Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #76
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
My Adventure Rider donation, 2002 BMW GS ADV and my Northface tent.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #77
Canned Soup
The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer: 159
Gps

Garmin GPSMAP 275C has kept me on the right road in the car, truck or GS without using a pile of maps and allows me to dream of roads to travel when I'm stuck at home.

dave
Canned Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #78
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Soup
Garmin GPSMAP 275C: allows me to dream of roads to travel when I'm stuck at home.

dave
I am a big fan of the simulator mode.I can tell my customers don't turn theirs on until they are in the field.
If users get used to what they have,it makes it that much more enjoyable to use.And safer too.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #79
Gyromaniac
Betty Crocker w/ wrenches

Oddometer: 378
Another vote for the Aerostich one-piece Roadcrafter.

I love it, but I DON'T ask "Does this make my butt look fat?"
Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #80
rjdills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
1) by far it would be the Wilbers Shocks on my 1150 GS; lowered 1/2" front and rear.

2) one peice "Stitch Roadcrafter suit

3) Garmin 376 with XM radio
1977 Triumph Bonnevile 750 (Bonnie)
1977 Yamaha 500TT (Tata)
2001 Beta ALP 200 (Betty)
2004 BMW 1150 GS (Sally)
2007 KTM 450 EXC (Rikki)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Karen)
2008 Beta 250 LongRide Trial (Bella)
2008 Polaris Razr (Rachel)
2009 BMW 1200 GS (Bailey)
2009 Honda CRF 230 R (Heather)
rjdills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #81
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus
8) flat seamed underpants
9)
This wasn't high on my list, but seeing it reminded me it should be. After several 300+ mile days in a row, or one reaaaaalllllyyyy long day in the saddle you will agree. I have found out both ways.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #82
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 457
First three transformed the bike into the comfort zone, next three are my most used.

1. Ricky Bars
2. Fastway Pegs
3. Bill Mayer Saddle
4. Sympatex On Road Boots with New Balance sole inserts!
5. Caribou Luggage, the best stuff, the best value.
6. PIAA 959's (always on!)

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SOLD
'05 Honda XR650R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #83
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,021
M16-13z

I'm not a Knife guy, and I didn't buy this one (wife gave it to me before an Iraq tour a few years back), but this thing has been super handy, even used it to cut an upside down cager out of his seatbelt a few months back.

I have NO affiliation with Columbia River Knife and Tool!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #84
rockjock699
BorealBomber

Oddometer: 104
North Face Superlight 650 powerfill goose down sleeping bag...17 years and counting of hard use in 4 seasons. Excellent product.

Elkskin ropers

My GS.
rockjock699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #85
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Water bottle with a life like nipple.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #86
RedRyder
Jose Adventurista

Oddometer: 757
Bought in to the Aerostitch BS a while ago and ended up buying some "genuine" Californnniaaaa PPPPpolice Motorcicle gloves. 150% Pure EEEElksin ropers? Huh? I pretty much hated them after the first ride, second ride they seemed ummm "better"? third ride "fcuk u u cannot ever have these gloves from me unless you pry them off my cold dead fingers." Pretty nice gloves actually
I like my Sidi Discovery's too. Lots of little gadgets that just make it kind of "fun" I actually like Aerostitch cus its just a nice 9 hr ride from the "bush" to there.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #87
triumphant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
You never know ...

While riding the Continental Divide Trail I had just about given up on my Cagiva GC for it's lack of a centerstand. Oiling or adjusting the chain properly, or just doing routine maintenance was a bummer. But while cruising back to the trail from Denver (for a new chain) I passed through a small town and did a pure double-take after passing a large salvage yard full of Volkswagen beetles. Down the road I made the decision to 'u-eee' back and go in and talk to the owner of the little shop. When I asked him about the old style folding "crank" style jack - he sidled over to a bunch of junk in a corner and pulled out a rusted hunk of metal that resembled a jack. Weighing less than 2 lbs it was perfect. I asked him if he could clean it up a bit. He did more than than. Before I knew it he chucked it into a cabinet sand blaster and had it looking like new. When he passed it to me I asked if he had a welder. It was designed for a VW with a mount for the jack. Wouldn't work for me if the standoff post wasn't welded solid. Five minutes later he mig welded it and before passing it back he found a can of used black spray paint which gave the old jack a new lustre. We had been talking steady about my ride and when I asked him 'how much' - he laughed and said, "use it and be safe", turned and went out into the yard. I have used that jack time after time with wonderful results.
By the way: A new centerstand for the GC costs over $300 shipped from Denmark. I like the jack. Besides, it works for other bikes also.
triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #88
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Come ON Now ....

you HAVE to post a picture of this thing. I mean REALLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant
While riding the Continental Divide Trail I had just about given up on my Cagiva GC for it's lack of a centerstand. Oiling or adjusting the chain properly, or just doing routine maintenance was a bummer. But while cruising back to the trail from Denver (for a new chain) I passed through a small town and did a pure double-take after passing a large salvage yard full of Volkswagen beetles. Down the road I made the decision to 'u-eee' back and go in and talk to the owner of the little shop. When I asked him about the old style folding "crank" style jack - he sidled over to a bunch of junk in a corner and pulled out a rusted hunk of metal that resembled a jack. Weighing less than 2 lbs it was perfect. I asked him if he could clean it up a bit. He did more than than. Before I knew it he chucked it into a cabinet sand blaster and had it looking like new. When he passed it to me I asked if he had a welder. It was designed for a VW with a mount for the jack. Wouldn't work for me if the standoff post wasn't welded solid. Five minutes later he mig welded it and before passing it back he found a can of used black spray paint which gave the old jack a new lustre. We had been talking steady about my ride and when I asked him 'how much' - he laughed and said, "use it and be safe", turned and went out into the yard. I have used that jack time after time with wonderful results.
By the way: A new centerstand for the GC costs over $300 shipped from Denmark. I like the jack. Besides, it works for other bikes also.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #89
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
Jack thingy

You have got to post a pic. I cannot picture this. Thanks....
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #90
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 718
The original bug jacks looked like this:

But I think the thing he's talking about is just a plain old scissor jack?

You can still get them at AutoZone etc for $15. That horizontal bar through the middle is threaded, and as you turn the end on the right (with a wrench or a special bar that hooks through the loop) is squeezes the sides together, raising the jack. I'd still rather wedge a stick under the swingarm, but my bike doesn't way a ton.

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote