Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #166
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
Adventure Pipe from Adventure Motorcycle Equipment...beautifully made, easy install, complete instructions, good service, sounds and works great. Everything should be this good

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #167
crevans
Plays in Traffic

Oddometer: 489
My Rukka Airpower II jacket. Unbelievable fit, impeccable quality, extremely comfortable over a ridiculous range of temperatures (from 20 degrees with the liner and sweater and undershirt to 115 degree desert heat with a T underneath), wonderful, full-jacket zip-in liner made of Outlast, some sort of treatment on the outer shell that prevents the sun from making the black fabric hot, and very unique armor that lets the air flow. The armor is basically an unfilled honeycomb of some rubbery unobtainium, CE approved.

I miss that jacket sooooo much. It nobly sacrificed itself in a nasty 55mph crash. I doubt I'd have walked away from that in lesser gear.

I'd have gotten another, but they typically sell for ~$850-900, and I had managed to find the one I had on closeout for $350 since the Airpower III's were coming out and it was an unusually large size (perfect for me) and they wanted to get rid of it. I don't think I'll ever find as nice a jacket. I still use the Outlast liner for warmth and as a waterproof layer.

An honorable mention goes to my current cool weather jacket - a Hein Gericke Tuareg. Very comfortable, decent armor, very waterproof, and the leather patches on the shoulders and elbows are reassuring compared to a fully textile jacket.
"...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with." - Douglas Adams
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #168
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB
1) JC Whitney "Top Box"
2) TourMaster Jackets
3) MP3 player (never want to ride with out it)
Left one out... My Harbor Freight trailer. Folds up, portable and has held up great for hundreds of miles! I've hauled the bikes, furniture and Home Depot runs...Who knew?
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #169
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Frey-Daytona Trans Open GTX Boots. They aren't cheap at $449.95, but they are the best boots I have owned for touring and dual sport riding on anything short of hard core terrain. They are incredibly comfortable, fit like gloves, very quick to get into and out of, and of course they are warm and dry. They also are surprisingly comfortable to walk around in when you get off the bike.

Nom de Guerre screwed with this post 01-11-2007 at 05:14 PM
Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #170
duckbill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Interesting thread but am I the only one who is madly in-love with modern, sticky , tires?
The way I wear out tires the Tire companies should send me a thank you note.
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #171
Dudelookslikealady
Somewhere Else

Oddometer: 79
Thumb

Rallye 2 suit. 'nuff said.
Dudelookslikealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #172
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 862
thinking about best stuff...

swiss army knife- small enough to have in pocket all the time. allthough no replacement for a tiny penis, ive fixed a mountain of shit quickly without dragging the real tools out. ive never understood guys who wear 1K worth of safety gear and then hang a leatherman or sheath knife on their belt. ive crashed enough that its pretty easy for me to see how that could go bad fast.

cambridge courier bag-20 years old now. goes with me everywhere, lived out of it for months at a time. wont use hard cases again. takes 30 pounds off your bike and narrows it by 2 feet.

magnetic tank bag- ive got a wolfman, its huge. dont even need the messenger bag if im not camping.

cheap ass safety glasses- from welding supply store. clear and tinted- $4-9 per pair. scratch em, lose em, forget em somewhere- so what.

smartwool socks- and hat and now sweater. expensive. essential.

vanson enfield- 10+ years old now, been rezippered once. sleeve zipper tabs broke off a week after i bought it but its a second skin.

roadcrafter- i generally dont wear the thing unless it gets wet or cold, so it only gets used about 3 times a week.

sheepskin- thrown over any motorcycle seat adds big comfort. mine is gettn' so filthy its almost cool looking.
naw, it still looks gay.
bomberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #173
Wahoo
Persevering

Oddometer: 77
The best piece of equipment I ever bought was a 1961 Chev. Impala 2 door hardtop with a 348ci 350HP eng. Don't think they had one like it at Berrett/Jackson Scottsdale. Certainly wish I had it now.
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #174
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,766
MSR X-GK Multi-fuel backpacking stove.

If you must heat water, neigh unto boiling under the worst conditions known to man, or melt snow to drink, it's the only rational choice.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #175
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,122
ipod

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #176
Extorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Wink

The Arai Quantum helmet that saved my life in a bad wreck back in 1994. Got thrown approx. 70 feet and landed on my head. Woke up in the hospital 4 hours later with a bad headache and a little road rash but no broken bones. Glad I spent the extra $$$.
Extorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #177
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Arai XD helmet!

The cycle pump!
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 AM   #178
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
Best stuff

I was given a Garmin 60 CSX for this Christmas from my wife (she's awsome). All I have to do is figure out how to use it. I've put updated maps on it and have taken the kids Geochacing with it but I'm having trouble with the routing and tracking right now. If someone has any tips or words of wisdom they are welcome. Just PM me and I'll give you a call.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #179
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
A bamboo back scratcher. After a long day in the saddle, it's nice to be able to scratch my back. Aaaah! My litttle doggies like to have their backs scratched and so do I.

It's light, easy to pack and was about 3 bucks at the local flea market.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #180
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 907
Arai Helmet A++

Sidi boots A+

Teknic leathers (1&2 piece), Teknic gloves (Speedstar)

Scotts Damper

Scotts Stainless Oil Filter

Sargent Seat A++

BT012's, BT014's, BT020's

Quality disposable earplugs A+++

Cuba Libre/Mohito post ride...
Hosebag is offline   Reply With Quote