User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Oil light ON - PANIC - R75/5

I was riding when at one point the oil light flickered a few times and then came on. I stopped immediately, checked the oil (oil level is under the "max" mark). I wiggled the oil sensor wire as well, just to see if it was lose, nothing abnormal there.

I decided to push the bike home.

Some observations:
- I just did an oil change 2 days ago. Changed the filter, new gasket, new crush washer for the drain plug. 2 quarts of Spectro 20/50
- At the time when the oil light came on, the bike was running normal and did not present any symptoms.

My only guess is that i did not properly tied the oil filter or the 3 nuts that seal the chamber. Could that cause low pressure? Causing the oil light come on? Or could it be the wire?

I'm sopposed to ride this bike 400 miles in 2 days, so i'm panicking. What should I do? Any help or tips will be highly appreciated. The bike in question is a 1973 BMW R75/5

Thanks in advance. Daniel
d_mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
op48no1
What? Me worry?

Oddometer: 973
First thing I'd do is remove the oil filter cover and make sure you properly installed all the o-rings.

-Henry
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Hello Henry, as far as i know this bike does not have any o-rings, just a gasket. There are rings on the filter itself however, could they have gone in the wrong way or got pinched maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
First thing I'd do is remove the oil filter cover and make sure you properly installed all the o-rings.

-Henry
Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
op48no1
What? Me worry?

Oddometer: 973
Hey. There are R75/5 experts here who can advise you authoritatively. I see this on the fiche:

Looks like they offered two different cover schemes. I assume you have #3 and not #13 then...

I will have to defer to the experts. Meanwhile, don't panic...

-Henry
Old 09-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,183
There's a domed cover over the filter, secured by a bolt, and there's one o-ring under that cover, but I believe Henry is speaking of the later bikes. The cover I'm speaking of is under the outer cover that uses a gasket.

And it is possible to dislodge one of the rubber gaskets from the center of the oil filter, but I'd be surprised that you would build oil pressure, hold it for awhile, then lose it if this were the case.

Also, the oil pressure sending unit could be bad.

Someone else will surely have other ideas.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,592
The parts fiche picture covers several models. Lots of times when looking at those you have to know already what you are looking for. The pics can not be counted on for assembly order, method or even parts distribution.

The /5 has two small O-rings, one at each end of the filter. Check to see that one of the old O-rings wasn't left behind on the tube and therefore made two O-rings on the inside of the filter. For that matter check to see there wasn't an O-ring missing. Needs one O-ring on each side of the filter.

At the bottom of the oil filter cavity, in the back, you may have to lay on the ground to see clearly, there is a ball bearing stuck in the back wall. this is held in place and peaned so it doesn't fall out. Using a long skinny prod tool poke the ball bearing, it's really a check ball, to see that it moves and the spring causes it to come back forward to where it belongs. This is the oil bypass, I think.

Other ideas include, wrong oil filter? Or bad pressure sensor?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Understood Chollo9 and Disston. I will remove the filter and check if the two o-rings are attached and if there is an extra one from the old filter left inside. I remember paying attention to that issue of the left behind ring, but i may have done a mistake there or got distracted. I will do that now and report back. Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,756
I too believe you have a miss-installed filter .. but just to cover another possibility.

Basic wiring check ..
Don't start the bike but ..
Pull the wire off the oil pressure sensor.
Turn on the ignition and check that the oil pressure light is off. If it is on - you have a short somewhere (an electrical problem rather than an oil pressure problem).
Put the wire back on and check the oil pressure light is on.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
SculptD
Smells like tech

Oddometer: 420
O-rings? What stinkin' o-rings?

The modern filters with their handy rubber protuberances make those o-rings obsolete, AFAIK. I have never used them. I don't think you could snug it all up with the length of two o-rings added to the rubber sleeve on the filter.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

I removed the filter. I did not find any left behind o-rings from previous filter, the chamber appears empty, see attached. The filter itself appears undamaged, both o-rings are attached.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Warin, if you don't mind take a look at the picture in my previous post and let me know if you see anything unusual in there, to me is just an empty chamber.

I tested the wire like you suggested. light goes off if i detach it. Light comes back on if i attach it. So, we can say, not a ground issue.

What can i have done wrong in the installation of the filter, is there a front and back?

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
I too believe you have a miss-installed filter .. but just to cover another possibility.

Basic wiring check ..
Don't start the bike but ..
Pull the wire off the oil pressure sensor.
Turn on the ignition and check that the oil pressure light is off. If it is on - you have a short somewhere (an electrical problem rather than an oil pressure problem).
Put the wire back on and check the oil pressure light is on.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

you are correct, o-rings are attached to the filter, and that is what i have used. i did not add extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SculptD View Post
O-rings? What stinkin' o-rings?

The modern filters with their handy rubber protuberances make those o-rings obsolete, AFAIK. I have never used them. I don't think you could snug it all up with the length of two o-rings added to the rubber sleeve on the filter.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Disston, looking at my picture of the oil filter chamber, where is the ball bearing you are mentioning?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
At the bottom of the oil filter cavity, in the back, you may have to lay on the ground to see clearly, there is a ball bearing stuck in the back wall. this is held in place and peaned so it doesn't fall out. Using a long skinny prod tool poke the ball bearing, it's really a check ball, to see that it moves and the spring causes it to come back forward to where it belongs. This is the oil bypass, I think.

Other ideas include, wrong oil filter? Or bad pressure sensor?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Got to seal that canister tube to the engine case.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,914
Let's work the problem and not confuse things.

ScultpD hasit right_ the current filters have square-section o-rings bonded to the filters. Years ago the o-rings (#7) were separate items, and were sometimes left behind. D_mpls's filter housing has no errant o-rings. If the oil bypass (ball valve) at the end is bad, it would just pass unfiltered oil and not affect oil pressure (right away). It's not visible in your pic, hidden behind the central pipe.

BMW Oil Filters 101: http://largiader.com/tech/filters/

What filter # are you using? Even if the filter is "too short", you'll still get oil pressure. Just dirty oil.

The ONLY way you'll lose oil pressure on the /5 filter is of the domed cover (#6) is loose. The factory torque spec is pretty high on bolt #5, 15 ft-lbs, but I relax that spec a bit and torque to 12 ft-lb (don't have to torque it, but it's my way of double-checking).

That gasket (#4) on the outer cover looks rough. Replace it or use sealant (for the time being).

Check the oil pressure light. Warin has a good basic procedure for checking the bulb/pressure switch.

And hopefully it's just the switch, light or wiring...

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 05:53 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote