ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
moto mike OP
who needs a front wheel ?

Oddometer: 363
what should i do around snowshoe?

Going to snowshoe this weekend with a bunch of adv riders from Pa. some will be on road bikes some will have ktm 950's. I'll be on a road bike and the plan is to ride down friday do whatever we want on sat. then ride home on sunday. So what should i do sat?

motorcycling is not a hobby, it's a passion
07 x challenge SOLD down to two bikes that sucks
07 1000 v-strom
06 honda crf250x
02 go-ped
It's all about motor bikes, always has been, always will be. (Long way down)
moto mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Ridir Frith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
things to do

Ride to seneca rocks then over to Elkins, eat pizza at gino's, check out the old depot (about 2 blocks from pizza). then ride back thru Huttonsville. Be sure to hit durbin and take a ride on the "rocket". Then take backmountian road (more curves than the Dragon in TN and it is 1 lane paved, two way traffic...really pretty to Cass and pick up route 66 back to Snowshoe. If you still have a few minutes, right out of Cass turn left again on backmountian road and ride down to Cloverlick, and try to remember it was a fairly good sized town...
Ride from snowshoe toward webster and take the burgoo road and it loops back with just about 2-3 miles of really good hard packed gravel road, otherwise it is great slow see the sights ride along the river. I did it on a meanstreak, lowered with a taildragger fender.
Gotta see cass and it's collections of SHAY and HEISLER locomotives.
There is a road off 219 (pick it up about 3 miles south of Marlinton) that is a parkway of such, it is a great ride. Check out the visitors center at the end of the parkway) When in Marlinton, the resturant that has the poarch over the river is great place to eat any meal at. French's rest. has the best breakfast I have found.
If you like history, the War Between the States Battlefield, Droop Mountian is worth a visit. If you're into high tech, go to the radio observatory in Greenbank
Those rides are in my order of recommended, Longest to shortest. LEO's there are quite understanding of Bikers. We spend a week there every year for the last 7 years. Gravel in every curve, deer in every shadow after 4 pm. RIDE AWARE!!!
Lewisburg and Elkins have m/c shops open 1/2 day on Sat.
Any other questions, just hollar.

V-STROM 1K
KLR 650 2007
Ridir Frith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
AaronADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto mike
Going to snowshoe this weekend with a bunch of adv riders from Pa. some will be on road bikes some will have ktm 950's. I'll be on a road bike and the plan is to ride down friday do whatever we want on sat. then ride home on sunday. So what should i do sat?
I am thinking of heading up thursday eve,Staying at marlinton motor inn, great place with resturant/bar. check out our pic thread from a few weeks ago

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167420

I would be happy to show you some super secret roads

here is a link to the motor inn, better deal than snowshoe
http://www.marlintonmotorinn.com/

Aaron
AaronADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
AaronADV
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like my dad will be meeting me on rt250 off of 81 around noon on thursday, we will be taking some gravel roads to marlinton, staying at the motor inn thursday,friday,saturday, Feel free to give me a call at 828-446-9137 if you would like to meet up. Dad will be leaving the harrisburg area around 8 am thursday

Thanks
Aaron
Old 09-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
AaronADV
Beastly Adventurer

Marlinton Motor inn

Here is a pic of the parking lot at the motor inn during one of the INternational CBX owners group rallys. To say the least they are biker friendy and go out of there way to make sure your stay is a good one.
On any given weekend the parking lot is about half full of bikes
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
AaronADV
Beastly Adventurer

Change of plans

Well it never fails, The motor inn is booked solid for the weekend along with everything else in the area. So I moved to plan "B". Last august we rented A house up at snowshoe and it worked really well. So we are doing the same again this weekend. the house will sleep 8-10 upstairs and is real close to the top of the mountain, we will be there thursday thru sunday

Aaron

link to house
http://www.rentfromus.net/index_files/page0001.htm