Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Another Ride in the Daniel Boone National Forest...

Updated with pics...

Here are some pics of my recent ride in the Daniel Boone National Forest. I am attempting to connect all of the Legal Sections of the Sheltowee Trace Trail from Northern Ky. to Tennessee. So far I have routed from Slade to STree which is around a 80 mile leg with several offroad sections. There are gravel roads and single track and all of the pavement is really curvy two lane. I hope to finish the route this fall as each weekend I will be scouting. Here are the other ride reports and I still have a few shots of this ride to post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152358

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150717

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149268

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139678

This is what I came up initially, the really hard section you can't see. There is a small ledge that gave me trouble as I was afraid to charge it and slam my bash plate, so I used the clutch and walked it up - struggling a bit of course.

Once you make it to where I am standing you need to take this left side climb unless you are Inte or Neduro.

This is what you will be attempting to avoid.

This is the view from the top of the easier route.

This is from the top of the more treacherous route that did the damage in the pic below to Steve's bike...

This happened after Steve followed the leader, I wonder who was brave uh er stupit enough to try that section...to further the hijack with one more pic of the previous trip; below you will find Ray celebrating our Descent

Ray demonstrating the DRZ's wheelie power ...

Once you make it past that first section this wide off camber turn confronts you; I fortunately took the outer line to the right but almost lost my balance going down hill , SCARED SENSELESS I gassed it and luckily made it to the top . After surviving this near tumble I walked down to get proof of my success.

This is what you come through before the big off camber turn, and as you can see it pushes you to the inside. So that is why I think I got off balance, as I had to go straight up the center of the climb. I didn't read ahead well but learned my lesson .

This is I think the Fourth Crossing as you fall into Big Sinking Creek. At the first crossing you must gauge the level because once you get here it will be much deeper. Last time here I got bogged in this section, I didn't fix my vent lines and it died then flooded. Luckily it did as my intake is low and I had forgotten . Also it was very fortunate for me it was smooth as I had to push it from the far entrance to just right of where the bike is parked. The water was over the boots to around knee level.

This has to be my favorite pic so far in my adventures. I had sat at this spot the week before when the bike wouldn't start, after pushing it up stream and laying it over to drain the bowl. It was here I remembered what it was like to be alive, being stranded, isolated and in this rugged but beautiful place I knew I was where I should be at that moment. I was finding a new love, a love for adventure, for exploration and for living in this moment...I sat and tried to remain calm staring at the stone across the creek with the water washing by and was thankful for everything I was being taught...

This was the first pic I took of the crevasse.

A climbers route that started to inspire me to an understanding ; as in why or what challenges them and how they must feel to test themselves to ascend these beautiful formations.

On this ride I went back to complete the Bald Fork Rd. Section as the rains made the Big Sinking Creek rise last weekend. I made it through the creek sections and now have a gauge of how deep the lowest crossing will be from where the first crossing is. I am actually going to attempt to use the GPS to make an Elevation Grade Marker for other riders to know if they can take the BSCreek by how high the first crossing is... Above is a climbing section in the Pendergrass Murray Recreation Area supported by the RRGCC:http://www.rrgcc.org/

You can see the red tag on a bolt where climbers ascend the route. I hope to come back and photograph climbers attempting some of the World Class Routes that can be found in the Red River Gorge Area.

Approaching the Gap...

This looks like a crag? that climbers would secure cams in...

The left side was split but not the right...

The Ceiling...

The wall surface was beautiful. Evidently the climbers are very respectful as I saw no evidence of their being here other than the bolts...

My Asterisks performed great, I cleared the most difficult terrain yet today and will post pics later to prove it . I actually climbed up a road Chad and I both agreed would be difficult but I didn't want to take pavement to get to the start so I Ventured On ...

I was On Route to Turkey Foot to attempt to get more of that section completed and none other than Mr. Turkey Himself greeted me...

I am glad I stopped here for a break it was the last descent for the day and at the bottom I had become a little fatigued and the terrain that earlier in the day was easy now made me nearly fall several times. Funny how much focus you need to maneuver a 300 lb bike on single track , it isn't my 25lb FSR XC mtbike, that's for sure...I really like this pic as if the bike is patiently waiting for more fun almost whispering come on Dan lets do more, more...

The Gorge is a beautiful area and earlier I walked into a section that was off limits to Motorized traffic. It seemed so pristine and I plan on camping there if the intersection of my day passes here again...

Ready to roll...

I love the large stones and the Moss, it always inspires me, to see every new formation...

Well thanks for coming along and come back for my updates as I will add those Proof Shots of my bike above the Breach ...
Oh here is one Chad took last time we rode Down that section, after a rain:The front Jeep had to pull the Toyota up as he had street tires on ...

buffallodan screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 06:01 AM Reason: Updated to add pics
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,685
Thanks for taking us along with your pictures
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Gadget,
I have another roll of film I need to develope but don't trust Walmart with them as there are some Wedding pics on that roll...can't wait to see how those of the steep ascent turned out...

Dan
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,033
great shots Dan

I really like this one

looking forward to seeing more.

p.s. are those the new cell braces that have the boot strap? I have the older ones that work good, but would love the 'connection' to the boot. Did you set that up?
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey BP,
They have the straps but I don't know exactly what they are intended for from the directions that came with them. I assume they are for holding the braces in place; but they didn't move on me at all on my ride, ...what is their purpose exactly?

I am going to write a review of them later as I am really pleased with them particularly compared to the EVS Web's that I returned...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Medulla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326

It's great to see folks exploring DB NF. It's something I keep tell myself I have to do... as I mainly ride through it on asphalt to other destinations.

Hear it can be quite tough....

Medulla
Medulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Hey BP,
They have the straps but I don't know exactly what they are intended for from the directions that came with them. I assume they are for holding the braces in place; but they didn't move on me at all on my ride, ...what is their purpose exactly?

I am going to write a review of them later as I am really pleased with them particularly compared to the EVS Web's that I returned...
I like mine as well. I never really notice they're there, and they're quite comfortable.

The straps are what connects the brace to your boot. You basically drill a hole in your boot and attach the clip that came w/the brace to your boot. Then you cut a small hole in your pants for the strap to come out and around the boot, connecting to the clip attached to the boot. It's supposed to make it more like one unit and prevent your knee from twisting.

let me know how you like it if you get it setup.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Updated with pics...
Old 09-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,651
Hey Dan, the trail in the first 5 pics is now closed to motorized use. It is called the wilderness trail. It was closed in june for good. The rangers are giving tickets all over the Natural bridge area. The Narrows trail is also now closed. I think I have found a way through that area that is still legal but I still need to get down there and run it.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Jeff,
Damn I guess I am glad I rode it before I knew...
It is in bad shape from the Trucks and water erosion. I rode more of the Wilderness Road this weekend down by Wildcat Battlefield site...will post ride report later.

Dan
Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

I found some awsome new roads down on the KY TN border last weekend.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ya don't say, Damn Jeff we could have passed each other, I went to the Sheltowee Trail Head at Picket State Park this weekend after arriving Friday at Cumberland Falls I rode down Sat. to Tennesee. Do you have gps tracks you want to share? I found some good stuff too...

Dan
Old 09-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Thanks Gadget,
I have another roll of film I need to develope but don't trust Walmart with them as there are some Wedding pics on that roll
Post 'em!
Nice pics Dan. I wish I could do a ride with you guys.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
excellent

Quote:

Wow, I really like this photo.
Excellent report, buffallodan, thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Ya don't say, Damn Jeff we could have passed each other, I went to the Sheltowee Trail Head at Picket State Park this weekend after arriving Friday at Cumberland Falls I rode down Sat. to Tennesee. Do you have gps tracks you want to share? I found some good stuff too...

Dan
Ya, whats your direct email address?