User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
aernan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Video camera every day when riding

After seeing a bunch of funny posts about drivers in Russia using continuous recording video cameras in their car I was wondering if anyone was doing the same thing on their bike.

Do you have a camera? What model? Is it fixed to your bike or person?
aernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
g3arHead
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Check out the new CENTRcam 360 degree HD video camera. I've been riding with the prototypes and its really amazing!

We just launched a Kickstarter today: http://kck.st/1iAqtj2

facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/centrcam
g3arHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
aernan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3arHead View Post
Check out the new CENTRcam 360 degree HD video camera. I've been riding with the prototypes and its really amazing!

We just launched a Kickstarter today: http://kck.st/1iAqtj2

facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/centrcam
That's a really cool idea. A 2 hour record time probably would work fine for my daily commute but not so good for longer rides. Is there any way to get the device to record to a ring and overwrite the old stuff? Also it looks like the battery is sized for the record time. Any plans to make a bigger battery? Lastly how do I attach it to my helmet?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
CatFlap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by aernan View Post
That's a really cool idea. A 2 hour record time probably would work fine for my daily commute but not so good for longer rides. Is there any way to get the device to record to a ring and overwrite the old stuff? Also it looks like the battery is sized for the record time. Any plans to make a bigger battery? Lastly how do I attach it to my helmet?
The GoPro I have (Hero3+ Black) has a setting that will record a continuous 120 minute loop. then it just starts recording over. You can put a big SD card in them though and have several hours worth of space at 720p. Which to me is as high a res as you need to go if it's just gonna go on youtube or something.

It can also be powered continuously via the USB port.
I've not done that on the bike yet. But in my 4x4 I put it in a case with a hole dremeled out for the USB cord to go through and keep it powered/charging all the time. Hit a button on the remote to start/stop recording.

I have however had it do a timelapse using a small solar panel for charging your phone and such. Ran for hours until it got dark and then just went over to the internal battery for almost another couple hours.
A setup like that could proly be worked out so the panel is mounted to a backpack or something so you are not tethered to the bike with a USB cord.

Obviously not good in bad weather as the GoPro case has a hole in it.

that Centercamera is cool. :)
Old 04-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Id love something like this.

http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.ph...products_id=55

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
aernan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
That is really perfect. I like that you can hide the cameras. I like that it's designed to go on a bike. I like the dual camera setup. The storage and run time are perfect. The site says sold out. Where do I source it?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
CatFlap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
That is a nice little setup.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
lordkenyon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Would be great except, wow, they cheaped out on the cameras:

Sensor 1.3 megapixel CMOS
Channels 2
Record resolution 720 x 480
Frame Rate 25 fps

No reason not to have a minimum of 720p these days. I went with the Tachyon Bikercam. It's basically their tactical camera with a couple of extra mounts. http://www.tachyoninc.com/bikercam.php or Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tachyon-BikerC.../dp/B007M8QYBW

Honestly, it's disappointing there aren't better options for the moto world. I have two dashcams (front and rear) in the car that are fantastic and they were combined half the price of the bikercam. Good reading on the topic at http://dashcamtalk.com/
lordkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 486
An older Drift HD 720. I mount it to the top of my helmet. It's always on. I'll put it on the dash of the cage too when I'm driving.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
aernan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

that's interesting. I have never seen that product either. You said you got the tactical cameras. Did you get the night vision version? If so do you have some IR LEDs on the bike somewhere?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
lordkenyon
n00b

Quote:
that's interesting. I have never seen that product either. You said you got the tactical cameras. Did you get the night vision version? If so do you have some IR LEDs on the bike somewhere?
I got this exact setup: http://www.amazon.com/Tachyon-BikerC.../dp/B007M8QYBW The version I received is the standard Ops HD camera so didn't need the IR lights.

What I realized after it came in was that it seems like there's basically one camera (OpsHD) and a lot of different mount options like gun rail, motorcycle, helmet, etc. When you get the "BikerCam" it's the package for the Ops HD and then some other mounting kits and extras.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
That is really perfect. I like that you can hide the cameras. I like that it's designed to go on a bike. I like the dual camera setup. The storage and run time are perfect. The site says sold out. Where do I source it?
There is an updated version, but although I'm talking to the manufacturer, there is no retailer for them yet.

They can be purchased from the manufacturer direct, but on in lots of 5. Cost will be around $300 I would think. More information and a copy of the brochure for the updated version in this post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=38

There are two other running threads about permanent, low-key bike "dash cams"
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I use the Contour Roam2 cam on my helmet. Use it with a 32 gb micro SD card and in 720 the battery runs out before the card. It can run about 3 hours in that setting.
I charge it either at home or at work and I bring an external battery charger if I am somewhere where there are no power outlets.

my next cam will be the replayXD I think. Small slim design and perfect for my use. Just like the Roam2
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
1chrisb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkenyon View Post
Would be great except, wow, they cheaped out on the cameras:

Sensor 1.3 megapixel CMOS
Channels 2
Record resolution 720 x 480
Frame Rate 25 fps

No reason not to have a minimum of 720p these days.
True, but for recording two streams it would take up a lot more space.
1chrisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
lordkenyon
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chrisb View Post
True, but for recording two streams it would take up a lot more space.
Good point, but storage is cheap these days =). Looks like they have a 32GB max storage on them. Maybe an updated version would allow for multiple cards or large capacity.

On my car dash cams (GW1s), it chunks the videos into 3 minute segments with overlaps and eats the oldest when the card fills. It keeps them in the small segments to keep the file size manageable. The car is mostly a commuter for the g/f and it will generally hold about 4 days of running footage on a 16GB card.

For its purpose, works fantastically and automatically. With the HD footage, I can pause on basically any frame and read license places, street signs, anything. Very helpful for insurance or police purposes. If I were recording a road trip for a fun video, it'd be a with more purpose built device like a GoPro.

After living in SoCal for a few years now, I'm a big fan of dashcams. Lots of craziness out here.