ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen
 
firerigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 810
Broken centerstand blues..

So I was trying to put the trusty Sixdays up on the centerstand tonight, when I heard a "pah-ting!" On inspection, I discovered that the left threaded stud on the centerstand had broken off. This is not good. Anybody have a spare centerstand they'd be willing to sell? Or suggestions on a repair plan? Thanks.
__________________
"The eyes are the groin of the head.."
"I never fail...sometimes I succeed in finding out what doesn't work."

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Save yourself (and me!) money at SmugMug: Coupon code YE2eMDKcBDhGY
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by firerigger
So I was trying to put the trusty Sixdays up on the centerstand tonight, when I heard a "pah-ting!" On inspection, I discovered that the left threaded stud on the centerstand had broken off. This is not good. Anybody have a spare centerstand they'd be willing to sell? Or suggestions on a repair plan? Thanks.
Drill it out, put in a shoulder bolt.



Ta Da.
C
__________________
So... how's tricks?

creeper screwed with this post 09-13-2006 at 10:15 PM Reason: Added a pic...
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
firerigger OP
Trauma waiting to happen
 
firerigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Drill it out, put in a shoulder bolt.



Ta Da.
C
Yeah, I've been looking at it and that would probably work. I just have to find the right bolt.... That could take some doing.
__________________
"The eyes are the groin of the head.."
"I never fail...sometimes I succeed in finding out what doesn't work."

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Save yourself (and me!) money at SmugMug: Coupon code YE2eMDKcBDhGY
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,177
Go to Canada.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
boxermoose
Now fully goosed
 
boxermoose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Gulf Coast TX
Oddometer: 2,841
Lowes stocks some shoulder bolts.

Mine broke this summer and with some carefull hand drilling thru the old studs (leaving the old stud bosses intact to act like a bushing) I replaced with good old grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts.

OK so far - I'd have used the shoulder bolts if i knew they were easy to get outside of an industrial supply house here in the US to save time and trouble
__________________
Sometimes you get the ABAT....and sometimes the ABAT gets you
boxermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
bigtaters
Strommer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 48
I drilled mine out and replaced it with a grade 8 bolt. It's held for a few months now with no problems, even loaded down during a recent trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm going to have to look around for a shoulder bolt - that looks like a better way to go.
bigtaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer
 
fire_strom's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Durango, CO
Oddometer: 1,258
kroegers has a surprisingly good bolt selection.
scott
__________________
Officially motor free
9 cycles with pedals

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Riversage
Adventurer
 
Riversage's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Burque
Oddometer: 12
shoulder bolt

Unfortunately I find myself with this problem now too. Anyone know what size of shoulder bolt is needed?
__________________
Man, will you just please kindly dig it?
Riversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,459
make sure the frame hole is not ovaled out and measure it
__________________
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,730
mine broke on a ride in 2005... a ride with creeper mr. shoulder bolt himself actually... i popped in a little m8 bolt i had in my tool kit and it worked fine. so fine i forgot about it. it still resides in the stand years (and two owners) later.
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,709
Shoulder-bolt central:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-bolts/=3opix1

I hear there may be some issues getting stuff from them into canada, though.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave
Shoulder-bolt central:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-bolts/=3opix1

I hear there may be some issues getting stuff from them into canada, though.

Dave


I can't even remember why I posted that bit above.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Johnny Bouncewell
Surly
 
Johnny Bouncewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Socorro, NM
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
make sure the frame hole is not ovaled out and measure it
Yo! I've got this problem and need to revive this thread dudes...


So I just bought a 97 620 RXC for peanuts and have been going through it finding all the things wrong with it. First thing I noticed was the centerstand not passing the swingarm. So...a bit of digging and I found the right pivot on the stand nearly half way worn through and the frame mount totally ovalized. To get by, I fabbed a little collar that wrapped around the worn pivot but I will need to do something more substantial before too long. Though I am a bit embarrassed to say so, I ground down a little bit of the foot to help with clearance...I really wanted to ride the beast!

Is it safe to drill out the ovalized frame mount and replace the pivot to a larger shouldered bolt? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow. Thanks to those who are wiser than I.
__________________
weasels are ripping my flesh
Johnny Bouncewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bouncewell
Yo! I've got this problem and need to revive this thread dudes...


So I just bought a 97 620 RXC for peanuts and have been going through it finding all the things wrong with it. First thing I noticed was the centerstand not passing the swingarm. So...a bit of digging and I found the right pivot on the stand nearly half way worn through and the frame mount totally ovalized. To get by, I fabbed a little collar that wrapped around the worn pivot but I will need to do something more substantial before too long. Though I am a bit embarrassed to say so, I ground down a little bit of the foot to help with clearance...I really wanted to ride the beast!

Is it safe to drill out the ovalized frame mount and replace the pivot to a larger shouldered bolt? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow. Thanks to those who are wiser than I.
Depends on how much metal is left around it.

You could have the hole welded and re-drill it.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,458
Without being familiar with the model and how much of a tab is present? It may be possible to enlarge the hole enough to place the appropriate size nut in place and weld it to the tab. Now if you do not have access to a welder, it may not be such a good idea.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014