ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
Srbenda OP
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,981
SW Virginia Ride 9-16 & 17

I'm planning on meeting a friend of mine from SC somewhere down in SW Virginia next weekend. I'm coming from D.C. and he's coming from Clemson, SC area.

1) Where should we meet?

2) Where should we ride? We want to do some D/S riding. No single track, or anything too serious because we are on a F650 and a DL-1000.

3) Anyone else want to tag along?

It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
1) Tough question. It's hard to hit a bad road around here and I guess it depends on which roads you are traveling to get here.

2) It's not hard to find many miles of gravel roads in the area but if you have someone who knows where the good ones are it makes things a lot eaiser.

3) I'll wait and see where you guys are going to meet up at. I always jump at the chance to meet a fellow Advrider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadMan
I'm planning on meeting a friend of mine from SC somewhere down in SW Virginia next weekend. I'm coming from D.C. and he's coming from Clemson, SC area.

1) Where should we meet?

2) Where should we ride? We want to do some D/S riding. No single track, or anything too serious because we are on a F650 and a DL-1000.

3) Anyone else want to tag along?

1) how about tazewell, va? Or near beckley, wv?

2) Ride down to marion, va to mt rogers and sorrounding areas

3) Ill go, but i got a street bike.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
AaronADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
Look up Paint Bank,VA. There is a motorcycle friendly lodge there named The Depot. Lost of great roads, easy to get to from either side,
AaronADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,330
Nocturnal is the definitive rider in that area ! Check this ride report:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141430
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
Srbenda OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronADV
Look up Paint Bank,VA. There is a motorcycle friendly lodge there named The Depot. Lost of great roads, easy to get to from either side,
That looks like the general area. Somewhere around Roanoke would be a good spot for us to meet.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Nocturnal is the definitive rider in that area ! Check this ride report:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141430
Yeah until he blows a turn...

Hiya Shannon

There are no good roads in this area.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadMan
That looks like the general area. Somewhere around Roanoke would be a good spot for us to meet.

OK then head out 311 and there are numerous Forest Service roads that come off of it. Tub Run Rd for example is a fun one, then as you head up Potts Mtn there are more FS roads that come off of 311, which is a hoot in its own right.

Then you can wander around Craig Springs, head up 18 to Covington, ride 220 out of it and then double back down 606 into Clifton Forge and come back 220 to 615 back to Newcastle.

I will be out of town until the 11th and then have the dedication for the stadium on the 15th and 16th so I am pretty tied up.

There are many more if you are doing that area and staying around Roanoke.

That whole area in the Paint Bank, Newcastle, Covington area is littered with great roads that you will need to look for to find.

For example 618 just east of New Castle, it goes all the way over to almost Fincastle and has a bunch of fun creek crossings on it.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Srbenda OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
For example 618 just east of New Castle, it goes all the way over to almost Fincastle and has a bunch of fun creek crossings on it.

Now we're talking!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,889
I'd be interested in doing that ride. I could catch up with you on your way down. Are you camping or hotelling?

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #11
Srbenda OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnowledge
I'd be interested in doing that ride. I could catch up with you on your way down. Are you camping or hotelling?
Hey JK...I'm not sure yet. I guess that depends on whether or not I'm leaving on Friday or early Saturday.

Right my I think I'll be hotelling, because I have no bags for the bike right now, so my storage is very limited.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #12
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,889
OK, Just LMK. My mom grew up in Roanoke, and my grandmother still lives there. I haven't done a whole lot of riding in that area, although I did stay at the Willville Campground in Meadows of Dan a couple of weekends ago.

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
[troll]

That F650 is going to eat your lunch on the dusty stuff!

[/troll]

No matter what your on, that entire area is fabulous for riding... take plenty of pictures, but take a real camera would ya? Your cell phone shots give me a headache.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
John S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
If you find yourself stuck in or near Roanoke. Go see the Winston Link Museum. It helps if you like photography, have an interest in Mid-50s rural Americana or trains. The man took great photographs and truly did it his way, for the love of the trains and passion for photography.

Great area and roads, enjoy.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #15
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,067
If you're using Roanoke as a base camp, try 221S to Bent Mtn. Hang a left on 602, cross the Parkway, and stay on it until Ferrum. Take a left on 40 to Woolwine. Right onto 8, climb the twisty hill to Tuggles Gap. Eat there at the hole in the wall restaurant. Good breakfast burritos there. With a full belly, get on the Parkway south to Meadows of Dan. As soon as you get on 58E take your first right on 614(Squirrel Spur) and run it to the NC state line. Left on 103 for approx. 6 miles. Left on 647 until it tees into 631. Take a right on 631, pass Dobyns, then left on 815 around Tobacco Knob to highway 58. Left on 58 back to Meadows of Dan. You can take the Parkway back to Roanoke if you're tired or jump off on route 8 at Tuggles Gap and run it to Floyd. At the stoplight in Floyd take a right on 221N pass the Hardees and hang a left on 615. Take that to Pilot. R on 612, go 1+mile, then left on 610 all the way to 221. 221 back to Roanoke. This is all paved. For some dirt, jump off at Bent Mtn on Bottom Creek rd to Poor Mtn. Right on 631 which dumps you out in Elliston. Left on route 460/11 to Steverino's house for beer.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote