User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,555
Anyone own a KTM 625 SMC?

Looking for owner impressions of KTM's Super Moto street single.

The GS is a nice touring bike, but I'm hankering for a little more visceral moto-stimulation. Startinmg to get that gnawing itch I'm all too familiar with....
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,373
No, But I was looking at one just the other day.

The LC4 motor is a lot like the F650. It likes RPM. More smooth than snappy.

If you really want something that will rock your world. Try the 525 smc.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Willis
Don't want a pickle...

Oddometer: 618
I own one I will give a good write up when I get home from college class today
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,015
I'd be really interested in hearing about this bike as well. It is on my short list for my next bike (I NEED a third dualsport ) and there is no info. on this bike on the KTM website. I haven't dared to set foot in the dealer as I know what I'm capable of doing.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
I owned a 625 and all I can say is that I miss it very very much
Check out www.supermotojunkie.com you can find any possible information you will need to know about that bike. For some reason the site is not working right now which is a surprise since I have never seen this in the 2 years I have been a member. If you have any specific questions please let me know.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
The 625 is a GREAT bike! I just sold the bike below to buy a 950.

I disagree with Hair's comments. First of all, the LC4 should NEVER be described as "smooth"! It vibrates like a paint shaker. And, mine was QUITE snappy with a nice jet kit and the Akra full titanium system. It had the absolute quickest (think telepathic) throttle response of any bike I've ever ridden. Also, while the LC4 is perfectly happy revving out to it's 8,600 rpm limit, it makes the best power down low and early in the mid range. If you snapped the throttle full open at 2mph on my bike, it would instantly throw you on your back. What great fun!

Also, while I haven't ridden a 525, I did ride a 450smr and I actually liked my 625 WAY more. The 450 was nice, but it was definitely slower and required more revs than the 625 to get going. Not to mention the maintenance the RFS's require.

All-in-all, it was the best and most fun bike I've ever owned, even beating out my current 950 Adventure. But, in the long run, the 950 is better for what I want to do - long rides, touring, camping, and commuting on the highway. But around town, you just can't beat the SMC.

Oh, and I had 15,000 miles on mine in less than two years, and she was just coming to her prime. They are fantastic bikes and will last forever if you take care of them. Here's a pic of my baby. I really miss it .

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,373
So what did I miss here.
The 450 has about the same hp as the 625. And over 100 lbs lighter. So the LC4 is faster?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
So what did I miss here.
The 450 has about the same hp as the 625. And over 100 lbs lighter. So the LC4 is faster?
Is this street legal?

Probably with mods, but as backdrifter pointed out, peak HP does not necessarily trump the shape of an engine's HP curve. An extreme example: put a nitro funny car engine in a Formula 1 chassis and you would likely be in last place before your engine blew - on the first lap. Or you would simply shred your tires and/or clutch at the starting line... Just some sillyness for effect - I don't consider the RFS that high strung.

Plus the RFS is significantly higher maintenance than the LC4. It is a RACING Four-Stroke; if you were to tune the LC4 the way KTM has tuned the RFS you would be looking at ~80HP just like their LC4 supermoto factory bikes.

Sort of a bookmark for LC4 SM stuff in the index; probably should just direct folks HERE or to KTMTalk for more SM info.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,261
Haven't ridden the 625SMC, but I have had a good go on the similar 640SM & it was a blast, great fun on a twisty road & an excellent commuter/hooligan machine around town. The 625 SMC is lighter & has the better carb but you give up some comfort & range. The 525SMR is much more of a race bike.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Haven't ridden the 625SMC, but I have had a good go on the similar 640SM & it was a blast, great fun on a twisty road & an excellent commuter/hooligan machine around town. The 625 SMC is lighter & has the better carb but you give up some comfort & range. The 525SMR is much more of a race bike.

Cheers
Clint
The 640 is the same engine possibly different Carbureator I know that's the case with the Duke, the Duke has the 625cc LC4 but a smaller carb than the SMC. The power of the LC4 is awesome for single cylinder. Get one you'll love it.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
The 640 is the same engine possibly different Carbureator I know that's the case with the Duke, the Duke has the 625cc LC4 but a smaller carb than the SMC. The power of the LC4 is awesome for single cylinder. Get one you'll love it.
That's right, it's exactly the same motor, the 640 has a BST40 CV carb, the 625's have the FCR41 flatslide.

If you can wait a bit the all new 690 Supermoto is about to be released in Europe, not sure when the rest of the world will see it though. It looks a bit, er, 'different' though.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
SKWERL
Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Looking for owner impressions of KTM's Super Moto street single.

The GS is a nice touring bike, but I'm hankering for a little more visceral moto-stimulation. Startinmg to get that gnawing itch I'm all too familiar with....
I have an '05 (dual exhaust) that has been derestricted, rejetted (JD Jetting) and has a full Remus Ti exhaust system. It is a real hoot to ride. I'm not an aggressive rider by any means, although I've managed to work the edges on the tires fairly well. One of the exhaust brackets on the rear subframe fractured at the last track day and I'm working with a machine shop to get small Aluminum standoffs machined to replace it. Turnsignals are not working (not that I really care), probably because of vibration as well. Biggest downside is short range which limits its ability to go on some of the mountain trips I would like to do. There is a tank and seat replacement described on KTMTalk that should address that. I showed the info to the local dealer and he went out and kitted a bike with that setup--it looked better than I had expected. Once I get the bike fixed, that will probably be the next mod, with the smaller tank remaining for track day.

There was some talk about base gasket leaks on the '05s and I've been keeping an eye on mine.

bryan
2000 BMW R1150GS
IBA# 5818
SKWERL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
I currently own one.

As I've stated many a time here, I am a believer in the LC4 platform. VERY reliable, strong power, high end components, easy to maintain.....

My LC4e (enduro) has 32,000 miles and my 04 625 SMC has almost 11,000 miles. The only common bike that's close or better in some aspects, is the Berg and Husky models.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
So what did I miss here.
First of all, your specs are less than accurate.

My 625 weighed 317 lb full of fuel and ready to ride (actual measured weight, with a lot of stuff removed. It was about 334 lb stock). A 450/525 weighs somewhere around 250 to 260 fully gassed up. Yes, there's a big weight difference, but NOT 100 lb. Secondly, the 625 makes a fair bit more power than a 450. I typically see 450's dynoing around 47 to 48 hp, while the 625 typically dynoes somewhere around the mid 50's.

On a tight kart track, obviously the 450smr would stomp the 625. But in a drag race, or on a more open course, my 625 would've eaten the 450 alive.

However, I imagine the 525 and the new 560smr would be another story...

The powerband of the 625 is perfect for the street. Like I said, you have instant power from 500 rpm up. It has more punch down low/mid-low, but it still moves in the upper ranges. Cruising at 80 is cake, and you still have enough umph to gun it and easily get around slow vehicles. It's MUCH better for the street than the RFS bikes.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
GunshipDriver
Adventure in Iraq '07!

Oddometer: 464
I have one! Fun ride... Small tank though...