. Maybe I'll pressure wash her crud off Saturday, do some color tests, and then drill the frame hole and mount the nerf bars Sunday.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJane
Somebody's got an awful lot of damb gall for using CACK in his thread title, just to get himself some undeserved attention.

Especially considering the two-wheeler he's comparing to that legendary beast.

Jeez, noob, unwad yer panties and relax a bit. Last time I checked, Honda Pacific Coasts got even less respect than KLR's, but I digress.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt
Update 11/6/09 - Went out and fired up the old girl this afternoon. Had the title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance and set off for the County Clerk's office.

I was pumped and stopped by my local garage to show her to a friend of mine there. Had a few good laughs at the bike's expense, and then took off again. I got down to the Court House and trotted up the steps to the doors. WTF? They're locked??

I had planned on a beautiful long slow ride to work and several more this week as the weather is great. Not to be, for apparently the State and the County have instituted budget cutting measures. The sign on the door, says Mon-Thurs. No plates, no registration, no joy for Dirt. So, no shake down ride to assess different problems either, until at least Monday. Maybe I'll pressure wash her crud off Saturday, do some color tests, and then drill the frame hole and mount the nerf bars Sunday.

Go easy on the pressure washer. On a KLR, it's better to get in there with an old brush and get at it by hand. You'll have more of a chance to see anything that's vibrated loose, and catch it before it causes trouble.

Give all of the exposed fasteners a look-see, and tighten anything that isn't right. Add extras as time and your budget can handle, and ride, ride, ride.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

oh yeah... lots of KLRistas push Loctite.... I like RTV better for most stuff, but especially plastic parts because the RTV fills gaps & dampens vibration. It will come loose when you want without damage to the screw/bolt and generally seems to still have some holding power if you don't have fresh stuff to use. In any case use something... or bring along a gunny sack so you have something to carry the parts that fall off.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Thanks Bigger Al. For all the above.

I'll use caution an low pressure with a long degrease soak. It hasn't left a drop on my garage floor, but it's wet and caked slightly around the head. I suspect a valve cover gasket.

As for the peanut gallery, well one already got banned for excessive dickery. I guess he hasn't got it yet. That's the problem with both of 'em, they think that their way must be the only correct way, and they have OCD about it. Can't let stuff go. Seemingly anal retentive. I'll tolerate the stalking and dickery for a while and see if they get smart or not.

Cool avatar by the way. I photochopped a Mustang the same way, made it stubby, and I really liked the result. I'll send it to you once I remember to bring my flash drive. For being good and not calling in for a fiscal quarter, I get permission to call in for one day of my OWN leave! Whoot! I think I'll use it Sunday and get a jump on my weekend by working on the bike. And the ever present honeydew list you know.
Cheers
Dave

UncleDirt screwed with this post 11-07-2009 at 04:02 PM
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
UncleDirt OP
Uncivil to idiots.

Quote:
oh yeah... lots of KLRistas push Loctite.... I like RTV better for most stuff, but especially plastic parts because the RTV fills gaps & dampens vibration. It will come loose when you want without damage to the screw/bolt and generally seems to still have some holding power if you don't have fresh stuff to use. In any case use something... or bring along a gunny sack so you have something to carry the parts that fall off.
Will do Beez. That actually makes sense to me, about the RTV that is.
Dave