Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Ignore Amos OP
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Aftermarket bars on 640A

Yes I checked the threads...

I just ran my 640A at the NRE and confirmed that my current stock bars are too low (even with Loaded's underbar Stabalizer/Riser combo) and too far back... I'm 6'2" and I went to the factory 525 (Renthal pro taper) bars on my 950 and they worked perfect allowing me to get up and over the front of the bike..but I need more hieght and less pullback on the 640- so I'm looking at the Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bars with 4.75 hiegth, 2.17 pullback...

anybody used these? thoughts and ideas?

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
Yes I checked the threads...

I just ran my 640A at the NRE and confirmed that my current stock bars are too low (even with Loaded's underbar Stabalizer/Riser combo) and too far back... I'm 6'2" and I went to the factory 525 (Renthal pro taper) bars on my 950 and they worked perfect allowing me to get up and over the front of the bike..but I need more hieght and less pullback on the 640- so I'm looking at the Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bars with 4.75 hiegth, 2.17 pullback...

Hi Amos,

I ran the Pastrana's on my dirt bike and really liked them, as I recall they were a noticeable improvement over the stock bars. One thing to take a look at is ATV bars. I was running a riser with stock bars on my F650GSD and they were still not high enough. When shopping for new bars I noticed the ATV bars were much taller than the dirt bike bars with about the same layout. I added a set of Pro Taper ATV bars of the "Mid" size and they worked perfectly. The F650 is now my most comfortable bike to ride standing up.

Let me know how this turns out as I need to do the same thing you are doing to my 640A as well.

Nice meeting you at the NRE, and thanks for entertaining us on Sunday and Monday.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
I'm using the Pastrana FMX on my 640 Adv, with Emig underbar damper mounts as risers because they have some forward offset. Along with the Fastways pegs moving my feet down a little, my standing position is much improved, but it could still be better. I'm 6'4" with arms that are a little short for my height, so I don't know if it's possible to make the bike fit me perfectly. I feel like I need to move the pegs rearward about 2", but I haven't figured out how to do it.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Ignore Amos OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Hi Amos,

Let me know how this turns out as I need to do the same thing you are doing to my 640A as well.

Nice meeting you at the NRE, and thanks for entertaining us on Sunday and Monday.

Jim in Sacramento
I've ordered two (1 for my ATK- same problem) so I'll post my results-

It was good to meet you too and glad I could be of service in the entertaiment Dept. as I AIM TO PLEASE! More folks should want to ride w/ me....

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Old 09-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos

"Renthal pro taper" Who makes those exactly Amos?

Have you considered standing on the pegs in what you would consider a "normal standing riding position", extending your hands out to where you'd like them to be, and have someone measure that distance and position, relevant to the bars you have?
That's one of the best ways I know of to select a bar without buying 5 of them.

The Pastrana bar seems to be some sort of automatic favorite for tall people, and less tall people that think they need to stand straight up like they're at attention... I wonder how many people that have them have tried other bars as well?
So many references to the Pastrana bar, so few to anything else.

For example... if you look at the Pro Taper Contour chart, you can see that the Windham (RM Mid) bar has .85" less rise, 1mm less pull back and are 1" wider than the Pastrana.
Or the "KX High" which splits the difference in rise, has the same width... and more pullback than either. (ouch... that has to be nice on the wrists)

Then there are the Renthal Fatbars "RC high bend" which have a width of 31.5, a height of 4.7" (to almost equal the Pastranas) and a pullback the same as the Pro Taper Windham of 2.13".

If I was in the market for a real tall bar with the least amount of pullback, for a more neutral hand, I'd consider the Renthal RC high bend.

No endorsement of anything here... just commentary on the choices people make and why.
To each his own in their own way.

C
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Ignore Amos OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
"Renthal pro taper" Who makes those exactly Amos?
C
Ahhhh...I knew that....just testing to see who was paying attention..yeah that's it...just testing y'all. Guess I should've said "Renthal Fat Bar"

Good point about getting someone to measure me when I'm in the "position". I did stand on the bike and guesstimate..but having somebody actually measure would have been ideal- not too late, order will go out Monday so not too late to get real measurements. I'm pretty sure the Pastrana bar is the one but now I'll make sure- thanks for the heads'up

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X

Ignore Amos screwed with this post 09-22-2006 at 08:24 PM
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,485
So, with bar risers and taller bars, I assume some longer cables are going to be needed. Will the HYD clutch line need to be extended? The throttle cable?

Anyone with experience on this, please?

j
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
Bicks
Bicks

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds
So, with bar risers and taller bars, I assume some longer cables are going to be needed. Will the HYD clutch line need to be extended? The throttle cable?

j
I have installed a Scotts under bar damper which lifted the bars around 30mm. My throttle cables are now tight(ish) and before i try some taller bars i will need to get longer cables. My decomp cable does not reach at all but it's not really important so i have just left it.
Sorry, cant help with the hyd clutch as mine is cable (it still reaches fine)
Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
fasteddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds

j
No need for longer cables with Rally Risers, the best risers bar none imho. They fit all KTM's, 640's included!!

Check out the following thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=Rally+Risers

Ed...
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

I allready installed some of Loaded's bar risers - 20 000 km ago. They work great, no mods to the cables. I want more out of my bars - and here is where the problem is - I am leaving my bike in Colombia and don't want to have to track down parts here. I would like to get all the parts in Canada and add them without problem when I return.

Loaded, are you out there? Any advice from the expert?
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
I have used the Pastrana FMX bars on my SM and love them as I like the taller profile with the sligtly less pullback than otherbars. I also liked the 775 width on my SM, I was going to buy another set to replace the CR double High Tags on my 650 DS but happened to look a little lower on the Catalog page and found the ATV Bars. The ATV High bend is the same as the FMX but 800 wide like other bars so you can keep the leverage you need in the tight stuff. Its my new Fav! You can normally run higher bends without changing cables/hoses.

I like tallers bars to absorb vib/shock instead of risers, and as most mounts are angled rearward when you use risers you move the bars farther back and then you can have problems when you stand.

As for Cables call Motion Pro they have a 1 week turnaround if you need customs. I use Speigler for custom brake lines.

I use Fastway handguards and Damper mount as it bolts to the bar mounts and does not have a trndency to ben the bar at the triple clamp like handguards that bolt to the bars do. (I do spend alot of time crashing)
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
The ATV High bend is the same as the FMX but 800 wide like other bars so you can keep the leverage you need in the tight stuff. Its my new Fav! You can normally run higher bends without changing cables/hoses.

As for Cables call Motion Pro they have a 1 week turnaround if you need customs. I use Speigler for custom brake lines.

I use Fastway handguards and Damper mount as it bolts to the bar mounts and does not have a trndency to ben the bar at the triple clamp like handguards that bolt to the bars do. (I do spend alot of time crashing)

Excellent. This is the knowledge I was looking for. Thanks.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
woodworkernyc
dirty

Oddometer: 288
I'm going though exactly the same thing right now. Loaded's Damper mount is on the way and I'm trying to figure out bars by the time it gets here.

Amos, I'm 6'2 as well (kind of long arms) When I spoke to Colin he seemed to think even 2" more than stock was getting pretty high. (I'm assuming with stock bars.) Pastrana's + 1.25" damper mount = 6". That seems like pretty close to what I was figuring. (below)

Stobie, What's the gain for stock of the Emig setup? Is the total gain with Pastrana's also 6"?

Quote:
Creeper: Have you considered standing on the pegs in what you would consider a "normal standing riding position", extending your hands out to where you'd like them to be, and have someone measure that distance and position, relevant to the bars you have
Creeper's a man of logic to be sure. Was planning on doing exactly that. When I finally got around to it, I realized my forks were in PA. doah

btw - be nice if Pro Taper had a "Height" measurement like Renthal. How do you arrive at overall height numbers for Pro Taper?

My bike came with the 7/8 version of the Renthal "Honda High" [3.87" Height] It seemed like they wanted to be about 2-2.5" higher and a bit back. (I didn't play with rotating them) Considering 1.25" for loaded's mount, another .75 added to 3.87" is 4.62" - pretty close to the Pastrana's. Probably going with the Renthal Twinwall though. Also taked to Gary Emig about using his bar mounts with Loaded's mount - they have an offset that could prove useful in getting the bars dialed in - that conversation was, ah, inconclusive... Seems the recess where the Scotts mounting holes are should provide a little space should the Emig hang over the riser post (.95" dia). If not, dremel or if still not.... Flea Market...

Last: With 6" overall rise, I should be on the phone tomorrow ordering cables, right?
woodworkernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #14
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkernyc

Stobie, What's the gain for stock of the Emig setup? Is the total gain with Pastrana's also 6"?
I think the Emig underbar mount raises the bar mount position 1-1/4", so add the additional height from the Pastranas to that. I don't think it's anywhere near an actual 6". I don't remember all the details, but I think my total increase in standing room, including the drop from the Fastways, was about 4". This was figured by measuring from the bar ends to the ground with the bike on the centerstand and the forks fully extended. Comparing rise numbers between different bar bends and brands isn't very meaningful, in my experience.

The advantage of the Emig mounts is the forward offset, which results in the bar mount position moving almost straight up, instead of up and back.

I didn't have buy any longer cables. I re-routed the manual decompressor cable, and the clutch cable was a little tight, but that was resolved when I installed a Magura Jack kit.

One thing to note is that the Pastrana FMX bars are narrower than most, including the stockers (by 1-1/2", IIRC), which saves you some cable.

If you are 6'2" with longish arms (I'm 6'4" with shortish arms), you would be pretty comfortable on my bike.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
woodworkernyc
dirty

Oddometer: 288
Yes, That did get a little convoluted on my part - it got late.

6" rise I was referring to is Actually 6" minus the stock bar height. ie: +1.25" Damper mount, +4.75" Pastrana's, - ?? Stock Bar = Overall Rise from Stock.

Since my bike had the Honda High's at 3.74", I working off that. Next window after this will be to order Renthal RC High, and we'll see what happens. Btw - I for me 30.5" wide is plenty. Wider is good for leverage, of course, but also less comfortable sitting for longer periods - always a tradeoff.

Seems maybe I'll only have to get a longer clutch cable as my old-school clutch is going to stay for now.

Thanks
woodworkernyc is offline   Reply With Quote