User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
R.Markus OP
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
640 High Fender Mod

Here's how I did mine. The Fender part is obviously easy. I bought a KTM supermoto fender and put it where it's supposed to go. I bought another brake line holder that was mounted to the upper triple and cut them both in half, then mounted the right one upside down so i would have a holder for the right side brake line. I bought another brake line (the same one that runs down to the left caliper) and used the T at the master cylinder and the single fitting at the left caliper. I then rant the other brake line down the right fork leg and bolted it on....all this is easy stuff.

The part I didn't like from other people's mod is the 85SX fork guards don't actually fit...the side bolt is usually just stuck in there and the hole is stretched out...plus I didn't like using zip-ties to hold the brake lines ( I screwed in conduit clamps).

So here is how I did the fork guards:

I bent two pieces of aluminum for brackets to hold the guard above the original mounting holes. I drilled the holes to mount it to the fork. I then slid the fork covers behind, marked, and then drilled holes for those.

I then took 5/16 T-nuts and ground them down until they fit the thickness of the fork guards. I ground flats on a couple so they fit in their spots.

I cut down shaped the brackets a little so they looked better, then sand blasted them.

Here it is put together with a Thor sticker that was lying on the work bench.

Speaking of my work bench...this is how messy it gets half way through a project. Don't worry, I just cleaned it all up.

Here is the bracket I made for the brake line on the right side. There is no screw hole on the right where the brake line holder on the left side attaches. That's just a conduit clamp...same thing I used on the fork guards to hold the brake and speedo lines.

Here it is all done:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
cwk
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Thumb

Nice job, and nice bike!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Hey, thanks for posting a method for dealing with the fork guard problem. '04 and later owners were always whining about this issue. Consider yourself indexed - well, hope I can get around to updates soon...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
MDCOA
Dilettante

Oddometer: 60
Excellent work, though I dunno why everyone's so hung up on the misaligned third hole on the SX guards . . . the guards seem quite well held on by the front two bolts only, especially considering that any rearward pressure on them will only drive their top portion into the front of the outer fork tube, which seems harmless enough.

On my '06 I ditched the right caliper and rotor, installed a supermoto fender, attached the SX guards using only 2 bolts, and hit upon the same solution as you for the brake line holders at the fork clamps--some 3/8" clamps and 5mm nuts and bolts, and Bob's your uncle.
Attached Images

MDCOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
I like the take-out window above the bench. You're servin' burgers, ain't ya...

ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
MDCOA
Dilettante

MC Part # for single disc conversion?

Hey folks,
Did a high-fender conversion on my '06 Adventure, decided to lose a disc, but found the stock M/C just pushes too much juice for operating only four pistons (one caliper's worth)--it works, but the feel's not very good, since the mechanical advantage sucks and the lever moves very little as one increases effort. Maybe I just bled it too well . . .

So, anyway, I want to put a M/C on that's designed for a single caliper system. Have found lots of posts suggesting this, but haven't found anyone suggesting an actual part number that will work, including brake light switch stuff . . .

Looks like the 2006 625 SMC M/C (58713001100) might be good, but the brake light switch is definitely different than that of the Adventure. . . and I cannot tell from the pic if it'll have spade connections at the switch, like the Adv. does.

Any thougts on going this route? I'd prefer not to have to cut and solder wires . . .
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by William.Rice
Hey folks,
Did a high-fender conversion on my '06 Adventure, decided to lose a disc, but found the stock M/C just pushes too much juice for operating only four pistons (one caliper's worth)--it works, but the feel's not very good, since the mechanical advantage sucks and the lever moves very little as one increases effort. Maybe I just bled it too well . . .

So, anyway, I want to put a M/C on that's designed for a single caliper system. Have found lots of posts suggesting this, but haven't found anyone suggesting an actual part number that will work, including brake light switch stuff . . .

Looks like the 2006 625 SMC M/C (58713001100) might be good, but the brake light switch is definitely different than that of the Adventure. . . and I cannot tell from the pic if it'll have spade connections at the switch, like the Adv. does.

Any thougts on going this route? I'd prefer not to have to cut and solder wires . . .
How about the master cylinder off of a single caliper 03 640.....

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
MDCOA
Dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
How about the master cylinder off of a single caliper 03 640.....
Thought about that, but from the pictures in the fiche it looks like the plumbing for the brake line's different. The '06 line has a 90-deg bend in it right where it meets the M/C, and the banjo bolt goes into the MC at 9 o'clock. The '03 M/C looks like it takes a straight brake line, banjo'd into it at the back (6 o'clock). I imagine I've done a crap job explaining that . . .

b
Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
jrs1100gs
n00b to KTM

Oddometer: 16
Question Fork Slider Cleearance?

Markus,
I followed your example, or at least I intended to. Upon completion I noticed that the Tee-nuts and fork gard now impede fork travel range, cutting it by more than an inch . How did you keep the stand-off clearance from robbing you of suspension travel?

Thx,
jrs1100gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
MDCOA
Dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1100gs
Markus,
I followed your example, or at least I intended to. Upon completion I noticed that the Tee-nuts and fork gard now impede fork travel range, cutting it by more than an inch . How did you keep the stand-off clearance from robbing you of suspension travel?

Thx,
Sorry for my confusion, but I don't know what Tee nuts and fork guards you're talking about--the SM fender itself probably takes up all of 1/4" of space under the stock brake line holder that's mounted beneath the bottom triple tree, and I cannot see how the 85SX fork guards would impede travel . . . how'd you lose an inch of travel? Maybe I'm just slow . . .
Old 02-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
MDCOA
Dilettante

Oooooh, I get it. You were replying to R. Markus, original thread poster dude, not me. He used T-nuts and stuff.

I have no clue why that's necessary. The 85 SX guards are held on plenty well by the front two screws, and, you're right--it looks like R. Markus' setup would cause a loss of some travel, or at least some nasty dings in the bottom edges of the outer fork tubes, when those screws hit 'em. . . why not just get rid of all that stuff and mount 'em like I did?
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
R.Markus OP
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1100gs
Markus,

Thx,
I didn't. In 8000 miles since putting that on I have yet to have the fork uppers hit the fork guard. I don't ride super hard like some. There are no marks on either the back of the guard or on the fork area...but now that you bring it up, I don't really like the idea.

However, I may try to design something different to fix the problem. A new project for tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Alternative to DIY:

Acerbis fork guards that reportedly fit some LC4s:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...k-covers-black

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote