User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
josh_cox OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Good all weather riding suit?

I've been looking for a good all weather riding suit to buy. I've seen several different options, but right now, it looks like the Fieldsheer Highland suit fits the best all around suit with features and value. Click here to check it out.

If any of you have used it, please let me know what you think.

If you've used another comparable product that you would feel comfortable recommending, please post that and your thoughts.

I plan on using this suit in summer/winter/rain. I would like any advice on all year riding gear you have. Thanks!

Josh
Old 09-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
I have the Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and love it. I will say that it is uncomfortable in temperatures above 90 F when riding and above 80 F when sitting still in traffic. So far I have not had it leak on me in the rain and it has really good armour ( no I havent tested it ). I like the pockets except I wish it had rear pockets too. All in all I wish I had bought one years ago.
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,681
The Highland is a pretty stiff and heavy suit. Being in Florida, I put it on for perhaps one or two rides per year. That's if it is super nasty out. But I don't think I'll do that this year, as I have other choices which are a bit more comfy. I don't have any other suit I would recommend, as I kinda don't like the suits any more since they are so difficult to layer.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I can give you half of a report....I wear the Highland pants (but not the jacket). They are heavy and semi-stiff until you get them broken in, but they are always comfortable and I feel very protected with them on. Living in Indiana, I wear them in anything from low 40's to upper 90's. They do get warm, but not enought that I would ever think of riding in anything else. Quality workmanship, details, nice armor.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
If you're shopping for an all-weather riding suit, you MUST check out the Spidi Admiral. After too many years of leaking zippers in crotch area and bulky armor from my Roadcrafter, I saw the Admiral...gulped at the $899 price tag,struggled to understand italian sizing and in the end feel like the price is WELL WORTH the quality, safety and design features of this product. With current pricing for a Roadcrafter, the Spidi is a steal.

Fieldsheer? I know of only one rider who has one, do not know the model but its light grey with black trim. I know it is about half the cost of the Spidi or Roadcrafter but his leaked like a seive last winter. Not just at zippers but also at several seams and the armor is not same quality as Spidi. The guy eventually bought a Triumph 1-piece rain suit that's basically pvc coated nylon and it's high-viz yellow to boot. Wears his normal leather jacket, jeans and strap-on knee/shin guards, then pulls on the rainsuit. Its very inexpensive and it doesn't leak. Way more hassle and non-breathable vs the Spidi suit but if budget is tight, that's a far better solution than a leaky Fieldsheer suit, imo. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cox
I've been looking for a good all weather riding suit to buy. I've seen several different options, but right now, it looks like the Fieldsheer Highland suit fits the best all around suit with features and value. Click here to check it out.

If any of you have used it, please let me know what you think.

If you've used another comparable product that you would feel comfortable recommending, please post that and your thoughts.

I plan on using this suit in summer/winter/rain. I would like any advice on all year riding gear you have. Thanks!

Josh

I have this suit and use it almost exclusively in the winter time. I nikwaxed it and it has been waterproof for the most part. Time and exposure to rain at speed seems to get to every suit. I have wron it in the winter in the mountains down to approx. 35 degrees with the liner and long johns only underneath and was toasty. It will be too hot for the summer if it gets much above 85 where you live. Overall, it has been a very good suit for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #7
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,390
+1 for the 'stich. I have a one piece Roadcrafter and its FANTASTIC. The fact that you can wear your street clothes underneath and be able to get in and out of it in seconds, is huge. that, and the absolutely outstanding customer service you get from the folks at aerostich. you cant go wrong!

kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
MikeN
Ridemaster

Oddometer: 119
I have a Highland suit and really like out... I will agree the 1 piece is a heavy suit. I really only use it in the cold weather. I have a 2-piece leather suit I mainly use (many times jacket only)
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon
+1 for the 'stich. I have a one piece Roadcrafter and its FANTASTIC. The fact that you can wear your street clothes underneath and be able to get in and out of it in seconds, is huge. that, and the absolutely outstanding customer service you get from the folks at aerostich. you cant go wrong!

Another vote for Aerostich. My Roadcrafter was the most practical gear purchase I ever made.

(All-weather is a myth, though. Anything that keeps the cold wind out in the winter is going to be too hot in the summer, unless you live in Wisconsin. I switch to perforated leather in the summer. )
Old 09-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
I had a two piece fieldsheer suit, Glen Scott jacket and highland pants. I was very happy with my purchase and would have never got rid of them if they were not cut off by the EMT I recently picked up some Rev It gear and must say the quality is 10 times better but with a price check out there website. They make top notch gear www.revitusa.com
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,496
I've had a 'stich for a few years and it is great if you have to wear street clothes underneath (like going to work). But it's hot and bulky.

If I don't hafta wear street clothes, in warm or wet (with liners) I much prefer my Santiago 2pc. I think it's a good all weather, up to about 90F-ish and with a heated vest down to whatever. IMHO, slightly better'n my wife's Rukka - 3, which was my previous favorite.

I don't think there is an all weather though. I wear a mesh jacket (Venting Machine) when it's in the 90's or higher & carry a rainsuit, if needed.

Opinions vary.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote