Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Shark EVO v. BMW System helmet (observation)

Just bought a new Shark EVO 3 helmet, since my trusty BMW System 2 helmet is now nearly 10 years old and "VOID" is stating to show through on the compliance sticker. Both are split-face style helmets.

First observations:

* Shark is lighter. Much lighter.

* Shark has better peripheral vision, but worse below-horizon vision. I can't see the instruments without looking down.

* The Shark is infinitely better in the open-face mode. On the BMW helmet, the face bar sits up really high when it's opened, causing windage and very high centre of gravity. And looks like a "cone head".

* The face bar and its mounting are flimsy on the Shark. It has free-play in the intermediate position (neither open nor closed) - the BMW helmet does not. The hinge points are less substantial on the Shark.

* Both are stupidly incompatible with a bluetooth comms that need to run a wire from the speaker/mic to the main body. That's excusable in the BMW helmet since not that many people were using comms systems 10 years ago. It's brain-dead "design" in the Shark, and pretty much all other current split face helmets.

* The Shark has flip-down internal tinted screen, which is cool. I have to wear prescription glasses for riding - now I don't have to get expensive self-tinting glasses. It does not flip down quite far enough - the bottom edge sits at a distracting line across the bottom of my vision. This might be adjustable - some research required.

Have not had a change to compare wind noise yet. Probably irrelevant on an adv bike with a screen, since all screens seem to cause an abominable racket. I'll have to test it on my trail bike.
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 271
Interesting helmet.

So do you recommend it for the $?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
Interesting helmet.

So do you recommend it for the $?
I haven't spent enough time in it to give a serious recommendation, but so far I like it. I was down to a decision between Nolan 104 and Shark Evo, both around the same money.

There were a couple of brands that were cheaper, but none are brands that I'd have a huge amount of confidence in. Based on what was available locally, I'd say the Shark and Nolan are good value.

None of the shops had a lot of choice for split face helmets, even the big warehouses.

One grievance: I like hi-vis helmets and both Nolan and Shark charge a big premium for helmets with graphics on them :( And that discourages the shop from keeping them.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 271
I think it only goes to XL

My head is the size of a watermelon

Oh well... will just keep wearing the 54qt cooler on my head for now
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
I think it only goes to XL

My head is the size of a watermelon

Oh well... will just keep wearing the 54qt cooler on my head for now
ha ha, that's tough :(

I'm lucky that way, I'm a regulation "L".
Old 04-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
MFGamesta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
i have the evo 3. sena 20s attached fine. there is a recess for the speakers but i find the speakers too far away.

i like the evo 3 very much but after buying an LS2 MX453 dual sport helmet, i never wear my evo 3 any more. because it's lighter and much quieter when riding an F800GSA. i don't know how is quieter but it is. evo 3 is wider.
MFGamesta is offline   Reply With Quote