Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Airhead OP
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
Lateral play: LC4 Countershaft. How much is too much?

OK...in attempting to track down a possibly real, possibly imaginary noise on my 2000 LC4E, I noticed that the countershaft has a bit of lateral play in it. The sprocket bolt is tight, and the sprocket is tight against the shaft...but if I grab the sprocket I can move the entire shaft in and out a small amount. Hard to tell exaclty how much, but enough that I can notice it. The shaft seal is not leaking...

So, the question is, is this a problem? The bike has approximately 10,000 miles on it, much of that off-road. I've never really checked for play in the countershaft before, so I have no idea how long it's been like this, or if it is getting worse. And, if this is a problem, what's the fix?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead
OK...in attempting to track down a possibly real, possibly imaginary noise on my 2000 LC4E, I noticed that the countershaft has a bit of lateral play in it. The sprocket bolt is tight, and the sprocket is tight against the shaft...but if I grab the sprocket I can move the entire shaft in and out a small amount. Hard to tell exaclty how much, but enough that I can notice it. The shaft seal is not leaking...

So, the question is, is this a problem? The bike has approximately 10,000 miles on it, much of that off-road. I've never really checked for play in the countershaft before, so I have no idea how long it's been like this, or if it is getting worse. And, if this is a problem, what's the fix?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
KTM lists the axial or end play of both transmission shafts as .004" (0.10mm) to .016" (0.40mm).
I've found it to be typically towards the high end of the range.

It tends to seems substantial just moving it by hand, but if you put an dial indicator on it or use a caliper, it's usually in spec.

C
Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Airhead OP
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
KTM lists the axial or end play of both transmission shafts as .004" (0.10mm) to .016" (0.40mm).
I've found it to be typically towards the high end of the range.

It tends to seems substantial just moving it by hand, but if you put an dial indicator on it or use a caliper, it's usually in spec.

C
Thanks Creeper...I went out and measured it as best I could with calipers (not particularly accurate, since I have no way to clamp the calipers in place on the sprocket)...and I was surprised that what felt like a lot of play was really only somewhere around .5mm.

All this was precipitated by the fact that I seem to be getting a new noise from the bike...hard to tell, though, with that engine and an Alu skid plate... I actually think that the noise is chain backlash...the chain is on the loser side of in-spec. I'm going to try to tighten up the chain a bit and see if the noise goes away...

Thanks again for your help!

Jeff
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Thanks Creeper...I went out and measured it as best I could with calipers (not particularly accurate, since I have no way to clamp the calipers in place on the sprocket)...and I was surprised that what felt like a lot of play was really only somewhere around .5mm.

All this was precipitated by the fact that I seem to be getting a new noise from the bike...hard to tell, though, with that engine and an Alu skid plate... I actually think that the noise is chain backlash...the chain is on the loser side of in-spec. I'm going to try to tighten up the chain a bit and see if the noise goes away...

Thanks again for your help!

Jeff
You know your LC4 engine is running fine by the about-to-explode noises it makes. If it ever gets really quiet.... run!

Gearing changes can be good for some noise too. I run 15/40 and with the standard adjustment my chain rubs against the front inner chain guard screw. Klickity clack, klickity clack.
If I went back to stock (or at least larger diameter) gearing it would go away.

You could try lining your aluminum skid plate with some closed cell foam... might "absorb" some of the racket the plate radiates and seems to amplify.... that or take the damn thing off.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Airhead OP
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
You could try lining your aluminum skid plate with some closed cell foam... might "absorb" some of the racket the plate radiates and seems to amplify.... that or take the damn thing off.
No way...that racket gives me an advantage...no one wants to ride too close to me because it always sounds like my bike might fly apart at any moment...
Old 09-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
No way...that racket gives me an advantage...no one wants to ride too close to me because it always sounds like my bike might fly apart at any moment...
That's called the "LC4 Advantage". The only people not scared of you are riding 1954 Panheads with loose pushrods and an open belt drive.