Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,907
Happy Trails or KLR650.com Pannier Racks for KLR?

I need advice from those who may have used either or both systems.

Just got a new KLR and need luggage. Initially I'm planning to go the 20mm ammo box route but later may opt for aluminum boxes. I have found only two mount systems - Happy Trails ($239 for their "SU" heavy duty version or $199 for their "NW" lightweight), and KLR650.com's ($233).

The NW rack seems a little lightweight especially for the ammo cans, so I'm really only looking at the two more heavy duty ones.

The KLR650 mount price includes shipping but the HT would add $18 shipping for a total of $257 vs. $233 for the KLR650.com. So, do the HT models have features to make them worth the extra $24?

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,991
The HT racks are made in the USA... the other ones are HT copies from China, probably. I have the HT racks for mine and they are holding up well. Before you order from KLR650.com, be sure they have them in stock. Since the price is this close, I think I'd give my business to Tim at HT.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,943
Happytrails gets my vote. While I have had neither, the happy trails that I've seen are beefy and I know that atleast one of the guys that works there is a member on this site and was willing to talk to me one day on the phone about my DR.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
DRZmaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Go with the Happy trails panniers/Racks. Money well spent. From what Ive seen in my travels, they are the sturdiest system available, not pretty, but very stout.

Presently Im preparing a DRZ for an around the world trip next year. My choice for panniers is Happy Trails. Money is not a consideration; I want the best money can buy.

The Photo below is a shot taken on the Siberian Highway.

Mongolia

BTW, be sure to beef up your Sub frame, and get extra high tinsel strength bolts for the sub frame.
DRZmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
HPJeep
Owner of a pig iron bike

Oddometer: 142
After shopping around myself I got the HT SU rack and panniers. They are very well built. I was going to go with ammo cans too but they are so heavy versus the HT panniers which are very light. The quality is quite high too. Just be very patient when ordering from them because they took over a month just to paint the panniers even though they were already built and in stock. Took way too long in my book.
HPJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,943
I thought about the Happy Trails rack with pelican cases. I had a similiar setup on my weestrom and like it alot, especially considering I had less than $300 for the whole setup. I did find the pelicans on fleabay though.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:55 AM   #7
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
Happytrails gets my vote. While I have had neither, the happy trails that I've seen are beefy and I know that atleast one of the guys that works there is a member on this site and was willing to talk to me one day on the phone about my DR.
I agree. Happy Trails has treated me well. One of my racks developed a crack. I called them on the phone and two days later I had a new rack, no questions asked. Excellent customer service.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
GSBS OP
FunHog

Anyone had any experience with these?

http://packratadventuregear.com/

Price is certainly good, and the ammo cans are supposedly brand new, but not a lot of other info on the website. My two concerns are 1) whether the relocated blinkers (below the tail light on the pannier mount cross bar) will be vulnerable when the cases are removed and 2) just what is involved in mounting/dismounting from the racks. Looks sturdy though.

If anyone with first-hand experience with this system I'd apprecicate hearing your comments.

Thanks,
David
Old 09-19-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
Wesley
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I bought Happy Trails racks for my '00 KLR. Installed perfectly and once tightened felt like the frame was extended - couldn't have been happier.

Since then I've bought HT racks for a F650 Dakar, a Transalp, and most recently my DR650. Not a misaligned piece in the bunch or any need for tweeking (good thing too - they're stout!). Friendly and quick service. Highly recommended!
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
klrcarl
Poser

Oddometer: 42
Packrat racks

I've a PR rack on my KLR. I "relocated" my blinkers by removing the stalks & using hollow threaded lamp rod in the original holes. The rack is great, but Mark has no quick disconnect system at the moment, so you gotta bolt 'em(as I did) or come up with your own system. His rack also has only 4 mounts whereas the HT ones have 6. In N Mexico I lost a bolt due to vibration(yes, it was loctited & I lost it anyway). Thank God one of the mermite bolts fit!
I'm not sure I'd go with ammo cans--everyone says they would be too heavy. On the other hand, I have NEVER heard of someone getting & then returning them!
Email me w any more Q's about the rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
http://packratadventuregear.com/

Price is certainly good, and the ammo cans are supposedly brand new, but not a lot of other info on the website. My two concerns are 1) whether the relocated blinkers (below the tail light on the pannier mount cross bar) will be vulnerable when the cases are removed and 2) just what is involved in mounting/dismounting from the racks. Looks sturdy though.

If anyone with first-hand experience with this system I'd apprecicate hearing your comments.

Thanks,
David
Attached Images

klrcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #11
klrcarl
Poser

Oddometer: 42
PackRat racks are strong enough. I proved that a few times on the last trip thru Mexico.
Attached Images

klrcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
GSBS OP
FunHog

Project finished...

I ended up with the KLR650.com mounts and their rail-job luggage rack, as well as their box mounting hardware. Works great with the 30mm ammo boxes, which are 14x17x9 inches and have about 35L of displacement each.

After mounting the hardware, I painted the boxes with rattlecan Rustoleum hammertone black. The paint has a somewhat textured "look" which hides small imperfections in the surface and can be used without primer and sprayed over rust (according to the can). We'll see.

Long term I plan to get some of the stuff used in pickup bedliners - Herculiner? - for a more durable finish.

I weighed the ammo cans and with lids they are 18 pounds each. The Happy Trails are almost exact half that. So, I'm paying a total penalty of 18 pounds for both boxes, but they cost only $20 per box. The HT or similar would've been $300 plus.

Here's some pix of the finished project:

Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,011
Those look great! I've got the HT version of that rack, with the same ammocans and like the setup a lot. Put lots of reflective tape on them though, or some idiot might clip them trying to pass you too close.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
Another '98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036981
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
nooner818
eX-nOOb

Oddometer: 131
Thumb Buy American!

Happy Trails. You won't regret it.

Avoid the chinese knockoffs!
nooner818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
mrfix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I have the HP NW rack with GIVI E-36 side cases and there're great, I have over 10, 000 miles on the and load the crap out of them without a problem. The rack fit perfectly and cases have held up well. I also have a happy trails set back rack and a GIVI E-45 top case that has done a really great job for me. Happt Trails makes a great product, they are worthy of your business.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote