Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
hedgetron OP
Sonambulistic

Oddometer: 14
640a High beam / low beam / combo beam?

Hey all,

After a beautiful and lengthy night ride last night (vampire rider!!!) I have been thinking about a headlamp modification. I don't know how the older 640 Adventures are set up, but on the '06 there is a pull switch that activates a "passing" light so you can flash the headlamp (high beam in addition to low beam). As any of you other vampire riders out there know, the stock headlamps are pretty good, but each has its weaknesses. The low beam casts wide and is great for going around twisties and stuff, and the highbeam is like a spot illuminating what is way up the road, which means you have to constantly switch between the two. Well, when you hold the passing light switch in, you get the best of both worlds! Obviously the boys in Austria don't want these lamps on at the same time or they would have allowed it when the regular highbeams were activated.

My question is this: What do you think would happen if one were to wire the high beam so that both lamps came on at the same time? Battery drain? Harness meltdown? Spontaneous ignition of the air in front of the headlamp?

Has anyone tried it?

Just curious before I investigate those fancy expensive bulbs.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,315
let me do this before everyone else jumps in here.

....did you check the bleeeeeppping thread?

if not, you got some required reading to do. scroll down,the lights have been coverd many times.

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4
let me do this before everyone else jumps in here.

....did you check the bleeeeeppping thread?

if not, you got some required reading to do. scroll down,the lights have been coverd many times.

laters,

laramie
Jeebus Laramie, what a grouch....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...69&postcount=9
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
thats funny, its you i was trying to save him from...

and what the hell is that link?

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
hedgetron OP
Sonambulistic

Uh...

Thanks for the scolding, I guess. I promise to check next time rather than add to the bad karma of stupid questions!!!! Yes, I should have checked the monstrous thread index, my fault. I guess there isn't anything interesting a new owner can do around here that hasn't been beaten into the ground already.

Maybe if I add nitrous or a blower or something on mine I could get some damn respect!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgetron
Maybe if I add nitrous or a blower or something on mine I could get some damn respect!!!
i bet that will make the thread, make sure ya take pics!

no man, i dont mean to bag on ya, i got it too when i was a noob. it takes awhile to get the hangs of this place. the best thing to do is always!!!!! check the thread. then if ya got questions, add it to that post so the knowledge accumulates. its' a zen kinda thing....heheheh

good luck on the work!

laters,

laramie

Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
I was going to say something... just as well, prolly' bullshit anyway.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
I would rather hear a repeat some times more then a look a my super cool new gadget/hootis thingamajigg I own this thumper thread crap!!!
Yes I am a noOb and who the hell do I think I am. My 2006 640 and 1200 adventures are stock and I run the crap out them.
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Uh...

Thanks for the scolding, I guess. I promise to check next time rather than add to the bad karma of stupid questions!!!! Yes, I should have checked the monstrous thread index, my fault. I guess there isn't anything interesting a new owner can do around here that hasn't been beaten into the ground already.

So didja find it? What I have done is swap the power wire's around from the park light and low beam. So the low is on when ever the lights are on, and the hi / low switch switches hi on/off. (actually its now a hi/park switch). had it like that for a year or so, no problems.

Having said that, the wires are very thin, it would be much better to do it properly, with a relay and new wires from the battery, like trevor S did. your lights may also be brighter that way due to less voltage drop (?) Apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
This is the pic that was originally in TrevS' post

And quit being a grouch Laramie, thats the 2 Chris's job. It's part of the ADVrider equal opportunity and employment for the (waaay) old program.

They just sit around doing dust farts other wise

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Uh...

Feedback noted. Thanks, I know...

No not everything has been done yet; check the how-tos at the top and then go over the maintenance sheet for your bike

Nitros has been discussed - the power delivery is intractable for off road motorcycling use.

The blower is a novel idea - no wait, that's been done on an RFS bike!

All Your Base Are Mine

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #11
KTMax m AL
Fagarwe tribal member AL

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Feedback noted. Thanks, I know...

No not everything has been done yet; check the how-tos at the top and then go over the maintenance sheet for your bike

Nitros has been discussed - the power delivery is intractable for off road motorcycling use.

The blower is a novel idea - no wait, that's been done on an RFS bike!

All Your Base Are Mine
That looks interesting but I doubt that it is a blower/supercharer/hair dryer of any kind. With the small pulley on the crank and the large one on that thing that looks like a hydraulic motor. Can't imagine what it would be for. For any kind if boost pulleys would have to be reversed. mmmmmm - Unless it is a hydraulic motor that in turn drives a supercharger. mmmmmm-could be but what a waste of HP trying to run all that extra stuff it would not be a very efficient way to extra HP. IMHO

From what I can see in the first picture it look like it may be a pump to run a fuel injection set up of some kind wish there was a better pic of the carb intake area. It does not drive a supercharger as the supercharger would have to fit between the carb and the motor.

I have had and been around turbos/superchargers/nitrous on snomobiles for years and they don't look like that. Unless you were strictly doing mod class hill climbs don't even think nitrous for a minute - the instant hit would have you on your butt in short order.

Quote from hedgetron;
"As any of you other vampire riders out there know, the stock headlamps are pretty good"

Tip: Rather than run an extra wire to the battery use the hot wire that runs to your accessory plug it's good for 10 amps and that would be enough unless you are using that plug for other stuff.

You are the only 640A rider that feels this way that I have heard of. I've had old BSA's and Tacos with Lucas electrics (worlds worst) that had better lights than my 06 640 Adventure has. Changes are in the mail though.

KTMax m AL screwed with this post 09-09-2006 at 11:13 PM Reason: error
KTMax m AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
hedgetron OP
Sonambulistic

Hey Max,

I guess I wouldn't say that the the 640's stock lights are great, but they are better than all of the other dual sports I have ridden (Stock XR's, KLR's etc.). Let's just say they are adequate for typical, non-professional, non-rallye usage, which describes me pretty good. No, I can't beat anybody's pants off in an off road night competition, I'll just be glad to fantasize about it on those gorgeous October nights in Michigan.

I may try the wiring shortcut that rjf posted (and I DID find the link in the index!!) but it seems like a new heavier gauge wire would be the ticket. That, and maybe some of them fancy bulbs!! YES, I WILL LOOK IN THE INDEX BEFORE I ASK ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax m AL
.... Unless you were strictly doing mod class hill climbs don't even think nitros for a minute ...
That bike was in THIS competition.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
KTMax m AL
Fagarwe tribal member AL

Oddometer: 303
Pougs Hole = Dejavu big time!

Meat checked you link on the Pougs Hole Hill Climb.

It brought back memories big time for me. I use to live in Utah and the Widow Maker Hill Climb on the old hill at the point of the mountain was always at the top of my list. I won the State #1 hill Climb in the 500cc class one year on a 360 Bultaco I had. If you have ever seen the old movie 'On Any Sunday' Is has a bit with the first ever full climb done on the Widow Maker hill in competation and I was standing at the top when the first rider made it over the top (no it was not me) but it was fun to see myself there when the movie came out.

Getting old is starting to suck.
KTMax m AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Max - Beez's pics are pretty cool eh?

Now about that EXC contraption above that he photographed, Isn't that a Champion sticker on that thing being driven by the pulley? I wish someone knew what it is... kinda weird that nobody knows.