User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
just_go OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
paint black rims

Someone tried to paint the rims black.? How is it best to do. What kind of paint to use... etc
or is some special stickers>?
any ideas
just_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
dzl
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 80
http://www.vhtpaint.com/wheelpaint.html
dzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,649
Disassemble wheel, powdercoat, rebuild.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 620
Hey dzl , have you used this paint with long term success ? Painting over spokes and all ?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,704
Painting the spokes not such a great idea for an off road bike, all the things that jump up and hit the wheel will have them looking like crap in no time.

If you really need them to be black the best thing you could do is powder coat all of the components then reassemble the wheel. I would not coat the nipples and of course the threads have to be uncoated as well but that at least will give you a durable finish that will hold up for the long term better than paint.

If you have to paint then good luck, let us know how it holds up.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111

That's another thing I'd like to do to my XRL,..........sometime in the near future.

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:

NO!

Having powder coated many things in the past(including motorcycle wheels), the last thing I would want powder coated is the wheels on a dirt bike. Paint is your friend here.

There is good wheel paint available that is made specifically to adhere to wheels and put up with the chemicals and abuse wheels go through. Of course there will always be the chance of scratching them up, which is why paint is better than powder. Prep of course is key to how well it will stick long term. Clean and scuff appropriately.

Powder coat *can* be durable, but it can also be fragile and impossible to touch up. Paint is VERY easy to touch up, especially on a wheel that will see some abuse.

Take any "wheel shine" product like "armor all" and rub on the sidewall of the tire of the wheel to be painted/touched up. (not the tread). This will keep the paint from sticking to the tire and allow you to spray the rim at will for touch ups/painting without hours of masking off a tire.

It can be very frustrating and expensive to change a tire and chip a nice powder coat finish that can't be touched up easily.
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn
NO!

Having powder coated many things in the past(including motorcycle wheels), the last thing I would want powder coated is the wheels on a dirt bike. Paint is your friend here.

There is good wheel paint available that is made specifically to adhere to wheels and put up with the chemicals and abuse wheels go through. Of course there will always be the chance of scratching them up, which is why paint is better than powder. Prep of course is key to how well it will stick long term. Clean and scuff appropriately.

Powder coat *can* be durable, but it can also be fragile and impossible to touch up. Paint is VERY easy to touch up, especially on a wheel that will see some abuse.

Take any "wheel shine" product like "armor all" and rub on the sidewall of the tire of the wheel to be painted/touched up. (not the tread). This will keep the paint from sticking to the tire and allow you to spray the rim at will for touch ups/painting without hours of masking off a tire.

It can be very frustrating and expensive to change a tire and chip a nice powder coat finish that can't be touched up easily.
I have to respectfully disagree on this one.
I have done tons of wheels using powder coat for vintage mx race bikes and it holds up quite well. Mostly they get little pin holes that I touch up with a sharpie! Works great. Also they tend to get a little dull after a while, but wipe them down with armor all and they look good again.
I actually think the powder coat holds up better than anodizing does. But I use the same techniques on anodized rims to keep them looking good.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

I've had several sets of powder coated wheels get chipped that never look right when touched up.

Much easier to just spray with the original $5 can of paint and be done with it. Looks like new, not like touched up with a sharpie (which won't work on custom colors btw).

Much better than spending the time and effort to do powder coat.

I would do it on a street bike, show bike, etc. But think paint is cheaper, and easier on a dirt bike that really gets used.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn
I've had several sets of powder coated wheels get chipped that never look right when touched up.

Much easier to just spray with the original $5 can of paint and be done with it. Looks like new, not like touched up with a sharpie (which won't work on custom colors btw).

Much better than spending the time and effort to do powder coat.

I would do it on a street bike, show bike, etc. But think paint is cheaper, and easier on a dirt bike that really gets used.
Don't know about the chipping, never had one chip, just small scratches and pin holes.
Maybe your coater didn't prep it well enough?
The OP asked about BLACK, not custom colors, so yeah sharpie doesn't work on anything but black.
I don't think you could get one ride out of a spray painted rim here in CA with the decomposed granite we call soil. All of these rims have went on race bikes, both my own and customers (yes I restore bikes as a side job) with out one complaint.
Plus its not hard to do, drop off at powder coater, come back a couple of days later, pay the 25 bucks (cheap too) and be done with it.

Ok, it didnt work for you, but it has certainly worked for me.

bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy
Don't know about the chipping, never had one chip,

I've had some VERY durable ones and some that chipped like crazy using the same color. Apparently it can boil down to the material underneath the powder coat. Some of it takes the powder coat well and some doesn't

This is just more information on the topic, not really trying to argue the point.

This bike was a perfect example. The frame and wheels were the same powder, same prep, same coater. The wheels were bomb proof but sections of the frame were very fragile. I would not have painted these, powder coat was the right choice.

Quote:
I don't think you could get one ride out of a spray painted rim here in CA with the decomposed granite we call soil.
We have the same granite here in Colorado. It's all about the type of paint. Regular generic spray paint probably won't last. Has to be wheel paint. Let it cure and it is a VERY hard finish.

Quote:

Plus its not hard to do, drop off at powder coater, come back a couple of days later, pay the 25 bucks (cheap too) and be done with it.
Taking a wheel off, stripping off the tire, bearings, etc, driving to and from TWICE is much harder than "wipe and spray" ...and $25 more than "using the excess left over in the can"

I just think there is a time and place. Love powder coat for certain things, love the RIGHT paint for others.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_go
Someone tried to paint the rims black.? How is it best to do. What kind of paint to use... etc
or is some special stickers>?
any ideas

Anyone notice that there is no mention of street or dirt wheels. Simply how to, what's best.

BTW...I'll stick with powdercoating.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,044
ive had real good luck with epoxy spray paint. i think its the next best thing to powder coat by far, and in some instances might be a better solution.

i made a rack for my truck and epoxy sprayed it instead of the powder coating my bumpers and sliders got, its held up much better than expected, been put through some serious heavy brush rubbing and fared as well as the powder coated parts. i have since epoxy sprayed many parts and am still very happy with it.

i'm not gonna stick my neck out and say its as tough, but epoxy spray gets a thumbs up from me as a less expensive alternative to powder coating.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Maybe your coater didn't prep it well enough?
The OP asked about BLACK, not custom colors, so yeah sharpie doesn't work on anything but black.

bundy
Powder coat chips no matter what the prep work. Tire irons and rocks are not a powder coat's friend. Street wheel I wouldn't think twice about it. Trail...not so much.

Yes, he asked about black...where I get my powder coat done they have 11 diffrent blacks! Satins, dulls, mattes, chrome-blacks, then shades of just black.

I've done both. I like paint better for the ease of touchup-or deciding to change color. Plus cost diffrence.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:

Anyone notice that there is no mention of street or dirt wheels. Simply how to, what's best.

BTW...I'll stick with powdercoating.

Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote