User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,620
I have lust in my heart...... I may need some help here

OK, I can admit this openly.... I cannot shake the desire to own an R80G/S. It nags at me constantly.....

I have a really hard time finding any (unacceptable) faults with my 1993 R100GS... and having tried to move away from BMW's and specifically airheads, I have always come back to the fold.

So here is what I need to know from any of you who have owned both an R80G/S and an R100GS, and yes, I have read the specs and compairisons... what is the true cost/benefit to the R80G/S? How does it compare to the '100 both on and off road?

I think I have been averaging about 50% dirt on my '100, with an annual trip of 500-1000 miles, some of that slab.

What are the short answers about what you get and what you give up with the R80? and do you gain back much by taking and R80 up to 1,000cc's

Your answer may help (and I need help, ask anyone )!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,534
Well I doubt if this is a decision that can be made on a cost/benefit basis. It's just not a rational sort of thing, it's a motorcycle and you like what you like. I have a g/s and it's my favorite bike of all time. Mostly because it just does everything. I've never owned a gs, though have 3-4 buddies with them and have ridden then quite a bit. What I like about the g/s is the weight difference, the smoother r80 engine and the simplicity of the mono lever. I don't think these bikes ever get or should be ridden fast enough off road for the suspension of the r100 to make a big difference. I ride with guys who have klr's, dr's etc. For the type of gravel, dirt, easy single track etc. we do, they don't have much advantage and the g/s is way better on road. I have toured with the bike and 75-80 all day isn't a problem. If there are cost advantages it's not having to deal with driveshafts whenever, slightly more detuned than the r100 so it isn't as hard on itself and it may hold or gain value better especially if mostly stock. If you gotta, you gotta. They both are great bikes JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

What I keep coming back to is that R80 ride report our in euroland, LuckyLuke I think?, riding his GS out in the middle of no-were

1 vote for the R80!

Quote:
Old 09-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
What I keep coming back to is that R80 ride report our in euroland, LuckyLuke I think?, riding his GS out in the middle of no-were

1 vote for the R80!

One new question, how are they two-up for around town and short freeway jaunts?

Quote:
Old 09-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,183
Ah, the G/S; truly, the good, the bad and the ugly all in one bike.

Relative to the GS, you give up top speed, some comfort, some stability, and a lot of vibration. And some weight and some fuel capacity. You lose a tacho, maybe. You lose tubeless tires, which is good or bad depending on your attitude. You lose clearance and suspension travel.

The R80 motor is a far smoother and happier lump than the R100. It's the only boxer I really like anymore. The R100 just never worked out. The liter engine always struggles; the 800 purrs, then spins up like some insane clock.

The forks on the GS are inadequate, but the forks on the G/S are awful. Terrifying. Obsolete even in 1981. NFG. The brake is lame. The rear brake is a joke.

I wouldn't want a stock G/S, though they can be made usable (see HPN...). I wouldn't want any GS.

Two-up. Feh. Fine if you're both midgets. GS has a little more room, a little more brake. It was okay for haulin' small gals around. I wouldn't want to go far with a pillion on either, but I'm tall and the boxers are cramped.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
cpatstone
N00b, obviously.

Oddometer: 347
Yo Solo -

Let's look at this differently. Want cure your desire for a G/S? Go test ride a KTM 950. The prices are coming down nicely, and the G/S's seem to be rising. My limited experience -- the 950 is a completely different animal, and the contrast makes both more interesting.

nah, pick up a G/S or ST, fix the suspension and front brake, and let your next of kin fight over it when you check out.

"Minds Awaken on roads less Taken" -- Magic Hat bottle cap inscription
cpatstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

All good points, but I see that you now ride a KLR, which makes my very suspect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Two-up. Feh. Fine if you're both midgets.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
BareRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
JTwind said it well. I love my R100GSPDs but I miss my R80. It was smoother on road and more nimble off road than the R100s. I put many a west Texas mile on my R80 with a friend who rode a K75. When we'd trade and ride I'd always want my R80 back and he wouldn't want to give it up. I recently rode a friends R80GS and it really made me miss mine. I regret selling the old girl and I'd buy another if I had the opportunity. I think you'd like an R80.

Now for what it's worth, the R100s will carry more and go a little faster. If you pack heavy for long trips or ride two up the R100 is probably more comfortable.

Follow your lust!

Here's a pic of me and my 81 with a PD tank I put on it. Overlooking I10 in west Texas 1985. Sorry for the quality of this picture of a picture.
Attached Images

BareRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

I really, really tried to like nice, new modern bikes better than airheads, really I did! ]

Every time I buy one I get tired of it and buy another airhead... besides, I rarely go more than 10 mph over the limit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatstone
Want cure your desire for a G/S? Go test ride a KTM 950.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,183
Quote:
All good points, but I see that you now ride a KLR, which makes my very suspect!

Dude... KTM 950 for more than two years now!
[jeebus, I swear I updated my profile a long time ago... ]

But yes, KLRs really suck two up. On the whole, KLR and R80 are in the same performance class, though the KLR is easier to ride and maintain.

Look, I have a kind of soft spot in my heart for the G/S, especially that 800cc motor. Otherwise, I'd not have said all those nice things about it.

Put another way, the GS will probably outperform the G/S in any objective measure, but I like the G/S better -- it has more potential to be a satisfying motorcycle.

Uh.. you saw this, right?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Thanks Stephen, I did and it get me thinking... but not the one I'd buy as I indend to ride my bikes as they were intended. And given the low mileage I would guess this one will take some sorting, seals and would definately be in need of some serious farklization. I'm not scared of miles on airheads (having owned a 92K R100RS), and would prefer to have one that was riden, used and upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Uh.. you saw this, right?

Quote:
Old 09-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #12
ADVnut
Still Looking

Oddometer: 177
R80 Vs. R100

I am with you on the newer bike thing. I have owned all types and always come back to the airhead.

I have never owned an R80G/S, but have ridden quite a few, and it may just be me, but it didn't handle as well as the R100 on the road. The 800 engine is much smoother, but I didn't feel like the the bike felt half as good on the pavement. To me the paralever handles better than the mono onroad. Yes, the paralever driveshaft needs to be beefed up for offroad goodness, but it can be made to be pretty reliable. You gotta ride the slab to get to the good dirt.

That being said, I would love to own an R80, but due to the cult status and the availability, the prices are pretty steep. I decided to build up an R100 to be as good onroad as off-- similar to the R80, but in in my opinion better.

So, I guess +1 for the R100GS. R80G/s is badass, but I gots to be realistic..

ADVnut

ADVnut screwed with this post 09-22-2006 at 04:12 PM
ADVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Charlie b
"Que pasa...?"

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
OK, I can admit this openly.... I cannot shake the desire to own an R80G/S. It nags at me constantly....
Solo, my 2c...

The 800 motor is THE airhead unit.
I have tried others, R60, sweet ride but underpowered, R100R, nice punchy motor and good road bike but so vibey it gave me numb hands 1 hour into a run, rubber mounted bars, double checking mounts, tuning etc never did improve things, put me off those motors and I went back to a mono R80 for my daily ride in UK. No question for me, the best size motor for smoothness/adequate power/longevity.

I decided to look for a G/S, (lighter bike, simpler and stronger monolever with the 800 motor) and not a later model. I advertised for one in the local paper and got a phone call... deal done and 5 years on I love it.

Sure it could do with more power, better front end but I enjoy it every trip.
Also for me, the G/S is the original and 'best' version before it got improved and heavier.
Like the Willys MB jeep... I've got a soft spot for the original jeep which like the G/S, later versions didn't necessarily improve as they moved further away from a good design with no frills.

Solo... if you gotta have one, get it out of your system and get one.
You will find a way... go on, I don't think you need much encouraging do you???

My '85 G/S on Ruta 40 north of Mendoza a couple of years back with the Andes in the background...
Attached Images

"Yes, London, you know; fish, chips, cup'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary Poppins... London!!!"
Denis Farina, "Snatch" 2000.

Charlie b screwed with this post 09-22-2006 at 05:09 PM
Charlie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,422
For a tall guy , is the seating position on the R80 similiar to the R100
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #15
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,354
R80..r100gs

I had my R100GS for sale...and yesterday.. I decided to keep it.I put many years planning how to rebuild the wrecked 95 R100GS. I tookthe best of all things.
The retro 80's look, the 70 big valve heads, the low first and high fifth.
The custom brown side stand. High compression pistons, 40 mm bings, kick start. The big PD tank, now I just found a R80 GS tank..that I will use off road.
I've taken lots of weight off the 95 and yes, the gremlins of the paralever
will haunt the R100GS .. but what a ride. Acceleration the growl of the and smoothness on the slab. Took off on fire road .. yesterday, lots of dusk on the black tank. Weights in below 400 lbs. Not a sand dune bike.. but riding stills I have.
I've ridden R80GS very nibble and great bike. It would be hard for me .. to trade this one now.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote