ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Bayou Boy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
South Louisiana to D.C. area Ironbutt help

I have to be in Hershey the middle of next week for a work thing so being that I'm riding up there, I've decide to work an SS1000 into the mix. Saturday I'm planning on leaving Houma around 3:00am and heading up to somewhere between Charlottesville, VA and D.C. for the finish.

The route looks to be I-59 to Meridian then Birmingham and Chatanooga, then I-75 and I-81 up to I-64, then Charlottesville to D.C.

Any tips on this or a better route? Road construction that I should be worried about.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
kleks
Lost at the end of time

Oddometer: 76
I-81 in VA is a cop magnet. On top of it, radar detectors are illegal in VA. Plan accordingly. If you are way too fast, you may end up in jail....

If you are goin gto Hershey, you can either stick to I-81 all the way to PA, or take off onto Rt 340 for some relief from the slab. 340 goes through Fredricksburg; you will need to switch to Rt 15 north there. It is 4 lane almost all the way, with some part having 65mph speed limit.

To visit DC, take I-81 to I-66, and then you are stuck in DC traffic.... avoid unless you have to be there.

For fast salb to Hershey I-81 with attention to LEO looks like best choice. This will keep you out of DC area traffic. Once you cross Blue Ridge to the East side, you are affected by DC sprawl and traffic. great for entertainlemnt, not so great for fast commute.

Kleks
kleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Laugh La to DC SS1000

81 in VA is a cop magnet. On top of it, radar detectors are illegal in VA. Plan accordingly. If you are way too fast, you may end up in jail....

[Carl]: Yeah, but keep up with the truckers and you'll be fine.
In VA, I wouldn't run anything but a Valentine.

Alternatively, you could take I-77 north at Wytheville, VA to Charlleston, WV then I-79 to Morgantown, and I-68 east.
The speed limit in WV is 75.
It's longer but hey, you're trying to accumulate a quick 1000 miles.
Oh entering MD on I-68, chill until you're past Keysers Ridge. The State loves to collect "love offereings" from lead footed folks in those first few miles. Again, keep pace with the truckers and you'll be fine. I-68 is one of the prettiest Interstates.
Look at a map and you'll see plenty of alternatives to Hershey.

"To visit DC, take I-81 to I-66, and then you are stuck in DC traffic.... avoid unless you have to be there."

[Carl]: Amen. Even on week ends, I-66 witin 40 miles of DC is jammed.
Coming form the south to home, I'll stick to I-81 to Winchester, then Rt 7 to 340 and head home on 270. It's only about 20 miles longer, but prettier, and less hassle.

Carl in Bethesda
Carl.Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,980
To Harrisburg? Unless you want to sightsee in DC, just take I-81 all the way up to Harrisburg. And do watch out for the PoPo in Virginia, they are tough, and doing 20 over is Reckless Driving, and 90mph+ is automatic jail.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Bayou Boy OP
Beastly Adventurer

So now I'm thinking that I will just overnight in Winchester (worth it? anyplace else?) and then play around in the mountains.

I'm leaving Saturday so I'll have 3 days to play around before the meeting. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,271
I would avoid as much of I81 as you can north of Roanoke (see Steve and Shog's pics in the Cromag thread).

If it t'were me, I would bail off I81 at US220 and head east to US460, four lanes making time to Lynchburg, it will switch to 65mph all the way to US29N, which is four lanes and 65mph for the first part up to Amherst and then 60mph save to do at least 64 all the way to I64 East. I64 East for a couple miles to US250/Shadwell and then take US250 East to VA 231, to US15, VA 20 and then VA3 to I95.

Warning, if you have to go to DC make sure you don't hit I95N at rush hour. This will put you in a good position to take either 95/83/81 (sucks) or 270/15/581/81 to Hershey (better).

We live just south of the DC beltway near off I95 if you need any help.

Here is the post with the pictures of I81 north of Roanoke - Linky

PhilSpace screwed with this post 09-14-2006 at 01:43 PM
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Bayou Boy OP
Beastly Adventurer

So if I over night in Winchester, what's a good route up to Hershey? Twisties, maybe a little dirt doable on a Vstrom?

Also any good roads around Hershey area?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,980
Here try this PA state website of dirt roads

I'm not sure about around Winchester...
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
So if I over night in Winchester, what's a good route up to Hershey? Twisties, maybe a little dirt doable on a Vstrom?

Also any good roads around Hershey area?
Lots of good roads from Harpers Ferry through MD up into PA toward Gettysburg and then go east of 15 on the back roads around Harrisburg and into Hershey, lots of fun roads. You can also go out to WV and look between US 220 and WV9. You better have finished your SS1000 before doing this.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #10
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
I have to be in Hershey the middle of next week for a work thing so being that I'm riding up there, I'm planning on leaving Houma Any tips on this or a better route? Road construction that I should be worried about.
If you want to go to a real chocolate city,just go N on 90.

Have a good trip.
really,you have plenty of time,skip the SS1000 if it is going to rush you through secnic areas in the dark of night,or limit you to an interstate route.
I wish I knew more about the area you are visiting,my trip to boston ten years ago included visiting a friend in W Chester,other than that ,it was pretty much a dead head.
It took me nine years and a motorcycle purchase to get back to the smokies.
Now I would like to go about every year.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
How was the trip?
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote