User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
av8tr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Creston To Vancouver Route Suggestions

G'day all. I'm going to be picking up my new (to me anyways) bike in Montana and riding it back to Vancouver Island. I'll be crossing the border at Creston and I'm looking for any route suggestions or cool stuff to check out. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Stand Up
Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer: 360
Details?

How much time? Dirt? A 900m long tunnel where glizzly's hang out?
Stand Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Isle Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
From Creston continue up 3a along Kootenay lake (rated as the #1 road to ride on a MC in BC) and take the (free) ferry across from Crawford Bay. Once across, head north up 3A to Kaslo (consider stopping for a soak at Ainsworth Hot Springs if time allows). Hang a left at Kaslo and ride 31a to New Denver. From there, Hwy 6 to Nakusp, then south down to Fauquier. Take that (also free) ferry across Arrow Lake to Needles, and on to Vernon. From Vernon, take 97 to Kamloops, Hwy 1 to Cache Creek. Turn north on 97 and hang a left about 15kms north onto 99 which continues to Lillooet. From there, 99 to Whistler (Duffy Lake Road), and then along Howe Sound to the Horseshoe Bay Ferry

This is an AWESOME ride I've done many times . Almost all two lane, and few road tax collectors. Be wary of sand that gets blown on the road around Lillooet... don't ask.

Hope you like twisties!

Isle Rider screwed with this post 09-26-2006 at 10:05 PM
Isle Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromboli
From Creston continue up 3a along Kootenay lake (rated as the #1 road to ride on a MC in BC) and take the (free) ferry across from Crawford Bay. Once across, head north up 3A to Kaslo (consider stopping for a soak at Ainsworth Hot Springs if time allows). Hang a left at Kaslo and ride 31a to New Denver. From there, Hwy 6 to Nakusp, then south down to Fauquier. Take that (also free) ferry across Arrow Lake to Needles, and on to Vernon. From Vernon, take 97 to Kamloops, Hwy 1 to Cache Creek. Turn north on 97 and hang a left about 15kms north onto 99 which continues to Lillooet. From there, 99 to Whistler (Duffy Lake Road), and then along Howe Sound to the Horshoe Bay Ferry

This is an AWESOME ride I've done many times. Almost all two lane, and few road tax collectors. Be wary of sand that gets blown on the road around Lillooet... Don't ask. Hope you like twisties!

This guy knows what hes talking about! My suggestion exactly.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Oddometer: 1,638
[quote=av8tr]G'day all. I'm going to be picking up my new (to me anyways) bike in Montana and riding it back to Vancouver Island. I'll be crossing the border at Creston and I'm looking for any route suggestions or cool stuff to check out. Thanks![/quote

RIDE FIRST TO FLORIDA THEN TO MEXICO. PUT IT ON A BOAT AND GO TO SPAIN RIDE ALL THROUGH THE BIG "E" AND THEN TAKE ON THE USSR?????????????? IS THAT STILL GOING ON?????????/

hAVE FUN WHERE EVER YOU RIDE.

TR
TRACTOR RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromboli
From Creston continue up 3a along Kootenay lake (rated as the #1 road to ride on a MC in BC) and take the (free) ferry across from Crawford Bay. Once across, head north up 3A to Kaslo (consider stopping for a soak at Ainsworth Hot Springs if time allows). Hang a left at Kaslo and ride 31a to New Denver. From there, Hwy 6 to Nakusp, then south down to Fauquier. Take that (also free) ferry across Arrow Lake to Needles, and on to Vernon. From Vernon, take 97 to Kamloops, Hwy 1 to Cache Creek. Turn north on 97 and hang a left about 15kms north onto 99 which continues to Lillooet. From there, 99 to Whistler (Duffy Lake Road), and then along Howe Sound to the Horseshoe Bay Ferry

This is an AWESOME ride I've done many times . Almost all two lane, and few road tax collectors. Be wary of sand that gets blown on the road around Lillooet... don't ask.

Hope you like twisties!

What he said. I've done it numerous times as well.

Just to note, the 31A from Kaslo to New Denver was repaved this year (summer). This road is perfect! Scratch to your hearts delight.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
You could also go North of Kaslo to Lardeau etc and loop around thru Trout lake and then back south to Nakusp, then back on the route suggested earlier. This gives you awesome twisty roads and a good section of dirt road probably 60 km or more long. Either way you wont be disapointed.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Another option to what Kootenay Kid is saying is hanging a left at Westwold (west of Vernon on Hwy 97) and riding the Douglas Lake Ranch road to Quilchena (just east of Merritt). Then take either Hwy 8 out of Merritt to Spences Bridge or take Hwy 97c to Cache Creek via Logan Lake and Ashcroft. If you ride to Spences Bridge, you could then ride to Lytton and take the excellent Hwy 12 to Lillooet and catch up with Hwy 99 there.

Lots of great riding there.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
av8tr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks everyone! Life dictated a direct route home which turned out to be Hwy3 all the way to Vancouver. I was very tempted by many a road along the way but I will definitely get back into the mainland in the new year. For those who have not read it yet you can find my first ride report here.