Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

b-rod, taking that arrangement on and off would also lead to fatigue eventually eh? Bending the tabs back and forth. Plus the spring washer is supposed to transmit some amount of force onto the sprocket to help keep the CS sealed, while also giving the CS the ability to move laterally (I am guessing). I don't know why KTM switched, and if there were any other changes to go along with the change.
No need to fret, I am going to get a seal, O-ring and the tab washer, as the sprocket has been changed, and the tab washer had been reused. That's all I need is for a cheap part like that to give me grief. I have about 10K miles, should I actually consider ordering the sleeve?? #25, the Casquillo Espaciador. Missed my chance earlier today to get to a dealer to order up the parts. Muh plane broke down, and I didn't get any farther than starting only one of 2 engines.

Regarding the spring washer holding the sprocket to keep the junk sealed up nice and tight, it makes sense, but it just isn't listed in the parts. I'm going to agree with Sparrowhawk, in that it is just there to keep the bolt in place, but with what I have going on, there is a titch of lateral movement in the sprocket, but I'm assuming that it's normal. . . . or it's the cause of my small leak. I'll see. It'll be a few days for sure, and the leak is so minor, I'm not too concerned about it.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #32
hot101rod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Pissed Sprockets and RPM questions

Stock is 16/42 and this spring I changed to a 17/40 and it still has enough grunt for the easy trails and dirt roads I ride. But my question is it buzz's so much on the hiway that I don't feel comfortable running at anything over 60 for any length of time, 55 is just about right and very comfortable for me, that's about 5500 to 6000 rpm's. The only sprocket choice left is the 38t rear, has anyone used this combo and how was it on the road (17/38). I have another bike for tight trails and logs s it's mainly dirt roads and pavement on the way there! The more road worth LC4's must have different internal gearing?
hot101rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #33
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
Hot,
Did you change the chain protection piece, did you have to lengthen the chain?
thanks, bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #34
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot101rod
Stock is 16/42 and this spring I changed to a 17/40 and it still has enough grunt for the easy trails and dirt roads I ride. But my question is it buzz's so much on the hiway that I don't feel comfortable running at anything over 60 for any length of time, 55 is just about right and very comfortable for me, that's about 5500 to 6000 rpm's. The only sprocket choice left is the 38t rear, has anyone used this combo and how was it on the road (17/38). I have another bike for tight trails and logs s it's mainly dirt roads and pavement on the way there! The more road worth LC4's must have different internal gearing?
17:40 is a bunch taller than OE gearing. I run 16:42 at 70 all day long and 17:42 cruises at 75+ without breaking a sweat. You should be good-to-go on the tar at 17:40...

ps. the 2003 and later bikes have a slightly taller primary ratio...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #35
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Hot,
Did you change the chain protection piece, did you have to lengthen the chain?
thanks, bill
bill

When I put a 17 tooth CS on the old girl I did replace the chain protection piece with another. KTM had a specific part for the larger CS.

Having said that.....Bill: How's your travel Blog coming along?

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #36
micq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I have a 16/42 setup & about to try a 40 to drop the revs when on the road , can anyone give me an idea how much difference it will make ?
micq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #37
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by micq View Post
I have a 16/42 setup & about to try a 40 to drop the revs when on the road , can anyone give me an idea how much difference it will make ?
Instead of dropping two teeth on the rear, a lot of 640A owners keep the 42 on the back and switch back and forth between a 15 and 17 tooth on the front.

I use the 15/42 combo if I know I'm going to be doing 4 wheeler/jeep, slower gravel more technical riding with limited interstate speeds.

Normally I run the 17/42 combo. This is fine for hours on end on the interstate at 75 to 80 or higher indicated, or gravel/dirt roads.

Granted, running the taller 17T front, you won't be able to loft the front with the blip of the throttle, but it makes for a much more relaxed engine at speed. 70 indicated with the 17/42 combo makes for a very smooth, relaxed ride.

The cool thing about this combo is that you can flip the axle blocks 180 degrees depending on the front and the chain slack and axel alignment doesn't change. KTM thought about this very handy feature but not many owners are aware.

Dirty
Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
micq
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply mate , I thought about using the 17 tooth front sprocket but from what I understand I would have to grind some of the casing off to make it fit 0n the 06 SXC .
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Thanks for the reply mate , I thought about using the 17 tooth front sprocket but from what I understand I would have to grind some of the casing off to make it fit 0n the 06 SXC .
On the 640A's all you need to do is grind the inside radius of the counter sprocket chain guard less than 2mm. A quick 5 minutes on a bench grinder, instead of buying the Duke chain guard.

Dirty
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
micq
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks dirty , if it's only 2 mm to grind off I will give the 17 tooth a go .

micq
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #41
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
thanks dirty , if it's only 2 mm to grind off I will give the 17 tooth a go .

micq
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...shaft+sprocket

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #42
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,873
CS retaining bolt broke

Thought I'd dredge this thread up from the muck. Looking at my 400 LC4e, and I noticed my front sprocket retaining bolt and washer were missing. It didn't back out and fall off, it broke off. Luckily, some time ago, I had used a hole saw and cut an inspection hole over the sprocket in order to see it and check the bolt on occasion. This little mod just saved my arse big time. Check the pic in this thread to see what I mean.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165728

So, you LC4 owners that haven't done this yet, here's your reminder. Bolt and washer pn# 59033034044 are on order and we'll be back on the road without drama in no time.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote