User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
boney OP
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,399
Oregon Backroads Discovery Trail. No's 3,4 and parts of 5

We offcially start our trip in Ashland, OR at Geoff's place. We had ridden up the day before and done some of the last minute prep. The goal: Trail 3, 4, and sections 3 & 4 of Trail 5 of the Oregon Backroads Discovery Trail. http://www.oohva.org

The ride is the brainchild of my friend Geoff, who wants to ride south to north in Oregon, as much on dirt as possible. Luckily, such a route exists.

Oops. I was trying to move it around in the divoted grass.

Route 3 winds it's way through the Cascades from CA to Sisters, OR. Since we have a limited time span and an ambitious schedule, we took the liberty of cutting off some of it. But first, we get our stickers from GI Joes:

Motorcycle travel (as well as ATV's and 4x4's) are required to get a tag. Word is that the forest service has been cracking down on non-compliant vehicles. Get out those stock pipes folks, and slap on them turn signals.

So we roll out 140 toward Fish Lake with plans to cut north where the trail crosses it. We find it and promplty get lost. After a while we started getting good at the navigation thing. It just takes a bit to get the hang of it.
Wherethefugarewe?

After a few stops to figure out the navigation thing, combined with the GPS waypoints I had pre-programmed, we came up with a plan. The poor-mans roll chart:

The list of roads worked great since the published OHV maps didn't match the NFS maps, which were different than the GPS maps (if the roads were even in it). AND, that's even if the road had a sign. We worked it out though, and started to make some time.

Yours truely, with a dirt goatee.

Some KLR action:

We left the dirt to go get some gas, to find that there wasn't any in the town that the map set had listed as having some (Union Creek). we ended up back-tracking a few miles down the road to get some in Prospect, and then back up to the trail. Mental note; get gas whenever possible.
What is my problem anyway? A fitting end to the day:

Camped by the Rouge River at Hamaker Campground:

Totals so far:
169 Miles.
More to follow...

boney screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 01:49 PM
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
robodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Oregon trails

I really like this trail, keep up the good work. please add details about routing.

Drive fast and take chances.
robodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
looks like it wants to take a nap...

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Great! Keep it comin' and I hope your second day the bike is more cooperative!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
commo_soulja
Supa Thumpa Pilot

Oddometer: 375
commo_soulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
boney OP
Ride > Post

Day 2 begins by backtracking across the footbridge we used to access the Hamaker Campground. Last evening we had looked for the road to the campground, but only had a GPS waypoint (on the other side of the river) and no knowledge of a road. We stopped in a nice meadow intending to camp, then found the bridge...

A little early morning Rogue River:

The trail wanders north along Bear Creek to the east of Crater Lake National Park along a few ridges and meadows and has some pretty stunning views.

Panorama big view: http://www.beachbus.net/storage/ODT/odt13.jpg

We found Windingo Pass Road to be of better quality than the local highways. It was good for a 70 MPH run. The other side of the pass is bow-hunters paradise, so slow down when the season is open, everyone and their family is up there.

Past some lava formations:

We ended up off the official trail again when all the mapping devices we had stopped agreeing with the roads. We found two dead-ends, and eventually just kept riding until everything started to match again. It wasn't far, but it consumed a good amount of time.
Wikiup Resivoir, where the roads are wide and fast:

Back into the woods:

Wanoga Butte Lookout Tower:

The further north we went the colder it became. At some point we talked to some hunters who told us that the forcast was SNOW about 5000 ft. I looked in the GPS at all the campsites we'd been considering and they were all around 5500 ft. My sleeping bag was rated for 45 degrees- forgetaboutit- we're headed for town.

Interesting things were happening today... At ABS shutoff button was acting up. It worked sometimes but not others, and several times I couldn't turn it off. It was a bit of a pain, and something that I'd investigate later.

We picked a hotel in Bend near downtown, checked in, hit the showers, and went out for dinner and a beer.

Totals: 150 miles today, 319 so far...

boney screwed with this post 09-22-2006 at 12:47 PM
Old 09-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
boney OP
Ride > Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodave
I really like this trail, keep up the good work. please add details about routing.

Drive fast and take chances.
I've got the tracks, waypoints, and some routes that I'll post after I have a chance to clean some of it up.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney
A little early morning Rouge River:

*Thats Rogue River! Great report. Can't wait for the rest!
"It's 2:00am; I have run out of gas, been attacked by a wild animal, played the running of the bulls on a major roadway and repaired an equipment malfunction. I have traveled a total of 22.5 miles in 3 hours and I can still see the New York skyline. This is going to be a very long ride." - Rogue 1

'04 KLR650
'04 BMW R1150R
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
boney OP
Ride > Post

Quote:
*Thats Rogue River!
Thanks! Fixed it! Trying to catch all my typos, but I'm not succeeding.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
boney OP
Ride > Post

Day 3.
Sure enough it rained last night, and it looks like it snowed up in the hills.

As the rain was slowing down, I found the reason my ABS switch stopped working.

So I fixed it the way any self-respecting adventurer would. I pulled the other wire off the back of the switch, stripped them, and pinched the wires together for the rest of the trip.
The weather cleared some more, so we put on all our gear and went to finish the northern most section of trail #3. The rain had dampened things just enough to kill the dust but not make the roads too slippery for the Gripsters on the KLR.

The higher we went, the colder it became.

Vanity shot:

The riding was fast and fun through the forest. I was running a TKC80 front and a Karoo rear. It was pavement like traction through the dirt, mud and snow. It was clearly the best day of off-road riding I've ever had. That is, until we came across the Forest Service "gravel" roads. They're really shale, and it's deep and unnerving. Ugh. Take a look at the bottom of this pic.

The Sisters came out to play:

Panorama biggie: http://www.beachbus.net/storage/ODT/odt231.jpg

We followed the route along the base of the Sisters for a while then just when the end was near:

Fire Closures. Less than 5 miles from the end of the ride... We toyed with the idea of folding up all the gear nice-like and putting it in a little "official" looking pile alongside the road... But neither of us have the balls for that- and getting busted could have reprocussions at work...

We skirted along the edge of the closure, and eventually wound up on the highway back to town.

Totals: 101 miles today. 420 Total.

Stay tuned for the arrival of Searge...
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Sweet report Boney...

baconsandwich at benddualsport.com

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
boney OP
Ride > Post

This is Searge:

Some of you Bend locals might recognize the location.

This is Searge's new (to him) bike:

Some of you Bay Area residents might recognize it. He just bought it on the Penninsula, and it came complete with an ADV sticker. It's clean (for now) and heavily accessorized. Needless to say, Searge is a happy camper and spent little time deciding that he needed to come up for a day or two of adventure. He's had it less than a month, and I think he's already put 3,000 miles on it...

Aside from getting a flat (blowing out a plug?) and realizing that the tire looks like it had been previously plugged, I think he's pleased.

Keep in mind that Searge is back into riding after a number of years off the bike. As a previous lumberjack, and a history of flat-track racing (yes I'm gong to ask if he has old pictures) and other off-road interests, not to mention that he's just a BIG guy, the Adventure might not be such a big bike after all. Time will tell...
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
boney OP
Ride > Post

Day 4:

We start late at the Bend Coffee Company (or something like that). Nice place for scones, pannini and coffee.

Off to Route 4. Sisters to Seneca.

Big guy, big bike. Little guy, little bike.

Initially I was worried about Searge's riding skillz. He was an "unknown" coming into the middle of a somewhat tightly scheduled ride. His comments were not terribly reinforcing either, being sure to add in that "it's been a long time" and "we'll have to see" element.

Sandbagging is apparently one of Searge's other talents.

We followed the trail through The Cove Palisades State Park...

...and on over to Prineville. Where we ate, gassed up, stopped at the Wildland Firefighters Memorial, and replugged Searge's rear tire- something he would do again tomorrow on his way home.

The late start didn't allow much picture taking in the afternoon. It was getting late and we kept the pace up across "Skyline Road". As the sun went down we found ourselves in Scotts Camp. There was no water, but lukily we had a gallon to split.

Today 149 miles. Total milage: 569
Old 09-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Excellent report and pics! Thanks for posting
GB is offline   Reply With Quote