Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Yater, what fender came with the BD kit?
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #17
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsurfer
Yater, what fender came with the BD kit?
I didn't get a fender with the kit. Instead, I got the kit with the LED under-fender tail light. I ordered a maier rear MX fender to go with the light. Otherwise, it would have come with an acerbis rear light to go with the stock xr fender. Since the acerbis unit sits on top of the fender, it wouldn't allow room for the rear rack. I have to be able to carry gear....plus I think the mx fender/LED setup will look cooler.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #18
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

that fender is going to look good.

alas, family emergency has my seller out of town all weekend so it will be middle of next week before i can check out my prospective new steed.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #19
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the fender mounted with the LED baja tail light and motobillet rack. I still have to hide the wiring but you get the idea. I'm expecting the swingarm and linkage bearings today or tomorrow so she'll start going back together this weekend...I hope.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #20
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

I came home yesterday to another dennis kirk box sitting on the steps. I was able to replace the swingarm and shock linkage bearings without much hassle...and I cleaned up (zip tied) the wiring and spooned on the new tires. Here she is...

This bike should serve me well for a long time now. I'm really happy with it and can't wait to pound on it. I'll go see the tax man monday and slap a plate on 'er.

yater screwed with this post 09-09-2006 at 05:26 PM
Old 09-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #21
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

so how do you like it? how does it ride, etc. also, what bike do you normally ride? comparision betwixt the two?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #22
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsurfer
so how do you like it? how does it ride, etc. also, what bike do you normally ride? comparision betwixt the two?
I've been through lots of bikes. This one fits somewhere between my kdx and dirt model dr350. It only weighs a few pounds more than the kdx and makes much better power than the dr350. It turns better than just about anything and makes nice snappy power. If I can get it to cruise on gravel at 55mph or so, it'll replace the dr350 altogether. It's a FUN bike to ride. In the future, I may have the suspension done to suit my size and riding.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #23
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,539
I went with heavier springs front and rear I also had the guy who does my MX suspension revalve the rear shock, it makes a huge difference offroad. I put on a fork brace and an oversize brake rotor kit on the front and a Galfer wave rotor on the rear the thing stops on a dime with only one finger on the front brake.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #24
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
I like your XR alot, that is one of my favorite XRs, if they made the L version still as street legal...it would be the perfect town commuter hooligan offroader.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #25
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
very nice! I'll probably be going to one, one day , it really has more power then your DR?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #26
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
very nice! I'll probably be going to one, one day , it really has more power then your DR?
I'm not sure about horsepower numbers (don't really care) but the xr has a smaller flywheel than the dr and is lighter by 45#. The power is snappy compared to the dr...better acceleration. For a lightweight like me (145 lbs), the bike is a dream to ride.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #27
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have to say I'm not really happy with the fit of the clarke tank. The rear of the tank sits too low and causes a space between it and the seat...there's also a crease in the seat because of it (slight). The tank and petcock are a little too close to the head for my taste....surely I'm not the only xr owner to ever encounter this problem? (this tank also fits the xr400) Has anyone dealt with this tank? I think there should be a taller aftermarket grommet for the tank to lift the rear a little. I guess I can improvise but dammit. Also, the motobillet rack wasn't a perfect fit and I cross threaded a seat bolt because of it....for $170, it should have been PERFECT.

See the space?

Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #28
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,442
Can anyone tell me where to find the "Gordon's Mods"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
Gordon's Mods also includes the exhaust side - the bead where the header pipe exits the head (don't take off too much material) and drilling 3 or 4 1/4" holes in the end cap of the muffler. When I took the snorkel off my XR400, I installed a piece of furnace filter batting over the hole to keep dirt out of the airbox - worked great, cheap and easy to replace if needed.
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #29
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM 300
Can anyone tell me where to find the "Gordon's Mods"??
Here you go:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37645

I fixed the seat/tank issue with a piece of tube (tire tube) folded over 3x on itself....easy enough.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #30
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,442
Thanks for the link!!
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote