User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
Pickled Amnesiac OP
ex Fishbulb....

Oddometer: 1,238
Question brakepad noise....

hey guys... i just put new front pads in my dr650... and theyre really loud and a bit squeaky. ive only done a couple of stops up and down the building so they wont have bedded in yet, but are they supposed to sound loud and metallic before they bed in?????

cheers

fish
Pickled Amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,153
There was a discussion a few weeks ago on this.

What you are hearing is the pads vibrating basically. Others posted different techniques but I have had the best luck with some spray stuff called "disc brake anti squeal" made by permatex. A can will last a loooong time, the problem is the stuff that comes in one-shot tubes doesn't work as well IMHO, so buy a can now and you're set for the next 10 years or however long it takes for the can to solidify up because I seriously doubt you will ever use it all up.

Basically, remove the pads and clean the caliper surface and the pad with brake clean, then I like to spray a not too thick coat on the back of the pad, just to where the surface starts to get all uniformly shiny, then leave set for 45 minutes or so. Then another light coat and assemble. Wear surgical gloves if you don't want red stains on your hands for a few days or however long it takes to wear off. Also, another shade-tree approach is to file/grind a 45 degree chamfer on the edge of the pad. This does not work all the time and in addition I prefer having a 90 degree edge to squeegee off water when riding in the rain, so don't do that.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote