User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #16
Chadleys1 OP
working on it

Oddometer: 561
OK that's it

I am going to cut this short as the rest of the trip is not that exciting, and I am out of photos.
From memphis, I ran the interstates all the way home to Austin, which took two days. The reason for this was that I wanted to be back in time to see the U.T./ohio state game. We lost.
I learned a lot about preparation on this trip.

No, I never caught up with the Dallas guys, and I think that they think I am crazy, or am I being paranoid again?

Here is a picture of me right as I made it home. The bike performed flawlessly, even amazingly. I really love it, and have a bunch of cool mods planned for it to make it even better.
1248 miles - good trip - the next one will be MUCH better!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #17
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
WTF? You drove 22 hours with those guys and never saw them again? Were they friends of yours?? Nice ride anyway but damn...
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #18
Chadleys1 OP
working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
WTF? You drove 22 hours with those guys and never saw them again? Were they friends of yours?? Nice ride anyway but damn...
I know, it is hillarious, embarrasing and hillarious. The embarrassing part just makes it more hillarious.
The first night I was only about 20 miles from where they were at, but because of the phone malfunction, we never got it together.
I only knew them through the internet, but they were good guys who I am sure I will end up riding with some time in the future.
I will try to get them to post something on this thread, even though it will probably be at my expense. haha
In their defense, they were trying to get a hold of me the whole time, I just didn't know it.

Chadleys1 screwed with this post 09-10-2006 at 10:37 PM Reason: spelling
Chadleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #19
hobie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
i enjoyed it
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 AM   #20
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,048
Nice pics! Nice bike
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:47 AM   #21
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Loved it

I nearly bought a Husky but it didn't have an ignition lock which is a necessary item in Sydney.

Your bike looks great - loved the pics and story

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:14 AM   #22
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadleys1
OK, the cool part of the story is over and from here on out it was just me cruising around by myself. I went and visited my brother and family near Nashville for a day and got some good sleep and eats. Oh yeah, speaking of eats, they have a place called Krystals in Tennessee that served me a bowl of grits with a sausage patty, eggs, jalapenos, onions, and cheese all mixed in that was pretty freaking good.

Here are some dogs that looked like they were posing to me. They were on the side of the road and just sitting there in front of a nice house. Yeah, I am a dog guy. My avatar is my dog Gustavo as a puppy with crazy eye.
Nice dogs IF they like people. Enjoying your pictures.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #23
bpeterson
pssst! over here.

Oddometer: 921
good stuff man

i can almost picture you laughing to yourself as you had to walk BACK across the river.
'02 DR-Z 400S
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #24
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
Great thread, love the TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackator
I nearly bought a Husky but it didn't have an ignition lock which is a necessary item in Sydney.

Your bike looks great - loved the pics and story
Weird, even my 250cc Husqvarna dirt bike has a steering lock (its down on the steering head, not up top like a modern street bike).
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #25
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Great report Chadley,

Now that you got your feet wet , we should start planning on doing some of the TAT together, so there can be two idiots posting a kindof Stooges version of Gaspipes and Bigdogs report. I dropped my bike more times this weekend than all previous combined ...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #26
duug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
From a Dallas guy

Quote:
I am going to cut this short as the rest of the trip is not that exciting, and I am out of photos.
From memphis, I ran the interstates all the way home to Austin, which took two days. The reason for this was that I wanted to be back in time to see the U.T./ohio state game. We lost.

No, I never caught up with the Dallas guys, and I think that they think I am crazy, or am I being paranoid again?

Here is a picture of me right as I made it home. The bike performed flawlessly, even amazingly. I really love it, and have a bunch of cool mods planned for it to make it even better.
1248 miles - good trip - the next one will be MUCH better!
First, I'd like to say excellent ride report and second, we were really upset we didn't link up with you. Being all newbies (at least to this kind of distance ride) we didn't quite know what to expect. I think that if your phone had worked that first day it would have been easy to find each other. We actually did wait about an hour at a gas station hoping you would come by any minute. Of course, we didn't know what the rain was doing to you at the time. The second night we were sure you'd roll on in to the campsite at any moment. That was when we finally got a hold of you at your brother's.

I could go on, but the point is that we really were looking forward to riding with you and with our communication problems (after leaving 24 messages) we thought that we were the dorks you were trying to avoid!

In any case, we all made it back safely and learned how difficult linking up can be without commo. I've got a ride report coming as well and will go into detail about gear selection.

PS Every time we heard a tree frog, we were wishing you were there to identify it for us! Also, how did those Sweet Cheeks do? By day 7 I was shifting around quite a bit in the saddle if you know what I mean.

03 640 ADV (Sold)
87 Cagiva Desert Racer (Sold)
85 K100RS (Sold)
86 Neeeenja 600 (Sold)
duug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #27
Chadleys1 OP
working on it

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duug
Also, how did those Sweet Cheeks do? By day 7 I was shifting around quite a bit in the saddle if you know what I mean.
I am sure the sweet cheeks helped a lot, but my butt was still hurting. I am going to look into adding a sheepskin pad like you had on your KTM, that might help.

I learned a lot about how all the little things can screw you up on a trip like this, and will be more ready the next time out. I still had a great time, and although it was not what I expected, I think it was just what I needed.

I just checked out you and Steven's photos on kodakshare(?) and they were great. The deep water crossing shots were my favorites.

Thanks for the compliment on my ride report.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #28
Chadleys1 OP
working on it

funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggeo
it taps on the keyboard and gives us more....or it gets the hose....
Now THAT is funny. -cracking up last night when I read it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #29
Pacifico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
[quote=Chadleys1]I am going to cut this short as the rest of the trip is not that exciting, and I am out of photos.

You learned a lot about trip preparation? Do tell!
Pacifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #30
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
OK, the cool part of the story is over and from here on out it was just me cruising around by myself. I went and visited my brother and family near Nashville for a day and got some good sleep and eats. Oh yeah, speaking of eats, they have a place called Krystals in Tennessee that served me a bowl of grits with a sausage patty, eggs, jalapenos, onions, and cheese all mixed in that was pretty freaking good.

Here are some dogs that looked like they were posing to me. They were on the side of the road and just sitting there in front of a nice house. Yeah, I am a dog guy. My avatar is my dog Gustavo as a puppy with crazy eye.
Beautiful dogs - we have a boxer..great dogs.

What type of dog is your avatar ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote