User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
cenglebardt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
DRZ400S oil change

Gonna do the 600mile service on my new DRZ. Do I need to check/clean the oil screen? I dont have a shop manual. How do I get the oil screen out and back in. Any special tools or materials needed? I have changed oil on several bikes but never had to deal with an oil screen. All tips appreciated--Thanks--Carl
cenglebardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
XJMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
You "should" clean that oil screen but every time I have removed mine it has been clean as can be. Most important thing is to remember to drain the oil from both the engine and the frame. If you just pull the engine plug you will only change part of your oil.
XJMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,721
On my first oil change, I found quite a bit of debris on the screen. Probably from welding the frame together....glad I cleaned it.

After about the 3rd change, the screen started coming out clean. Now I only remove the screen every 3rd change. Still no stuff but it's easy to and give you some piece of mind.

Nothing special tool wise, its just a large banjo bolt and a hose clamp at the other end....takes just a moment or two.

Also the filter are has it's own little drain bolt. Take a look at the right side case and follow the buldge from the oil filter down. You'll see a bolt at the bottom. Its a nice feature that means you don't have oil running down the side when you remove the filter cover.

Ray Stedronsky
Davis, CA
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

.....and make certain you check the valve clearances.....

.....and quite a few DRZs have been found rather lacking in grease in the steering head bearings and also the swingarm pivots and rear suspension linkage.....yank it apart and grease away.

Ray
Old 09-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
cenglebardt OP
Adventurer

Ray--would you walk me through the process of removing and replacing the oil screen? I dont have a shop manual or any diagrams and, DAMHIK, things have a way of getting more complicated than need be!!--Thanks--Carl
Old 09-09-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,216
You don't sound like the kind of guy that is very experienced in maintenance to a motorcycle other than changing oil and filters (or I am terribly wrong).

Take it to the shop, the 600 mile service is maybe the most important service in the bikes life. You just paid thousands of dollars for it.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Sure Carl,

It's pretty straight forward but first consider MaxKool's advice.

Check with your dealer. Many will not cover warrantee claims unless THEY perform the first service.

The first service from a competent shop should include

Oil/Filter change
Air filter clean and reoil
spoke tension check
chain tension check and lube
tire pressure check
...most importantly...valve clearance check and adjust
coolant level and thermostat check
general safety check including all lights, horn, brakes steering head play etc.

This is not work that the service guys are "paid" to do so they tend to be fast and try to cut a few corners. I find that getting in the early AM, asking to watch and bringing a box of doughnuts or something helps tremendously....they're human too.

Have you done mechanical work before? Do you have your own tools? Doing an oil change with the "tools" that come with the bike is possible....maybe....but not practical. The oil screen plug is either a 22 or 24 mm and takes a bit of care to get the right wrench over the header and onto the plug.

Ray Stedronsky
Davis, CA
Old 09-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Oshow
n00b

Oddometer: 1
OMG!!!! DRZ 400 people!!!! I thought I was lost there for a second!!! I've never checked the screen myself. Always forget to. Am I in any trouble for not doing that?? It would really pay off to get yourself a shop manual. Check eBay or get one from a repair manuals website. I got a KLR 400 one from Kawasaki for around $40.
Oshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,609
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The Suzuki recommendation is clean it at the first oil change and then the first change after a rebuild. It's not something you do every oil change.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
jdiaz

Oddometer: 31,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshow
OMG!!!! DRZ 400 people!!!! I thought I was lost there for a second!!! I've never checked the screen myself. Always forget to. Am I in any trouble for not doing that??
I checked the screen on mine once, and it was spotless.

Then I sold the bike to MotoJoe, and he blew it up.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
cenglebardt OP
Adventurer

Ray --Thanks for the info. If the valves need to be checked, I will have the 600 mile done by the dealer. According to the tiny manual that comes with the bike, valves dont need to be checked at 600 miles, but I have heard that it is adviseable, so it will be done. I actually have done some maintainance over the years, but as I get older, I like dont like surprises, and they do occur!! So I did not do the oil and filter today. Instead I installed a Thumpertalk bash plate, TT case guards and Flatland radiator guards. All went well, only a few leftover parts! Next I will clean up the ugly butt. Thanks again--Carl
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #12
sireland67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenglebardt
Ray --Thanks for the info. If the valves need to be checked, I will have the 600 mile done by the dealer. According to the tiny manual that comes with the bike, valves dont need to be checked at 600 miles, but I have heard that it is adviseable, so it will be done. I actually have done some maintainance over the years, but as I get older, I like dont like surprises, and they do occur!! So I did not do the oil and filter today. Instead I installed a Thumpertalk bash plate, TT case guards and Flatland radiator guards. All went well, only a few leftover parts! Next I will clean up the ugly butt. Thanks again--Carl
Have the valves checked when the first service is done and record the clearances. Keep these for reference to see if the valves move, so do move some dont. Mine have not moved in 12000 miles.
Install a manual cam chain tensioner from thumper talk, the oem one has too much tension and will strech the cam chain at a rapid rate.
The first oil change that I done there was some metal in the screen but has been clean ever since the inital oil change.
Shawn.
sireland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Gavin Buckle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Please can someone tell me where to locate the oil screen. Changed the oil etc but need to check the oil screen.
Gavin Buckle is offline   Reply With Quote