User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
2007 CRF150R Expert?

Anyone gotten their hands on a CRF150R-Expert (big wheel) or know someone who has? This may be the trail bike I've been waiting for if it's tall enough.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Anyone gotten their hands on a CRF150R-Expert (big wheel) or know someone who has? This may be the trail bike I've been waiting for if it's tall enough.
Just spoke with my uncle down in cali; he said they are all the rage down there; the power of a 250; but with the weight of a mini (with it's chasis from the cr 85) and guys are taking em on the track and beating 450F's with em. He said they are about the same height as his 1st generation Honda Elsinore; which was not a huge bike, but they're a lot bigger and better handling then the mini's
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg
Just spoke with my uncle down in cali; he said they are all the rage down there; the power of a 250; but with the weight of a mini (with it's chasis from the cr 85) and guys are taking em on the track and beating 450F's with em. He said they are about the same height as his 1st generation Honda Elsinore; which was not a huge bike, but they're a lot bigger and better handling then the mini's
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
I'm just relating what my uncle told me; so I don't claim first hand experience but there's lots of other folks saying similiar things about it. It has incredible power to weight ratio and many guys swear they have quicker lap times on them then the bigger bikes

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...532331,00.html

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/08sep...06_crf150r.htm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=3688&Page=1
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Power of a 250 what? Certainly not a CRF250

My guess is that they will run basically like a shrunken CRF250 that is mostly top-end power, short stroke, huge bore and slipper piston. Its anybodies guess as to how much maintance it will take, but its going to be substaintial whatever the case. Still, it will be a cool little bike, though not obviously an advantage over something like a KX100.

have fun
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
That bike is honda's replacement for their 85cc 2 stroke. There is no way that it puts out power even close to a 125. If so hang on kids!!!! It won't be a trail bike either. It is an MX racer in everyway. I think it is a bummer. I would hate to be a moto dad and have to fork out the maintenace bills for that rocket, or grenade whichever it turns out to be. A piston in an 85 is really cheap and really easy to replace. It can be done in an evening. Valve adjustments, timing chains, pistons $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The sport will change without it's family oriented BMX style roots. It is BS the AMA is letting much larger displacement 4strokes in a class with small 2 strokes.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
I haven't purchased one, yet.

Nice package. With the CR85 frame and brakes, looks like a winner. The bike only comes with a red sticker. The max hp comes in the mid 12,000 rpm with the rev limiter set in the low 14,000 rpm range. MSRP at $4,200.

I have a 04 CR85 expert lined up for $1,500. I think its a better deal for me since it's the same chassis, powerband and they both have red stickers.

I"m not one to buy things just because they are "the rage". Some people here in So. Calif. have a flawed value system and buy things they don't need and can't afford, just to be cool or for bragging rights, STUPID!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
kittycactus OP
Banned

Well you guys can poo poo on the CRF150RB all you want, but I'm paying attention to what happens with it. I've lost that loving feeling for my DRZ250 in terms of riding it in the woods. It's just too heavy for me. I rode a friend's CRF150F last weekend and had a ball, plus I could cook through the woods. I'm in the market for something smaller and no, I don't want a two stroke. I'm not happy.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Realize that the current CRF150 is a froofy 1980's tech trail bike (and a great one at that), the new one is a dedicated MX race bike. Same name, totally different purpose/design.

I suspect that the bike will be very competitve in racing. $4300 for a 85cc class bike is really expensive which may put some folks off, then the maintance is probably going to be pretty extream as well. For recreational riding I strongly recomend looking at the two stroke supermini's, especially the KX100 and RM85 (big wheel version). Both have very frindly, reliable engines, are light, have great chassies and can be aquired very inexpensively.

My wife currently trail rides a KX100 and loves it. We started out looking at the little trail thumpers (CRF150, TTR etc) and she wasn't crazy about them. They were all harder to start (well except the e-start ttr which had just come out at the time and was a bit pricy), much heavier and had lousy chassies/brakes compared to the little KX. For the typical recreational rider I just don't see where the new CRF has an advantage over the current two strokes.

have fun
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
kittycactus OP
Banned

Thanks for the info BikePilot, but I'm going to hold firm on getting another four stroke, they suit me better than a two stroke. I've got all winter to figure it out.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,227

about 40-50 of us in a few clubs out here,mostly contractor types with more dollars than sense, have come down with the minibike sickness and the new 150 looks awesome,i'm told there will be 7 or 8 of them at the club craziness tomorrow night and the guys are raving about them.
be prepared for stiff mx suspension compared to the rest of the 125/150 4-strokes and the power is very impressive compared to the previous 150.

the guy on the right has a cheater 190 kit and his suspension can't handle it,the new 150 looks like the ticket if you want a serious 4 stroke minibike.
just be prepared for the maintenance that goes with the new generation of 4 strokes.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
This may be the trail bike I've been waiting for if it's tall enough.
As others have said, the CRF150f is an MX bike, and likely won't be very good on trails without at least some modification. Even then, expect a high maintenance machine. If the CR85 expert chassis is to your liking, you might consider a conversion.... I built this for my wife, but I have a blast riding it too. When the going is tight, I'm faster on this than on my 'berg.

If you're interested, you can click the link below for more images and some explanation of the conversion.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Good video I just saw posted over on TT.
Young deaf girl ripping it up. She is a fast one.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...537416,00.html
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
Evil 1
Heathen

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
As others have said, the CRF150f is an MX bike.
CRF150R, race bike. CRF150F beginer bike.
CRF150R, mini CRF450R uni-cam water cooled 4 valve engine, making low 20's in HP, with real susp.
CRF150F brazilian made air cooled 2 valve cheap as pile (still fun BTW) making 11 HP
a fully stroked and bored CRF150F (200cc) with cams and some tricky stuff you cant buy in a catalog will make just over 20 hp and still have dog shit 1984 suspension. Hence the popularity of using CR85 expert chassis, but what's the total cost invested? Certainly more that the price of a brand new 150R, which will roll of the assembly line bug free (relatively)

The new one fiddy will make a rockin' mini super moto bike, I sold my 150F just in time before this fine unit came out and put the value of my bike in the toilet. The writing was on the wall when my engine builder friend at BBR told me about the R model. I think the new 150R is awesome, too bad for the red sticker though, doubt we'll see a CRF150X

2008 KTM 990 Adventure S

[/B]
Evil 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #15
Evil 1
Heathen

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Good video I just saw posted over on TT.
Young deaf girl ripping it up. She is a fast one.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...537416,00.html
That's an awesome vid, thanks for the link.

2008 KTM 990 Adventure S

[/B]
Evil 1 is offline   Reply With Quote