Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2003, 11:21 AM   #31
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,324
Great story, Prehensile. Just goes to show you can't rely on the clothing, gotta ride safely too. Supports Lauren's point that some people look for cops. Although I bet if you asked the cops, they'd regale you with stories about people doing stupid things right in front of them. I find fascinating the studies on how our attention works.

If you have the time, you should read this report on Inattentional Accidents. It's a two pager, filled with fascinating examples of how professionals can blind themselves to easily observable objects and events, with deadly results. Amazing how we process information. Sometimes the filters we use to simplify the torrent of data that's assaulting our senses, fail us. When you're moving at 70 mph, the results can be disastrous.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 04-20-2003 at 11:28 AM
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:11 PM   #32
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,337
I have, after some deliberation, decided that many seemingly conspicuous riding suits (example: BMW riding suits) are actually not very conspicuous during daylight riding. While some are very bright with contrasting bits of color, there aren't any large blocks of color defining the shape of the rider. Instead, they use a pattern of shapes that, to my eye, functionally resembles a zebra.

An example was given of a bus being struck from behind. This doesn't surprise me - and not because drivers are idiots. As mentioned previously, different colors are perceived to be at different distances. If you mix these colors and in a busy enough pattern, the mind has difficulty locating the object - perceiving its shape, scale and distance. Think, again, of a zebra or, even better, tropical fish. The intent of their "camouflage" is to produce visual noise.

What makes some gear, aerostich for example, so successful in providing conspicuity is the large field of color they create clearly demarking a human figure. Also note that the big fire trucks, most often with one large single color, are much easier to recognize and place than a similar sized bus.

Now imagine these kinds of simple brightly colored forms in a visually busy environment (example: busy suburban shopping district) and the much increased ability to mentally connect the various pieces of color into one shape despite the obstructions.

I believe firmly in conspicuity.

-scott

p.s. I've settled on getting another stich. now I just need to decide between roadcrafter and the darien...

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:32 PM   #33
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Interesting point.

Check out the locomotive illustrations on the first page. The study it's from recommended the simpler of the two designs. They figured you needed the contrast of two highly disparate colors (bright and dark), but a simple pattern. Hence the few, broad stripes of bright and dark, versus the many narrower ones. Sort of along the lines of what you're talking about.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #34
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
Re: Re: Reflective clothing

Quote:
Said Chopperman:Countering this is rider complacency. And driver complacency (they see enough MPY clothes on bikes and they get dismissed)
Just curious, do you wear a helmet when you ride? Or any 'safety' gear, such as a helmet, boots or a jacket?
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #35
booger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Said Chopperman:
or riding naked.
how about both naked and on fire. now there's an eye popper.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #36
porterfish
Debaser

Oddometer: 2,530
One more thing that can make you more conspicious is doing odd things that drivers do not see everyday. Example :running down the road with the 520's blaring (i am now running them all the time) in a hiviz darien, standing on the pegs. I get so many curious looks and even those that obviously didnt see me (drifting into my lane) have seen me, if I notice something like this occuring I usually tend to stand up, this combines movement and the "noticeable" color which i believe would be supported by Sid's research. However, if the rider is'nt being hyper vigilant enough to see that a manuver should be made they will cream ya anyway. I guess that also supports choppermans agruement, this really is not a black/white issue but a good balance between the two. I am sure thats already been said but does need to be restated.

2 cents and I want change.
porterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:12 PM   #37
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:
Said porterfish:
2 cents and I want change.

One thing not mentioned in any of the articles I read was unexpected movement.

We know the human eye/mind reacts to movement. So I can understand why a driver might suddenly "see" you when you make an unexpected movement, like standing on the pegs.

I sometimes make wee swerves towards or away from oncoming left turn cars at an intersection, in another attempt to get their attention. Not dangerously, not close to them, still leave myself time to stop, still watch their front wheel for any hint of roll. I just do it as another way of trying to register on their brain.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #38
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
I dont bother with bright stuff

I wear stuff all safety gear other than an open face...i ride around the city in sandels/shorts & a tee shirt. If its cold or wet i will start putting on gear. My issue is self preservation, i ride a friggin' lot slower than most...i stay the hell away from cars where possible & i dont force any issues (here lies john grey...whom died defending his right of way) I do my own thing in my own space. I will not go through a green light unless i glance to my on coming traffic side. Now if i fall off..im going to be in some trouble skin wise but i think i am way safer than the 'matching tie & hanky' crowd racing along lane splitting on their '04 model zzrxccrx 857.321's wearing a set of leathers that will do absolutley fuck all to stop their heart & lungs being crushed as they T-bone a car because they are moving faster than the av motorist can process traffic info.
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:44 PM   #39
porterfish
Debaser

Oddometer: 2,530
actually they will break both their femurs on the handlebars yet fly over the car, and rib cages work better than that, heart and lungs are very rarely crushed. The intersection clearing habit is a good one. I learned to do that driving a meat wagon, no matter how loud your siren and bright your lights some ritilan crazed idiot whos attendion span requires a tv screen in their car will still pull out right infront of you, however a 4 ton box is harder to stop than my trusty steed, especially since most have 200,00+ nascar type miles on them. this is where i must agree with chopperman, we must be hyper vigilant, but being seen by most does not hurt. the main reason i dont ride in shorts, even to the grocery, is that i almost always burn my damn leg on something.
porterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:53 PM   #40
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Said porterfish:
actually they will break both their femurs on the handlebars yet fly over the car,
your right there....now we have all got our stories & here is mine. I have a friend whom rides like a missile on what ever came out a month ago & the bike mag said it is the fastest. He went into a corner too hot & hit the guard rail at about 20-30 mph...got flung over & broke his thigh bone. The bone cut the artery & his leg immediatley swelled up twice its size...the ambo's were there in 15 mins (he was a bit out of town) & said another 10-15 mins & he was dead as he was in shock from blood loss or shock or something. This is just one type of accident that i see as common, who hasnt over cooked a corner ?

An ounce of prevention.....etc etc

still this has nothing to do with bright clothing lights etc but riding a little less off the noise is in my opinion a big part in staying away from the blood box.
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #41
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Said booger:
how about both naked and on fire. now there's an eye popper.
You mean something like this guy?

Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #42
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Said Lauren:
You mean something like this guy?

I soooo can't wait for that movie. I know I will be dissapointed..but that comic really got me interested in bikes.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:14 AM   #43
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
You missed one

I found this and could not help but think of this thread...
this is just a test
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:38 AM   #44
wxwax OP
Excited Member

I'd say that was pretty conspicuous!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-29-2003, 08:53 AM   #45
Grover
Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Re: You missed one

Quote:
Said Bitt:
I found this and could not help but think of this thread...
this is just a test
Man, you're getting some serious mileage out of that link.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote