ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Abandonded Gold Mine

This track takes you from HWY 622 to the old gold mine.Easy gravel road,watch for log trucks on weekdays.The main road is called the pipeline road,and goes from 622 to Sapawe sawmill.The old road leads off it to the north,and if the watercrossing is too deep(springtime) the eastern road can be used to access the mine.The track shows going in from the west,then the waterhole,and then the mine,and out the eastern road to Pipeline road.The mine is quite interesting and has a lot of the components still intact.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Gold Mine Abandonded.gpx (15.5 KB, 548 views)
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Photo of Mine

This is a shot of the headframe.North of Sapawe(100 miles west of Thunder Bay as the crow flies..........
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider
This track takes you from HWY 622 to the old gold mine.Easy gravel road,watch for log trucks on weekdays.The main road is called the pipeline road,and goes from 622 to Sapawe sawmill.The old road leads off it to the north,and if the watercrossing is too deep(springtime) the eastern road can be used to access the mine.The track shows going in from the west,then the waterhole,and then the mine,and out the eastern road to Pipeline road.The mine is quite interesting and has a lot of the components still intact.
Hey Hektoglider

Thanks for the track. I hope to get up that way next summer for a ride and camping excursion and am in the process of gathering interesting ideas for some side trips. I'm riding a big GS, is that water crossing much to tackel?

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Usually the watercrossing is shallow, gradually getting deeper with one deep holedeep(2-3ft)with football sized stones hidden under the water.If the water is high from a lot of rain,the whole crossing may be 100 feet long.I've done it at its worst on the 650 no problem.You need not go thru the water to get to the Gold Mine.As you travel down pipeline road,go past the road leading to the water crossing,and continue on until the track appears on your screen again.Follow it into the mine,only 2 miles or so of very easy double track.When I made the GPS track,I rode down pipeline road,turned into the old road with the watercrossing,stopped at the mine,and rode out a different road to pipeline road again.You can use this route to get in.It will become very clear to you as you ride there,all you really need is the waypoint.I hope this helps.Look for more good ADV data here,I have a lot to post over the winter months.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Gold Mine track w route.gpx (19.7 KB, 291 views)
Old 09-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Steep Rock Iron Mine

This mine shut down in 1980 or so,and is open to the public.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mine tour ADV.gpx (64.4 KB, 297 views)
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Info for SRIM track

This pic is from Waypoint 034.The whole area is fairly easy to ride,and even a big streetbike can go up there and follow the pavement to have a look around.To go up to wypts39 40,41, 42 I would suggest a more dirt style bike(650) especially wpt 40.The track "trespass" is just that,an illegal dangerous route,riding along railroad tracks for a while,etc.Do not go on it is the advice I give here.Waypoint 35 is across the water at the "washed" area,high on top of the ridge you can see an opening in the trees. The road just comes to the drop-off,slow down so you don't go over the edge....
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Usually the watercrossing is shallow, gradually getting deeper with one deep holedeep(2-3ft)with football sized stones hidden under the water.If the water is high from a lot of rain,the whole crossing may be 100 feet long.I've done it at its worst on the 650 no problem.You need not go thru the water to get to the Gold Mine.As you travel down pipeline road,go past the road leading to the water crossing,and continue on until the track appears on your screen again.Follow it into the mine,only 2 miles or so of very easy double track.When I made the GPS track,I rode down pipeline road,turned into the old road with the watercrossing,stopped at the mine,and rode out a different road to pipeline road again.You can use this route to get in.It will become very clear to you as you ride there,all you really need is the waypoint.I hope this helps.Look for more good ADV data here,I have a lot to post over the winter months.
Thanks Hektoglider

I've added these files to a folder I'm creating on TBay area rides I'd like to do. That photo makes the area look very inviting indeed.

Great stuff.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Hektoglider, just as an update to this area. As of Sept 2009 the area around this mine has become active again and is posted "No Tresspassing" with a cable across the road on the way in. Lots of exploration equipment and workers. Might save someone a trip for nothing.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Thanks for the updated info. I guess the price of gold has sparked some activity? Or maybe they are finally doing a proper decomish, and clean up. Yes, also most of those watercrossings are no longer passable. The beavers have caused some flooding. Its been a while since I went through there, springtime in 09......
Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Thanks for the updated info. I guess the price of gold has sparked some activity? Or maybe they are finally doing a proper decomish, and clean up. Yes, also most of those watercrossings are no longer passable. The beavers have caused some flooding. Its been a while since I went through there, springtime in 09......
Hey Hektoglider! I think the price of gold has deffinitely sparked some interest in the area again. I don't think it's a decomish, at least not yet. The watercrossings near the mine were fixed when I went the last time. I went in the back way, over some downed trees, no signs there but when I got there, there was lots of activity with machinery. Seemed they were staging on the far side of the mine and working up towards the lake. I toured the mine and then left out the road with the watercrossing. Got to the watercrossing and it was all fixed up, not much water. Then I ran into a cable across the road and realized I was on the back side of "No Tresspassing" signs. Strange they didn't mark the other road? Didn't think anyone would go in that way?
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
dsdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
sapawe

If anyone is planning to go to the sapawe gold mine... it has been recently taken down.
All that remains is the garage and some of the foundations . too bad.
dsdude is offline   Reply With Quote